Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 01:56 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Martin Luther King was against gays so I wonder what progressives say about that?
That such was the way it was back in his day. Societies evolve. If Dr. King had lived into the 1970s, I rather bet his views would have evolved. However, it must be recognized, that during the 1950s and 60s Dr. King and black Americans had their own Civil Rights concerns.

I would be hard-pressed to think of an adult I knew back in the 1960s that gave any thought to gays, or their status in the American community. Of course, by 1970 it started to change. By 1976, when I was starting college, I had a dorm roommate that was gay, although he did not admit it until 1978 (disco, baby!), to no one's surprise, including mine. I had, by my early 20s, simply started to think about the gay issue, and decided that such should not be criminalized, although I did not start considering the 'marriage' issue until the 1980s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 02:27 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
There is a difference between being a slave owner in historic times and glorifying someone who's claim to fame is fighting a bloody war to to retain the right to own slaves,
Muslims have fought bloody wars to "retain the right to own slaves" (especially sex slaves) since Muhammad did so, and are DOING SO TODAY.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:34 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
That such was the way it was back in his day. Societies evolve. If Dr. King had lived into the 1970s, I rather bet his views would have evolved. However, it must be recognized, that during the 1950s and 60s Dr. King and black Americans had their own Civil Rights concerns.

I would be hard-pressed to think of an adult I knew back in the 1960s that gave any thought to gays, or their status in the American community. Of course, by 1970 it started to change. By 1976, when I was starting college, I had a dorm roommate that was gay, although he did not admit it until 1978 (disco, baby!), to no one's surprise, including mine. I had, by my early 20s, simply started to think about the gay issue, and decided that such should not be criminalized, although I did not start considering the 'marriage' issue until the 1980s.
Well said. People evolve. I was a child back in the 60s. Even in the 70s, not much was thought of about being gay and gay marriage was a real out-there concept if it was even thought of at all. Certainly at that point in my life (70s) I would have told you it was wrong. That was due to my upbringing and religious dogma that was put on me. As I became an adult and could rationalize these things out for myself, when I thought about it, it made sense to me that it was NOT wrong. I changed.

Who knows what MLK would have evolved to had he lived through the civil rights of homosexuals. But I certainly don't think that we can condemn him for what was normal thought in his time.

As to slaves, it was normal to have slaves at some point. However, people in the U.S. evolved and began to see that it was wrong. Well, some people evolved and some did not. As I said on another thread, when you decided to take a stand and die for the right to keep slaves, then this becomes your defining moment.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:39 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
How will the Alt Left Progressives handle this fact?
We'd be better off, if all places where idolatry is practiced were closed. In other words, all establishments of organized religion, that intercept and alter faith from its one true source and spew out self-serving lies in its place.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:25 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times
By reminding Americans of this, the OP is attempting to create fear and help campaign for the Alt-right to defend "American" values.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:28 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Quote:
Simple by saying the Alt-Left is desperate to change the subject. They are cowards and liars as their leader in the WH is.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:04 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesweh View Post
What does Muhammad have to do with Mosque?

Islam worship God. Not Muhammad

Do Christians worship Philip? lol

George Washington owned slaves. Should we bombed Washington DC?

Conservative Logic...

---------

The Confederate lost. Get over it!
Hillary lost-get over it!

Old 08-16-2017, 05:08 PM

122 posts, read 65,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
There is a difference between being a slave owner in historic times and glorifying someone who's claim to fame is fighting a bloody war to to retain the right to own slaves,
It was more than about slavery it was sovereignty andit was the north that fired first.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:09 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Aww, sweet. You still think this about statues and symbols.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 1,532 times
Quote:
Oh you are confused. This is not about histoy or right and wrong. This is revenge. The alt-right isn't helping themselves or anyone.

One day it may be that adultery becomes a real big issue. Folks may really get upset over it. And in that day, all the MLK street names will come tumbling down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies