Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 02:42 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

Got to love the folks who have been carrying on about not having to be politically correct any longer now have their panties in a bunch over relocating statues because of political correctness.

You cannot make this nonsense up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 04:28 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Per Google dictionary:

the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.
Well, I haven't seen much of that. Political correctness is usually invoked by people who want to openly rail against and insult the above groups of people, but don't want to suffer the public consequences of their words.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:31 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Absolutely.

We have become a nation of whiners as well.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:32 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Statues are a passive reminder of that history
i think many of them glorify the confederacy

the confederacy's reason for existence was to maintain slavery, and it doesn't deserve to be respected or glorified.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:39 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
IMO the recent tear downs of confederate statues has an undertone of political correctness for which the definition continues to morph.

History is the past. Despite what the civil war and what each side stood for, it was in integral part of the history of this country. Statues are a passive reminder of that history, passive being key unlike active groups who want to continue such ideals.

Where should the line be drawn? I saw other posts about Lincoln etc being pro-slavery and as such should their monuments still stand (I think they should)?

I hate political correctness. I think Trump was playing that card in his recent speeches post Charlottesville. I think we go too far. Thoughts?
I think municipalities have every right to determine which statues should be on their land.

But I hardly think this is the same thing as destroying history. I would oppose efforts to remove statues from historic battlefields, whether the statues are of the winners or losers. I'd oppose demolition of confederate museums. And of course private interests have every right to erect confederate memorials.

It's a question of whether taxpayer money should be used to glorify the losing side of a painful civil war, when many of those taxpayers are the descendants of those who were held in bondage, and don't necessarily idolize the folks who put and kept them there.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:45 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Quote:
IMO the recent tear downs of confederate statues has an undertone of political correctness for which the definition continues to morph.

History is the past. Despite what the civil war and what each side stood for, it was in integral part of the history of this country. Statues are a passive reminder of that history, passive being key unlike active groups who want to continue such ideals.

Where should the line be drawn? I saw other posts about Lincoln etc being pro-slavery and as such should their monuments still stand (I think they should)?

I hate political correctness. I think Trump was playing that card in his recent speeches post Charlottesville. I think we go too far. Thoughts?
It's beyond way out of hand. The left thinks they have to control everything, and that includes denying our history lessons. So what if left-wingers get offended by events that happened years ago that we cannot change?? Is it worth dumbing down our country just because a group of people are trying to hide real historical images and facts?? I resent the left trying tooth and nail to change American history just because someone gets "offended".

So, we don't have a perfect history. So what? We still have a magnificent country to live in. We really need to put an end to political correctness. Why? Because PC is just plain silliness.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:48 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
I can't stand PC. In some situations it may be appropriate but to force it on others it is ridiculous. People have become sensitive over the smallest of things.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:50 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Run amuck....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jTU1GnOK2YM

Old 08-16-2017, 04:52 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
you have no issue with ANTIFA and they are literal Nazis. no matter what they say of themselves.
And you need to look up the word 'literal'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
It's beyond way out of hand. The left thinks they have to control everything, and that includes denying our history lessons. So what if left-wingers get offended by events that happened years ago that we cannot change?? Is it worth dumbing down our country just because a group of people are trying to hide real historical images and facts?? I resent the left trying tooth and nail to change American history just because someone gets "offended".

So, we don't have a perfect history. So what? We still have a magnificent country to live in. We really need to put an end to political correctness. Why? Because PC is just plain silliness.
No one on the 'left' is controlling everything.

Tell me, who on the 'left' forced Nikki Haley to take down their statue? It should be up to states, cities, communities, etc. and everyone else should BUTT OUT.

The statue in Virginia had been voted on and the vote was to take it down.

The Nazi wannabe's should have kept their sorry butts at home.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:52 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i think many of them glorify the confederacy

the confederacy's reason for existence was to maintain slavery, and it doesn't deserve to be respected or glorified.
I can't deny the truth to your statement. But history also doesn't change. The Civil War, slavery - all on our soil. It's a fabric of the USA's history. I suppose some look at statues and museums etc as glorification. I just simply see them from a historical perspective, good and bad. I see it as a reminder as to how far we've come, yet these hate groups probably see these statues as a deity to their cause. It's sad really that humans as a whole can't learn and grow and instead hold onto old ideals that are just not humanly nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies