Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 02:53 PM

72,875 posts, read 62,373,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Sure that's going to happen. We shall just blow up the Washington Monument and Monticello because Washington and Jefferson were Slave owners too? Should we also destroy every Mosque/Koran in the US because Mohammad was responsible for the model of Slavery for 1400 years?

The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson | History | Smithsonian

Ten Facts About Washington & Slavery*·*George Washington's Mount Vernon

10 Facts About The Arab Enslavement Of Black People Not Taught In Schools - Atlanta Black Star
So what? Jefferson and Washington didn't wage a war in a last ditch attempt to keep slavery. They understood that slavery would be a dividing issue for the USA, and it would eventually have to go away.

As for the Arabs, that was over in the Middle East. I am talking about what happened here in THIS country, so don't come here with this deflection crap.

The Confederates wanted secession BECAUSE they wanted to keep slavery. They were traitors to the USA as they fired upon the USA.

No, we are not going to blow up Washington Monument. Comparing the Founding Fathers to the Confederates is a false equivalency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 02:55 PM

52,547 posts, read 34,276,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
They should put up a plaque speaking to the history of the actual reliefs. They were finished in the 1970s and were carved as a response to the Civil Rights Movement and are a symbol of racism.

It is crazy to me that so many black people go there. I lived in metro Atlanta nearly 20 years and only went twice at the urging of a friend and didn't want to go either time.

Former KKK members admit they used to have KKK rallies at the park on GA PBS channel documentaries. People were probably lynched in that park. They should put up a memorial to the lynching victims of Georgia in the park instead of removing the reliefs IMO. It would cost too much to remove, but an educational site about the history of the KKK in Stone Mountain and the men reflected on the mountain along with a monument to GA lynching victims would be appropriate IMO.
any evidence for this? anything at all?

or is it just your vivid imagination/persecution complex at work?

Old 08-15-2017, 03:00 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,771,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
A few pounds of the right explosives and the faces of those scumbag Confederates would be erased from Stone Mountain forever. The carving at Stone Mountain was designed and funded by the KKK.

We're doomed.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:01 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,954,736 times
how about they just cover it up with a sheet?

Old 08-15-2017, 03:06 PM

129 posts, read 117,780 times
I used to live near Stone Mountain. Instead of sandblasting or jack-hammering the carving, wouldn't it be easier to fill it in with concrete and stain it to look like the rest of the mountain? Or perhaps modify the figures to look like other people (the Allman Brothers Band, perhaps)? I dunno, just a thought...

Old 08-15-2017, 03:17 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
any evidence for this? anything at all?

or is it just your vivid imagination/persecution complex at work?
No imagination or persecution complex. I have a great life and am glad I was born in the era I was.

I based my words on the fact that the KKK had a strong hold in Stone Mountain, GA and it was re-born there in the state of Georgia. There was a reason that MLK mentioned it in his "I Have a Dream" speech. The Klan regularly burned crosses on top of the mountain. They also helped to fund the carvings.

Also, I lived in metro Atlanta for nearly 20 years as I mentioned and older black people there told me that blacks were lynched on the mountain and thrown off of it in the early 1900s.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:22 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,427,722 times
Google "stone mountain kkk images". Lots of KKK action at Stone Mountain.

There is also a civil war museum there - at the park.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:30 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,562,262 times
Quote:
the crybaby onslaught continues

Abrams calls for removal of Confederate faces off Stone Mountain

Abrams calls for removal of Confederate faces off Stone Mountain | Political Insider blog

I went by Stone Mountain, when I was heading for my duty station in the Army. I was impressed by its size and magnificent presence. It's the world's second-largest monolith, smaller only than Uluru, in Australia. But when I heard about it being defaced with that Confederate sculpture, I was appalled. I wholeheartedly support its removal.

But you can bet that sculpture wouldn't be there, if the Confederacy had won the war. They would have gone broke on their own and would have had no resources to erect statues. Having lost the war and then having the Union to rebuild the mess they'd caused, was the best thing that happened to them. Whether or not it was the best thing for the Union, is debatable.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:05 PM

7,754 posts, read 6,334,569 times
These guys are like the Taliban blowing up antiquities in Afghanistan. "It offends them".

Old 08-15-2017, 06:14 PM

3,350 posts, read 1,221,892 times
Quote:
the crybaby onslaught continues

Abrams calls for removal of Confederate faces off Stone Mountain

Abrams calls for removal of Confederate faces off Stone Mountain | Political Insider blog
This white, educated Georgian wholeheartedly agrees. Keep the history (battlefields, cemeteries, artifacts and homes from the Civil War era) as memorials. Memorials erected during the Jim Crow years do not reflect the "United" in United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies