Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we remove all tributes to these two slave owners?
Yes 19 12.93%
No 128 87.07%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 03:45 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Should we remove Thomas Jefferson and George Washington memorials, tributes and statues, including their images on Mount Rushmore, since each owned more than 300 slaves?
This would hurt the economy (DC tourism), so we shouldn't do it.

I don't think any tourists are going to bumfolk, SC to visit Jeff Sessions great grandparents memorial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 03:45 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Well hell, lets just get rid of any and everything confederate. Any street named Lee or Jackson has got to go. The town of Ramsuer NC is named for a confederate general, change it. Pender county in NC is named for a confederate general, change that as well. There must be thousands of landmarks named for participants in the confederacy. Every one is obscene and pays homage to to a bunch of slavers. It's ridiculous and offensive. There should be nothing that ever makes us even think of those bunch of looser, traitor, slave whippers. While we are at it, destroy all the copies of Gone With the Wind and forbid it ever to be seen again, same for Cold Mountain and any other movie that that dares portray any 1800 era southerner in a favorable light. Lets find any ancestors of Civil War confederate soldiers and charge them with conspiracy to traffic humans. Everyone of them should be held accountable and at least turn over all their wealth so it can be redistributed to the ancestors of slaves as compensation. Maybe than there will be some justice.
The way I see it, no one should ever honor the Confederates. The Confederate cause was not honorable, it is not honorable. History shows they are traitors with the expressed goal of keeping the institution of slavery going. They deserve no honors, period. So yes, I would like to see streets and towns renamed. I would like to see Confederate statues come down. You want to fly a Confederate flag on your property? Your business. It should never fly from any public buildings, ever.

Now, I have no intentions of burning copies of Gone With The Wind. No one is going after that.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:50 PM

Why don't I see a lot of discussion of this:

"In his writings on American grievances justifying the Revolution, he attacked the British for sponsoring the slave trade to the colonies. In 1778, with Jefferson's leadership, slave importation was banned in Virginia, one of the first jurisdictions worldwide to do so. Jefferson was a lifelong advocate of ending the trade and as president led the effort to criminalize the international slave trade that passed Congress and he signed in 1808, a year after the British did the same thing."

This probably makes him a enemy of the righties here - who will now (that they have learned something) probably tear down the memorials themselves.....

Unfortunately, they can't change their votes....

Old 08-15-2017, 03:55 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
For sure, all of these monuments will be destroyed within my lifetime. It will be cool to see.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:07 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
No one is touching these statues, and we don't need vigilante "Oath Keepers" to do so. Good lord - get a grip.

No one is going to attack and kill the Queen of England, because she has the Royal Guard.

The Oath Keepers will make sure there is no funny business.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Oath Keepers will make sure there is no funny business.
We'll see what they do when the Bundy conspiracists are jailed.

Opps....
"A Phoenix man was sentenced to more than 68 years in federal prison for his role as a gunman in a standoff that stopped federal agents from rounding up cattle near Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch in 2014...."

Where are the Oath Keepers? Looks to me like they are more interested in protecting the "rights" of extraction industries and those who steal from the US Public.

I guess they make up what is considered "constitutional" or not. That's gotta be fun.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:46 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Not possible, Johnson himself (if it's the same person - there's some doubt - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Johnson_(colonist)) was himself a captured slave from Angola & sold as an indentured slave in the Virginia Colony. & therefore he couldn't possibly be the first slave owner in the Colonies - unless we're going to argue that he owned himself, & sold himself into slavery to himself?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Johnson_(colonist)
Read it all, not just the part you like.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:16 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Jefferson wasn't treasonous to his own country.

Maybe we can add a Mussolini, Ho Chi Mihn, and Saddam Hussein monuments to the Robert E Lee ones. All were enemies of the United States.
So, does that mean we shouldn't be concerned about slavery but about treason when it comes to statue removal?

Old 08-16-2017, 03:32 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
You will see that the response is 6:1 "no" right now.

Hannity or whomever it was only made the entire situation worse today in his Fox speil by inflamming people who are already anti-liberal (and by that I mean intolerant) that any great numbers of liberals really would want that to happen.

I'm not even convinced that the 10 who voted yes so far are not just trolling.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
You will see that the response is 6:1 "no" right now.

Hannity or whomever it was only made the entire situation worse today in his Fox speil by inflamming people who are already anti-liberal (and by that I mean intolerant) that any great numbers of liberals really would want that to happen.

I'm not even convinced that the 10 who voted yes so far are not just trolling.
So, are you saying the call for statue removal isn't about slavery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies