Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:58 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,973,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
While you might think using Google to look up a reporters bent is helpful (and I commend you for making the effort), the results you find probably are not what it seems.
Companies with vast sums of $$$ are intentionally demonizing reporters who do not follow their agenda, and actually alter the Google search results. They will create a so called reliable source or fact checking group, and fabricate stories about who they perceive as a threat to their interests/candidates/corporation.

They will then use tactics to get the fake/fabricated stories on the first page, and push objective reviews/journalism to page 7.
Needless to same most people will only take the time to go to page 1, maybe page 2 then they give up.

See my previous post and read Attkisson's book. It will open your eyes to things you have only suspected or never even thought might be going on in the murky world of so called journalism.

`
I know how SEO works, most people don't even go past page one of the results, I'm not most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 11:01 AM

37,179 posts, read 19,179,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The liberal media is to blame for this too. Nazi propagandist Joe Goebbels said, “A lie told once remains a lie but a lie told a thousand times becomes the truth.” Hearst (one of the nation’s largest diversified media), one said, "You furnish the pictures and I’ll furnish the war.” The viewers of the liberal media are lied to so much they believe what their told is the truth, they are furnishing the war.

The power of the media over how people think cannot be overestimated.
That's why I don't pay attention to domestic media. All of it has been cooked to the taste of a predetermined audience. The most reliable domestic source is NPR, the worst is Fox. I get 90% of my news from Reuters, BBC, teh Guardian, and Al Jazeera.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:05 AM

37,179 posts, read 19,179,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Seriously, climate change? If you can stop climate change please at least make my area in the mid 80's all year round. We had a horrible summer, probably 5 days max above 85 degrees. Mostly high 70's
Climate Change doesn't necessarily mean that everything gets warmer. It means that weather patterns are disrupted and unreliable. The warming at the poles releasing more water into the oceans is also changing the tides, which changes the way weather fronts move around the globe.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:38 AM

1,548 posts, read 912,678 times
Witness the power of the media: I don't see one Russia thread in the forum now. All they had to do was broadcast a bunch of images from that riot and now every other thread is race this, race that. We certainly are obedient monkeys.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:22 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I'm yawning because you're a predictable bore.
So that's all you got is personal attacks instead of having something to contribute? pfft, surprise, surprise, typical liberal response when they've been out debated.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
The irony here is both of you seem to think that only one side is engaging in smears, lies, propaganda, astroturf, etc., etc.

In reality both sides of the political spectrum and culture wars are doing things as innocuous as slanting actual stories from an ideological perspective, to as insidious as making up total fabrications in an effort to destroy the opposition. This is not only happening in the political arena, but also in the corporate world and other places few know about.

Sharyl Attkisson's new book entitled "The Smear" exposes how modern day tactics have totally altered what is considered professional journalism by what could be termed The Industrial Smear Complex.
She is not a left or right leaning journalist, and has a record of going after both Republicans, Democrats and huge corporations for wrongdoing.

She gives multiple examples throughout the book from being "Borked" to "Swiftboating", and exposes political smear merchants and the billionaires like Soros and the Koch's who fund them.
So there is something for everyone in this book to help open your eyes to what is going on behind the scenes, that we believe is news and grassroot efforts;

https://www.amazon.com/Smear-Shady-P.../dp/0062468162

`
Thank you, I'll check it out. That's why I stopped listening to the media. I still do have my opinions and will continue to stand by MY values but I know that they are professionals and both sides are well versed in word games to manipulate the masses. I'm disgusted with the entire thing and just wish they'd stop the nonsense.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
Witness the power of the media: I don't see one Russia thread in the forum now. All they had to do was broadcast a bunch of images from that riot and now every other thread is race this, race that. We certainly are obedient monkeys.
Worse, they beat it death just like Russia was beat. It's pretty easy if you think about it. Tune in and then tune in a month or two, same thing.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
In reality both sides of the political spectrum and culture wars are doing things as innocuous as slanting actual stories from an ideological perspective, to as insidious as making up total fabrications in an effort to destroy the opposition. This is not only happening in the political arena, but also in the corporate world and other places few know about.

She gives multiple examples throughout the book from being "Borked" to "Swiftboating", and exposes political smear merchants and the billionaires like Soros and the Koch's who fund them. So there is something for everyone in this book to help open your eyes to what is going on behind the scenes, that we believe is news and grassroot efforts;

The Smear: How Shady Political Operatives and Fake News Control What You See, What You Think, and How You Vote
“They’e convinced that the truth is being hidden from them on a massive scale. That someone is manipulating what they see on the news and online. Conspiring to hide select facts and advance particular narratives. Colluding on plots to smear certain people. Their suspicions are correct, often by grand design.

We didn’t get her overnight. The past two decades have served as an ideal incubator for an industry of smears and fake news. Incredible amounts of money change hands, yet some of the most damaging smears can be accomplished with little more than an idea and an internet connection. Today, an entire movement can be started with a few bogus Twitter accounts and 140 characters or less.

What is a smear? It’s an effort to manipulate opinion by promulgating an overblown, scandalous, and damaging narrative.

Smear artist comes in: a character assassin driven by passion, ideology, and money. The smear business is interminable and eminently profitable. It’s silently turned into one of the largest white collar industries in DC making thousands of people rich. And if we aren’t useful to the effort? weight find ourselves the target of a smear. Within these pages are smear secrets exposed

Old 08-15-2017, 08:54 PM

When you see numerous media outlets use almost the identical language and phrasing to describe a story, it is no accident; they are responding to cues given them by paid political operatives. “If enough pundits, operatives, and media parrot the same narrative, it becomes incorporated into the fabric of the news as an accepted fact.”

Nazi propagandist Joe Goebbels said, “A lie told once remains a lie but a lie told a thousand times becomes the truth.”

Old 08-15-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
LOL, true. This thread won't get much attention either because we're too busy talking about what the media dictates we talk about. Yes, we are all certainly obedient monkeys. Maybe next time I tune in we'll be following in the footsteps of Mao and burning books. Ok, I'm going to kick back and watch a comedy

Last edited by petch751; 08-15-2017 at 09:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies