Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 12:20 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Go ahead and make you ruling. I would like to hear your nasty ideas.
It's the same as the ones the founders of the country came up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 12:22 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
So you think putting a Confederate Flag up in response to a black family moving onto your street is protected speech?

See, I don't see it that way. I see it as trying to incite something...violence.

If you always had it up, that's a different story. But I've read experiences of people on this forum and public figures like Dr Ben Carson who experienced this.
The Supreme Court holds the first amendment in much higher regard than you do.

It is not illegal to be an a$$H0le.

The Supreme Court ruled that you can burn a cross on your own property, I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with a flag.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:29 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
If he is renting, his landlord can make him take them down. Free speech doesn't extend to private property owned by someone else.
As a landlord myself, that is entirely false.

If he's not making any alterations to the property, the landlord can't force him to take it down, unless it's written specifically in the lease agreement, or if the property management gives the renter a warning. Other than that, no.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:31 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
So you think putting a Confederate Flag up in response to a black family moving onto your street is protected speech?

See, I don't see it that way. I see it as trying to incite something...violence.

If you always had it up, that's a different story. But I've read experiences of people on this forum and public figures like Dr Ben Carson who experienced this.
Dr. Carson believes in protecting the right to do it. He doesn't need to be used as an example to put forth an anti-freedom agenda.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:32 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
I can't believe that someone hasn't broken the window and taken the flag down themselves. Or people haven't grabbed him off the street and beat his ass to a pulp daily until the flag disappears. You have to be insane to do something you know will intentionally provoke people. Especially in an urban area with a large diverse population, this guy could disappear one day without a trace and nobody outside his family would even notice or say something if they did.
Ok, this is just entirely stupid.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:33 PM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
If he is renting, his landlord can make him take them down. Free speech doesn't extend to private property owned by someone else.
Depends on the state laws on right of possession vs right of ownership.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:34 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
As a landlord myself, that is entirely false.
It's not entirely false. If it would be in his lease the landlord could enforce it. Granted, it likely isn't. HOA's have enforced laws on people flying flags on their own property.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:35 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,646 times
In NYC I'm sure they could most definitely "persuade" him to remove it.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:35 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Also, in the East Village? Did even one person in the East Village vote for Trump?

I'm not sure if you could find a more anti-Trump neighborhood anywhere in the U.S. He might as well put up a Nazi flag in Jerusalem.
Yep yep and yep. He will lose this one .... One way or another.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:36 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I rent in a suburban apartment complex in TN and my lease does not allow you to put certain things on your balcony. You can't even park a truck/van in front of your apartment if it has any lettering on it. Exception: Law Enforcement vehicles like police cars.
Can't have a work truck? A business vehicle with logos like a real estate agent? Odd. The plumber can't park in front of the apartments??...

People are losing their minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies