Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 09:04 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times

Advertisements

If people bothered to watch Trump's full press conference yesterday, he said it's up to towns what they choose to do. He is a states right President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 09:24 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Today there are still a lot of confederate flags around after that.
Well, yes. Private citizens are free to announce their alignment with a dishonorable lost cause for the world to see. The issue at hand is the government placing confederate symbols in a place of honor.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:35 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Confederate monuments taken down in Baltimore overnight - Baltimore Sun

Well, it happened whether people liked it or not. No protestors trying to keep them there either.
I think this was done the right way - removed to a safe place by the local government. Kudos to Baltimore. Governor Hogan also agrees.

This was much more dignified than angry mobs toppling statues, which is wrong and unnecessary.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:38 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The Liberal Democrat Taliban are very active.
"Boo hoo, my hero slave owners aren't being respected!!"

Old 08-16-2017, 09:41 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Trump is succeeding in getting confederate symbols removed where Obama failed. Maybe he is playing chess, after all.
He could've just tried an EO, something he loves. And it wouldn't have required him to capitulate to Nazis. But of course, to think this was really Trump's goal takes some next-level self delusion.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:43 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Battle Flag of Virginia was sown by a person born in Baltimore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetty_Cary

She was a credit to the entire state.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:44 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Who is really making the choice?
Local cities. Is it not their choice to make? Why aren't we supporting local municipality rights?

Old 08-16-2017, 09:45 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Battle Flag of Virginia was sown by a person born in Baltimore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetty_Cary

She was a credit to the entire state.
Fascinating. Who made their white flags?

Old 08-16-2017, 09:46 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
America is becoming like a communist dictatorship or ISIS and the Taliban. They erase history so they can rewrite it. I bet they are also thinking about burning books next. This is sickening. These cities doing this are places I will NEVER spend my money in.
The only ones trying to erase history are on the right.

Civil war traitors belong in museums, not having their treason celebrated in public parks.

Germany isn't erasing their history just because there isn't a Nazi flag flying over the reichstag, either.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:49 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
The libs think they are winning this, a response will come. After the SC statehouse flag issue there were huge confederate flag rallies through the south. It took a few weeks to organize them but it happened. Today there are still a lot of confederate flags around after that. The destruction of these monuments is even more offensive and far more people down here are spittin mad than you libs think there is. You think your going to steamroll us....you won't. You won't take our freedom for your political correctness
What would you say if I told you that these cities wanted to take them down? They are not national monuments, they are local statues on city land.

Do you not support local city rights?

I think confederate statues should be removed from public spaces and placed in museums, but I also think it's city's calls to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies