Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2017, 10:29 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am not over it? Explain those who feel that Confederate generals deserve some kind of honor/accolade. Explain the people whom after showing them over and over that the Confederate cause was about slavery, still refuse to admit that the Confederate cause was not honorable. Me recognizing that the Confederate cause is not honorable and Confederates should never be honored is me getting over it. I don't pine for the Confederacy. Those that do are the ones not over it, so don't try to gaslight me and twist this to make me look like the crazy one. Until you can show me where I am wrong, until you can show that I'm a liar, all you are doing is gaslighting.
Four former confederate soldiers (that I know of, there may be more) became general officers of the US Army during the Spanish-American War (1898). Those were Fitzhugh Lee (Robert E. Lee’s nephew), Joseph Wheeler, Matthew Butler, and Thomas Rosser.

More on Joseph "Fighting Joe" Wheeler:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Wheeler

I hope there is a statue somewhere still honoring him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 10:30 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
That flag is not about "RACISM!" or "I HATE BLACK PEOPLE!" or "I WANT SLAVERY!" or "I BELIEVE/D IN SLAVERY!".

Kid Rock uses the friggin flag as a back drop in his shows...and he is a Northerner/Michigander with a BLACK KID.

You have bought into the Fake "news" media manipulation/lies.
Nice, you like to gaslight, and lie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tappan_Thompson

Quote:
As a people, we are fighting to maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause… Such a flag…would soon take rank among the proudest ensigns of the nations, and be hailed by the civilized world as THE WHITE MAN'S FLAG
Quote:
As a national emblem, it is significant of our higher cause, the cause of a superior race, and a higher civilization contending against ignorance, infidelity, and barbarism. Another merit in the new flag is, that it bears no resemblance to the now infamous banner of the Yankee vandals.
These are words from the co-founder of the Savannah Morning News, from over 150 years ago. William Tappan Thompson helped come up with a design for the Confederates. This cannot be disputed. And Thompson was a northerner from Ohio.

I don't care where Kid Rock is from. And if I've bought into "fake news", prove it. I've backed up my point with historical evidence. All you can do is claim that I'm repeating "fake news".

The Confederate cause was about maintain slavery. One major reason for wanting to keep slavery was to keep dominion over Blacks. If that is not racist, I don't know what is. Go read the Articles of Secession. Go read the Cornerstone Speech by Alexander Stephens. Show me where I've lied. If you can't, just admit that you disagree with me but can't refute me.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Four former confederate soldiers became general officers of the US Army during the Spanish-American War (1898). Those were Fitzhugh Lee (Robert E. Lee’s nephew), Joseph Wheeler, Matthew Butler, and Thomas Rosser.

I hope there is a statue somewhere honoring him.
They only served for the U.S. Army again because they weren't tried and punished for treason. Just because you didn't get punished for something does not mean you didn't deserve it. Those generals deserved punishment, but got not. They got off easy. That is why.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:32 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
They only served for the U.S. Army again because they weren't tried and punished for treason. Just because you didn't get punished for something does not mean you didn't deserve it. Those generals deserved punishment, but got not. They got off easy. That is why.
You are just gaslighting at this point. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:37 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Get over it. The war ended over 150 years ago. The Confederates were welcomed back as US citizens. They and their descendents have fought for the US in our many wars since.
Exactly.

So what's with the Confederate flags, the marches, the torches, ... ?

By rights, they should have been tried as traitors, the ring leaders hung, and the rest sent off in shame.

Instead they were treated with mercy and kindness, something they have been reluctant to show others.

In any case, it is over.

Haul down the Confederate flags. Get the memorials off the courthouse lawn. Let's move on.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 08-31-2017 at 10:47 AM..

Old 08-31-2017, 10:45 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Gaslighting? Do you know what the word means?

It means telling subtle lies meant to change reality in order to manipulate people into questioning their own sanity.

Stories and monuments that portray traitors as noble warriors is gaslighting.

Telling the truth is the opposite of gaslighting.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:07 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Exactly.

By rights, they should have been tried as traitors, the ring leaders hung, and the rest sent off in shame.

Instead they were treated with mercy and kindness, something they have been reluctant to show others.

In any case, it is over.

Haul down the Confederate flags. Get the memorials off the courthouse lawn. Let's move on.
Quote:
Gaslighting? Do you know what the word means?

It means telling subtle lies meant to change reality in order to manipulate people into questioning their own sanity.

Telling the truth is the opposite of gaslighting.
Quote:
By rights, they should have been tried as traitors,
So now we are calling into question the reasoning and findings of the U.S. Congressional hearings from the mid 1800's? What is that when that happens?
Quote:
If I thought for one minute it would end there, I'd be the first to stand in line, but it doesn't and it won't.
Quote:
I agree, so tell me, what is really going on here ... ?
Quote:
Stories portraying noble warriors as traitors is what exactly? Remember you're going up against the U.S. Congress of the mid 1800's when you give your answer.
Quote:
Telling the truth
and when there is evidence brought in to substantiate the truth people still reject it. Which tells me and every one else, this is not about monuments and/or flags or moving on ...

I want to know where is the honor in the (mob) actions of those living today ... and ... where do we find, unity, by retro actively calling into question the moral lifestyle of those who fought for this Country 150 years ago?

Old 08-31-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Uh, I'm telling you the truth. The Confederates got off easy. Period.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:

I hope there is a statue somewhere still honoring him.
I know about Joseph Wheeler. I live in the Atlanta area. Marietta,GA has a high school named for him. He too came out of West Point. He too sided with the enemy. In cases like that, treason charges are brought up. He wasn't subjected to that. That is why he lived on to fight in the Spanish-American. Like I said before, he got lucky.

Why do you want to see a Confederate honored? What is the logic in it? If we are truly over the war, why honor Confederates?

Old 08-31-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Exactly.

In any case, it is over.

I have been saying the same thing. If we are truly over the American Civil War, there would be no Confederate flags flying, marches, or torches. There is a reason the KKK still exists. It was formed by a former Confederate general. Nathan Bedford Forrest. A park in Memphis used to be named for him.

I agree with you that the Confederate generals should have been tried as traitors and punished. There should have also been a true neutralizing of hostilities. You check to see if any hostilities still exist. That never happened. Evidence of that is the violence that took place during Reconstruction.

Since the war is over, there should be no statues of Confederates or Confederate flags fly. The South lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies