Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 09:38 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Protesters have knocked over a statue in front of a courthouse in Durham, North Carolina.

Durham protesters topple Confederate statue outside courthouse | abc11.com

Should folks on social media inform the employers of these protesters considering they've committed a criminal act?

Folks who simply attended the rally this past weekend in Virginia were doxxed. These folks who took part in toppling the statue have actually broken the law.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...GS_14-132.html

Will you support outing these protesters? Did you support outing the protesters this past weekend?
Absolutely. Vandalism, especially when it involves the destruction of taxpayer-funded property, absolutely needs to be punished. Now, as far as "doxing"-wouldn't her employer (assuming she actually has one) find out if she spends a couple months in jail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 09:39 PM

319 posts, read 199,068 times
Yes, so that their jobs can give them promotions!

Old 08-14-2017, 10:16 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Absolutely. Vandalism, especially when it involves the destruction of taxpayer-funded property, absolutely needs to be punished. Now, as far as "doxing"-wouldn't her employer (assuming she actually has one) find out if she spends a couple months in jail?
I don't know if anyone was arrested today.

I'm sure law enforcement could find out the identities of these folks. Let's see if they prosecute.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:19 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
But this is factually incorrect.

Maybe you're talking about perception and I could see your point. Simply connecting anyone there to the totality of the event.

The guy from Reno was doxed yet killed nobody and committed no crime.

Those who took the statue down killed nobody but committed a crime.

One would think the doxing order of business would start with law breakers and go down from there.
I am talking about perception. Most people won't care about vandalism compare to screaming racists at a rally that resulted in a death.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
One person was charged with murder this past weekend. Singular, not plural.
Ok. So? How about assault? Both of which are very different than vandalism.

Not enough people are going to care. I don't care. But if someone gets IDed and their private employer wants to fire then that is within their rights.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Lol. You're deluded. Unless these people have priors the worst they will get is fines.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:29 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,599,094 times
Quote:
Protesters have knocked over a statue in front of a courthouse in Durham, North Carolina.

Durham protesters topple Confederate statue outside courthouse | abc11.com

Should folks on social media inform the employers of these protesters considering they've committed a criminal act?

Folks who simply attended the rally this past weekend in Virginia were doxxed. These folks who took part in toppling the statue have actually broken the law.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...GS_14-132.html

Will you support outing these protesters? Did you support outing the protesters this past weekend?
I think they should be arrested. They destroyed property.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ok. So? How about assault? Both of which are very different than vandalism.

Not enough people are going to care. I don't care. But if someone gets IDed and their private employer wants to fire then that is within their rights.
I'm just trying to understand the mindset.

It's pretty confusing because I don't see the principle behind doxing if you aren't in a contractual agreement with someone to do so.

When 4chan doxed CNN employees they did it as retaliation for CNN threatening to dox a meme creator and/or sharer.

That I could understand.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I'm just trying to understand the mindset.

It's pretty confusing because I don't see the principle behind doxing if you aren't in a contractual agreement with someone to do so.

When 4chan doxed CNN employees they did it as retaliation for CNN threatening to dox a meme creator and/or sharer.

That I could understand.
Ok. Yesterday people all over social media were angry about the racists who held a rally that turned violent and needed with death and many people in the hospital. They saw all the angry frat bros, klans,en, whatever, and did not want them to just drive back to their towns and feel no repercussions. If they are going to go to someone's town and scream about racism, than that can follow them home. Public shaming 101. So people shared their pictures, hundreds of thousands of times until friends of friends of friends IDed these people. And their employers, classmates, friends and family could see them in all their tiki torch bat wielding glory.

No enough people cares enough about vandalizing a statue to share a picture or video all over the internet. It just won't get the traction it needs.

Contracts have nothing to do with it. The racists and nazis were doxxed because a whole lot of people don't like racists and nazis. Same cannot be said about vandals.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ok. Yesterday people all over social media were angry about the racists who held a rally that turned violent and needed with death and many people in the hospital. They saw all the angry frat bros, klans,en, whatever, and did not want them to just drive back to their towns and feel no repercussions. If they are going to go to someone's town and scream about racism, than that can follow them home. Public shaming 101. So people shared their pictures, hundreds of thousands of times until friends of friends of friends IDed these people. And their employers, classmates, friends and family could see them in all their tiki torch bat wielding glory.

No enough people cares enough about vandalizing a statue to share a picture or video all over the internet. It just won't get the traction it needs.

Contracts have nothing to do with it. The racists and nazis were doxxed because a whole lot of people don't like racists and nazis. Same cannot be said about vandals.
I can see that but it clashes with the staunch "law and order" side of folks who oppose an owner's right to refuse service to anyone he wants.

I'm constantly told that "protected classes", as codified by government via law, is the reason why a business owner can't refuse service to certain people.

Here, the law is so paramount to these folks they find it necessary to force, at gunpoint, a man to provide the fruits of his labor to another.

That's the definition of slavery to me, codified or not.

So on one hand you have people who did not violate the law (that we know of) get doxed yet on the other hand a law breaker will probably not get doxed.

See the logical and moral inconsistency? If you felt that the protesters this past weekend should be doxed then you should really want to dox those who broke the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies