Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 01:11 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times

Advertisements

Another famous Michelle moment I had forgotten about. Just when I started to think she was a classy, intelligent woman she would blow my delusions up like clockwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 01:13 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Another famous Michelle moment I had forgotten about. Just when I started to think she was a classy, intelligent woman she would blow my delusions up like clockwork.
She challenged your perspective. How dare she. Doesn't she know her place?

Old 08-16-2017, 01:17 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee777 View Post
You lost the Civil War. We won! Get over it!
"You lost the Civil War. We won! Get over it!". As a guy who sees America as one nation, I find the remark kind of confusing.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:20 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
If anything offends anyone- get rid of it!!!

Old 08-16-2017, 01:23 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,267,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I really don't understand the hatred for Michelle Obama. There are a significant number of conservatives that have a seething hatred for her. The most controversy she sparked was her choice of sneakers while helping the poor. I know she said things that conservatives may not agree with, but that is no different than Nancy Reagan or Barbara Bush making comments that liberals don't agree with. Yet, I've never met a democrat or liberal that actually hated Nancy or Barbara.

The hatred must really come down to the fact that she was a black woman, was proud of that fact and not afraid to say it.
Michelle was truly a class act all the way. The things Con's said about her were truly disgusting, but what do expect, they voted for the pu$$y grabber, the most disgusting of them all.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:23 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
We are now in the mindset that all the Monuments and Statues that were Confederate are to be taken down.. it is a reminder of slavery or is it more sinister?

Michelle Obama told the world the White House was built by slaves. Should we now take down the White House because of its history of being built by slaves? Michelle Obama said it was a reminder to her that slavery was used to build the house that is our Presidents home while in office. She was offended every day to wake up in a house built by slaves. Will it go this far? The list is endless.

Will the left start to chant take it down as they march to remove the White House.. They leftist radicals must have a nice list of places to protest our history .

The left and the powers that be, do want to remove all of our past to usher in a new totalitarian one sided government and media. It is happening whether you see it or don't want to see it.. it is happening.

They will of course want to besmirch our past leaders who were also slave owners. They will next go after our Constitution. It is in the works now. It will be a slow osmosis that the left will brainwash those liberals who go along step by step with the idea that we are a bad nation.
Let me help, just as I have in a number similar threads... the monuments, statues and flags honoring Confederate politicians and military leaders are slowly being removed from places of high honor. It is not an attempt to forget the legacy of slavery. It is an attempt to show fellow citizens, and really the global population, that Americans believe that America's participation in slavery is not something that we look back on with pride.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:19 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
Your first sentence effectively has no legal standing, unless states allow it, and courts uphold or rule otherwise. In other words, the constituents at the city level, in our system do not automatically have standing, nor a superior position. Cities are not autonomous is the point. Nor are states, nor the federal government.

As to the appeals court decision, of course, that is our system at work. I'm not saying cities cannot remove these statues, but I did say there are many variables which neither of us is qualified to discuss, beyond this exchange. Unless you specialize in governmental law. I do not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
The constituents elect city representatives. They carry out the will of the people.

We'll see how this legally plays out, but I personally don't understand how local cities aren't allowed to control what happens in their municipalities on their land - Seems a bit ridiculous.

New Orleans Can Remove Confederate Statues, Federal Appeals Court Says : The Two-Way : NPR

In some states, it's illegal to take down monuments or change street names honoring the Confederacy - LA Times

Even still - if this came from the state level, I'd support it. I hope it does.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:33 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
The actual quote. "I wake up every morning in a house (the White House) that was built by slaves." Of course due to fire of the War of 1812 and Harry Truman having it gutted and rebuilt from 1948-1952, there wasn't much left of the slaves work. We all get the symbolism involved. Even the symbolism varies, depending on who you are, how you voted, what you though of the Obamas, including President Obama being a first.

IOW, the allegation that she was offended to wake up in a house built by slaves is to put it kindly, pure fantasy. Of course I doubt we'll hear any explanation from the maker of that allegation.

Comments OP?

Old 08-16-2017, 02:35 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Actually, I believe the new White House (rebuilt after being burned in 1813 or whatever) was built, at least partly by slave labor.

However, no reasonable person would suggest that the White House be torn down and built again (this time by Mexican laborers, no doubt). I recognize that those trying to defend the Nazi's and others are making this 'slippery slope' argument, since Mr. Trump suggested it, but no one will recognize the validity of it.

I will note that over the years the White House has required so much reconstruction/replacement of rotted wood and such, that little remains of the 1815 version.
Agreed. These crazy notions about ripping down stuff like the White House and the various memorials to dead presidents in DC are hilarious.

I guarantee you that nobody all riled over these Confederate statues actually visits them or gives much of a damn about them until they're threatened with removal.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:38 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,769 times
LMAO...the temper tantrum over this stuff is epic. What's next?..."Slaves were brought to this land on boats...should we destroy all boats?". Or I'm guessing..."Slaves picked cotton...should we go burn down Fruit of the Loom and Hanes?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies