Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 08:12 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,785,279 times

Advertisements

Today I was cleaning my daughters room and came across a couple of her workbooks and papers from school.
This was proof that they do not teach American history in schools but they will sure teach other stuff.
Don't get me wrong, how the curriculum was set up, it's interesting to see how they include grammar in with history but this really irritated me.
One book is "Islamic Empires in the Middle Ages", the second one was "American Revolution". The one they used the most was the "Islamic Empires in the Middle Ages". This is from a public school.
I don't mind if my kids learn about other countries and people who contributed to what our world is today. The part that infuriated me the most is the lack of our schools actually teaching American History. After seeing this it made more sense as to why there seems to be a lack of knowledge when it comes to American history and how it's repeating itself.
The only thing I remotely like about the curriculum is that it has them learn something while correcting the grammar, using correct punctuation etc. But when my child can tell me more about Muhammad and nothing about our country's history something is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 08:13 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,500,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Today I was cleaning my daughters room and came across a couple of her workbooks and papers from school.
This was proof that they do not teach American history in schools but they will sure teach other stuff.
Don't get me wrong, how the curriculum was set up, it's interesting to see how they include grammar in with history but this really irritated me.
One book is "Islamic Empires in the Middle Ages", the second one was "American Revolution". The one they used the most was the "Islamic Empires in the Middle Ages". This is from a public school.
I don't mind if my kids learn about other countries and people who contributed to what our world is today. The part that infuriated me the most is the lack of our schools actually teaching American History. After seeing this it made more sense as to why there seems to be a lack of knowledge when it comes to American history and how it's repeating itself.
The only thing I remotely like about the curriculum is that it has them learn something while correcting the grammar, using correct punctuation etc. But when my child can tell me more about Muhammad and nothing about our country's history something is wrong.
Do yourself and your daughter a favor and homeschool.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:27 PM

29,471 posts, read 16,449,350 times
Quote:
I dont know what State you are in, but here in alabama each grade learns something different.

Kindergarten - second grade = Family construct
third grade = US Geography
Fourth grade = Alabama State History
5th and 6th = US history generalized
7th = World Geography/Civics
8th = World history up until 1500
9th = World History after 1500
10th = US history Pensacola/ St.Augustine and original settlements up to Industrial revolution
11th = Industrial revolution to to Present
12th = US government/Economics

My guess is that your daughters are in the 8th grade if your state is close to mine. Also, you could take History electives in high school, so your daughter could be taking Middle eastern/African history.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
Do yourself and your daughter a favor and homeschool.
I may have to supplement with American History. 90% of the time if the tv it's on some kind of history or science show. They prefer it more than cartoons.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I dont know what State you are in, but here in alabama each grade learns something different.

Kindergarten - second grade = Family construct
third grade = US Geography
Fourth grade = Alabama State History
5th and 6th = US history generalized
7th = World Geography/Civics
8th = World history up until 1500
9th = World History after 1500
10th = US history St.Augustine and original settlements up to Industrial revolution
11th = Industrial revolution to to Present
12th = US government/Economics

My guess is that your daughters are in the 8th grade if your state is close to mine. Also, you could take History electives in high school, so your daughter could be taking Middle eastern/African history.
She's was the 4th grade (going into the 5th). They learn about the state history throughout the entire time they are in schools here.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:56 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,937,530 times
Browse used book stores and find American History books from the late 1800s to early 1900s.
I had one that was printed in 1898. It is about 10 X 12, and 4 inches thick. All of my kids enjoyed taking the thing to school and asking the teacher "If this book is THIS big, and our text book is 8 1/2 X 11, and only 1 1/2 inches thick, what did they leave out?"
None of the teachers had a really good answer...
Come to think of it, that book just might be in a box out in the garage. I may dig it out and allow my grandkids to read it.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:56 PM

24,339 posts, read 17,072,043 times
With all the talk about the controversy of the Civil War statues it has me thinking about my experiences in school with American History. It was years ago but from Middle school through college I can't remember much emphasis on US History but do remember it was viewed by many of my peers as dull and boring. I can only imagine how kids feel about it today when everything is so fast.

To kids the history of rap, marvel comics and Kardashians is a lot more exciting then learning about some old dudes doing stuff.

I would want my kid learning about US history over world history. You could always teach your child yourself.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:19 PM

1,235 posts, read 729,461 times
Quote:
Tells me you are not an active participant in what your daughter learns. Tells me you're not fine tuned to her academics. You're not paying attention if you're just finding out she's learning Islamic History (which I doubt anyway).

Do you go to her progress meetings? Ever glance upon her work (when she does have homework)? Do you attend parent teacher conferences? All of this, and more and you would not be surprised. Did you ask her what she's learned thus far?

Old 08-15-2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Browse used book stores and find American History books from the late 1800s to early 1900s.
I had one that was printed in 1898. It is about 10 X 12, and 4 inches thick. All of my kids enjoyed taking the thing to school and asking the teacher "If this book is THIS big, and our text book is 8 1/2 X 11, and only 1 1/2 inches thick, what did they leave out?"
None of the teachers had a really good answer...
Come to think of it, that book just might be in a box out in the garage. I may dig it out and allow my grandkids to read it.
That's pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
Tells me you are not an active participant in what your daughter learns. Tells me you're not fine tuned to her academics. You're not paying attention if you're just finding out she's learning Islamic History (which I doubt anyway).

Do you go to her progress meetings? Ever glance upon her work (when she does have homework)? Do you attend parent teacher conferences? All of this, and more and you would not be surprised. Did you ask her what she's learned thus far?
Actually quite the opposite. I'm very active and on first name basis with a few of her teachers and people who are around her at school. She has excelled at school this year because she is receiving the extra help that I pushed for her to get. This school actually listened to me as a parent because she had struggled in the past and her previous school did nothing. It's a little eye opening when your child can tell you all about Muhammad and nothing about American History.
Since you doubt....here ya go.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:19 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,932,524 times
Quote:
The public schools my kids have been in always always always -- even in high school send out syllabus at the beginning of the year outlining the course work, text to be used, etc. and have the parents sign it. That's two different states, three different school boards with that policy.

You say you are involved but you are just finding these books now -- that's confusing to me.

I see it is Unit 4. That would mean that particular unit was part of the curriculum for that year. There were other units -- like the American Revolution - which was Unit 7. There might have been more units.

I know the three school districts I live in the kids all had American history and other history and cultures taught at every grade level.

I would request a copy of the curriculum for Grade 5 (These books are grade 4 I think) for all the subjects. You should know what child will be learning (Again I thought most school boards did that).

I think if you talk to the teachers or administrators you will find out that your daughter may not have brought home the text book with the US history information but that US history is a part of her curriculm every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies