Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 01:50 PM

8,689 posts, read 11,078,805 times

Advertisements

I am ok with Kimmel. I can take a joke if its a funny line. It's Stephen Colbert who is obsessed with hating Donald Trump.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Kimmel works for abc, nuff said.
And Trump works for the Koch Brothers and Bannon, nuff said!

Old 08-15-2017, 01:54 PM

1,548 posts, read 912,981 times
He must be desperate for ratings. Remember, "when they go low, we go high." Sure.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:41 PM

26,563 posts, read 14,441,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
Are you serious?? SO let me get this straight. The birther movement was to find out where Obama was really born. So since he was black this movement is racist??
obama made his birth certificate public june 2008. it was confirmed by the HI department of health in october 2008. the birther's set a different standard for obama and demanded to see a "long-form" birth certificate. this standard was not applied to romney, cruz or trump, the only other candidates to release birth certificates. holding a different standard for a black candidate than a white is where the racism lies.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:48 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,638 times
Good question. I was wondering the same thing myself.

President Combover attracts hate groups like flies on sh** and Trump is their Grand Wizard.
The white power movement have become incredibly emboldened, and ever more violent since their fuhrer took office and are his base of support, which is exactly how Hitler came to power.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:25 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
The birther movement definitely had strong racist undertones. Are you serious right now?
The birther movement was started by Hillary Clinton when she was running against Barack Obama in 2008. Do you denounce Hillary Clinton as racist?

Old 08-15-2017, 04:41 PM

2,542 posts, read 2,736,501 times
Sometimes I think that the people who are always labeling others as racist might be the racists themselves. THey seem to pick apart every little word or action and then immediately cry racist. They come up with things that I never would have thought about. I guess Trump is the blame for everything that happened in Charlottesville. It has all turned into politics instead of looking at the people who actually created the violence. Pretty sad.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:48 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
The birther movement was started by Hillary Clinton when she was running against Barack Obama in 2008. Do you denounce Hillary Clinton as racist?
First off - for anyone questioning all of this, you need to understand what the words "racial undertones" mean together. The birther movement may not have been started for obviously racist reasons, racial undertones (race-baited reasons) definitely fueled it and kept it going.

I'm strongly skeptical that Hillary Clinton started the movement, mostly because it has been fact-checked multiple times and was shown to not be true:

But even if her supporters (who weren't associated with the campaign, to my knowledge) did it, I'm not talking about the question. Although, sure, it is possible for these people to have had slight racist motives - I don't see that as being that crazy.

I'm talking about the movement. The movement that persisted for YEARS (not days, weeks, or months; but years) after firm evidence existed of his citizenship and birthplace.

Why did this persist for so long? Be honest. Look at the rhetoric around the movement. Again, be honest.

Why have previous presidents not been put to the same standard? Because their names were "normal" sounding? Because of their skin color? Seriously - what made this thing last so long? Curious minds want to know - what do YOU think was at the center of this? And why did it persist for so long? Hell - why does it still persist? Would love to see your answer, I'm sure it'll be riveting...

And why was our now current President at the center of that nonsense? For, again, YEARS. Good god - he didn't even announce that he was letting it go until 2016. 2016! Obama produced his birth certificate in 2008.

The many years of Trump fueling this nonsense:
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/17/u...a-birther.html
How Donald Trump Perpetuated the 'Birther' Movement for Years - ABC News
14 of Donald Trump's most outrageous 'birther' claims - CNNPolitics
https://www.hillaryclinton.com/feed/...piracy-theory/
Presidential Debate: Donald Trump: I Did a Good Job With Birther Claim | Fortune.com

The racist undertones for this movement are clear as day.

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...irthers-racist
Quote:
Mark Potok of the Southern Poverty Law Center (best known for fighting the Ku Klux Klan and other racist organizations) says that even if birthers are not racists, “they are shameless opportunists perfectly willing to exploit racism for their own personal benefit, proponents of a second Republican ‘Southern strategy.’ ”

“The continuing conspiracy theories about Obama – from his country of birth to his religion to his relationships with the radical left – come from people who are essentially motivated by antipathy toward black people,”
Quote:
Can latent racial prejudice be documented as being at the heart of – or at least an important element in – the birther movement?

As reported in USA Today this week, a study led by Eric Hehman of the University of Delaware in the March Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, suggests so.

As part of the study, 295 students were asked a series of questions used to gauge prejudice. Other questions addressed Obama’s performance as president as well as his “Americanism.” Those with a greater tendency toward racism rated Obama lower.

“Many in the media have speculated that current criticisms of Obama are a result of his race, rather than his agenda,” the study concluded. “We believe that the current results are an empirical demonstration that this is sadly the case.”

As analyzed by psychologist Jack Brigham of Florida State University, an expert in racial attitudes research who was not part of the study, "the results strongly support a role of racism in the birther movement,” he told USA Today.
Colin Powell Is Right: Birtherism Is Racism | Observer
Quote:
Mark Potok of the Southern Poverty Law Center (best known for fighting the Ku Klux Klan and other racist organizations) says that even if birthers are not racists, “they are shameless opportunists perfectly willing to exploit racism for their own personal benefit, proponents of a second Republican ‘Southern strategy.’ ”

“The continuing conspiracy theories about Obama – from his country of birth to his religion to his relationships with the radical left – come from people who are essentially motivated by antipathy toward black people,” Potok writes in his Huffington Post column.

For the record, if President Obama was indeed a Muslim, there would be nothing wrong with that.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...t-race/350097/
Quote:
The birth certificate is out; the skeptics still aren't satisfied; the rest of the world has rolled its eyes at the whole thing. And now the think pieces are starting to appear: What was the birth certificate issue really about? More specifically--was it ever about anything other than race?

"It is inconceivable that this campaign to portray Mr. Obama as the insidious 'other' would have been conducted against a white president," read an editorial in The New York Times yesterday. "We doubt that the questions about Mr. Obama's birthplace would have taken off if his father had been from Canada rather than Kenya," read a similar editorial at The Washington Post. "Obama, as a politician, is clearly not a radical; he is a center-left pragmatist," wrote David Remnick at The New Yorker Web site yesterday. "The one radical thing about Barack Obama is his race, his name."

Old 08-15-2017, 05:53 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Sometimes I think that the people who are always labeling others as racist might be the racists themselves. THey seem to pick apart every little word or action and then immediately cry racist. They come up with things that I never would have thought about. I guess Trump is the blame for everything that happened in Charlottesville. It has all turned into politics instead of looking at the people who actually created the violence. Pretty sad.
I'm not calling you a racist. I'm saying that the birther movement definitely had racist undertones - that is, it was fueled, and (importantly!) kept alive, partially by the fact that Obama was black and had a "non-normal" or "Muslim" name.

It's actually sad that it persisted for as long as it did. The question was answered in 2008. And honestly, it's a shame that it was even a question to begin with: no previous president had ever had to jump through those hoops.

So what is "SAD" here is the fact that this movement existed at all.

To your second part - lots of people are to blame for the mess we're in. Trump and his horrific rhetoric over the last few years, though, aren't doing us any favors. It's no accident that this stuff is all happening now under Trump, and not under some previous president.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:31 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Quote:
Talk about labeling over nothing. Trump didn't say exactly what everyone thought he should say so now he is a racist.
At this point there is nothing Trump can say that is going to make everyone happy. They will find some petty little thing to pick it apart.
Exactly. No matter what President Trump says to liberals, he's wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies