Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 10:17 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Confederates committed treason against the US government.
Mexico didn't.

(fwiw, I'm a 100% bona fide certified DAC, i.e. Daughter of the Confederacy on both maternal and paternal sides, with nary a trace of Yankee blood.)
In what way did they commit treason against the US government? According to the constitutions of many states, and the understanding at the time of the founding of the United States, the individual states joined the US voluntarily, and had the right leave the same way. They exercised that right...and when they did the US government continued to illegally occupy property on what at that point was a sovereign nation. If there was "treason"-it was by Lincoln...against the Constitution of the United States-when he declared war on an independent nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 10:18 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
How does the government commit acts aimed at harming Americans? Also a Mexican citizen who harms an American citizen is just that a Mexican citizen that harmed an American. Also when did mexicans start chanting kill white Americans as I haven't heard any of that at all.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:19 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
You obviously entirely missed my point... just as I think I'm missing yours.
Your point is that it's repulsive because of what it represents, my point is losers don't get to mark their territory.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:20 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Is the Confederacy an enemy of the United States, or a threat to US citizens, TODAY? If so, yes, I can absolutely see every reason to denounce the flag and what it represents. That would be no different than the Soviet flag when Americans we dying to protect people from Communism. The difference...today Mexico, both the government and some of the population, do still, intentionally, commit acts aimed at harming the United States.
Many of those who choose to fly the flag of the Confederacy are a threat to the United States. It has become intertwined with White Supremacists and KKK ideologies.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:21 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Is the Confederacy an enemy of the United States, or a threat to US citizens, TODAY? If so, yes, I can absolutely see every reason to denounce the flag and what it represents. That would be no different than the Soviet flag when Americans we dying to protect people from Communism. The difference...today Mexico, both the government and some of the population, do still, intentionally, commit acts aimed at harming the United States.
Nazi Germany also doesn't exist. Should the state capital of Kansas have a flag for the Third Reich? Should California have a red flag brandishing the hammer and sickle replace every American flag?

My opinion: a Mexican American can have the Mexican flag waving on their lawn. I'd like to see them wave an American flag along side it. Both are part of their identity. I see no contradiction there. The Confederate flag, which is usually the Confederate Battle Flag (as in used during war against the United States) represents a state the rebelled against the US. The American Civil War was the bloodiest conflict in US history. All because a few states wanted to keep their slaves.

There's a reason the Israeli flag isn't often seen with a swastika waving next to it. I feel that same logic may apply here.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:23 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
We DO have Mexicans marching in the streets advocating the murder of white Americans, attacking Americans of other races, committing violent acts and flagrantly violating our laws. So...where are the liberals denouncing them? Demanding all signs of their heritage be destroyed? Condemning them as violent, ignorant racists?
Where?

You live in Idaho - - stick with grizzlies, bunkers, and things that people from Idaho know about. I'll tell you if any of that stuff actually starts happening in a place that actually has Mexicans.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:25 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
In what way did they commit treason against the US government?
While the Confederacy on the whole didn't commit treason, 4 states did as they declared War on the U.S and pledged allegiance to the Confederacy prior to seceding from the U.S.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:36 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
In what way did they commit treason against the US government? According to the constitutions of many states, and the understanding at the time of the founding of the United States, the individual states joined the US voluntarily, and had the right leave the same way. They exercised that right...and when they did the US government continued to illegally occupy property on what at that point was a sovereign nation. If there was "treason"-it was by Lincoln...against the Constitution of the United States-when he declared war on an independent nation.
Revisionist history?
The Southern states who joined the Confederacy committed treason against the US by seceding in the first place.
They used no legal recourse through Congress but just declared Secession.
Lincoln should have let the Southern slave states leave the Union because their economic racist plan would have eventually failed in the end.

Name one nation today that is prosperous on "slave" labor?

Most of the Southern states are still economic basket cases save perhaps for Florida (Which isn't really all that "Southern" to begin with considering Yankees developed most of the state)

Old 08-14-2017, 10:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
There are obvious parallels. The United States fought a war with Mexico...the same as with the CSA. Mexico has a strong history of slavery, same as the CSA. Citizens flying that flag do so embracing a country that was an enemy of the United States...that supported slavery.

I want to know...are liberals as quick to decry and denounce those that fly that hate-filled flag and celebrate their heritage as readily as they do those with the Rebel flag?
Why would I as a liberal denounce the Mexican Flag? For what?

Old 08-14-2017, 10:41 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Nazi Germany also doesn't exist. Should the state capital of Kansas have a flag for the Third Reich? Should California have a red flag brandishing the hammer and sickle replace every American flag?

My opinion: a Mexican American can have the Mexican flag waving on their lawn. I'd like to see them wave an American flag along side it. Both are part of their identity. I see no contradiction there. The Confederate flag, which is usually the Confederate Battle Flag (as in used during war against the United States) represents a state the rebelled against the US. The American Civil War was the bloodiest conflict in US history. All because a few states wanted to keep their slaves.

There's a reason the Israeli flag isn't often seen with a swastika waving next to it. I feel that same logic may apply here.
So by the same logic, it's perfectly fine for a person of southern heritage have a confederate battle flag, so long as they have a US flag flying next to it? And they won't be condemned for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies