Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:37 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Folks in Charlottesville showed up to a Nazi parade that was widely advertised as such, theoretically because they agreed with the cause. Antifa showed up to a peaceful protest by regular people. And yes, antifa agrees with all those people that Nazis are bad. Big difference.
Actually, I strongly doubt that most of the white nationalists who came to the Charlottesville rally were actually local folks. Some probably were, but that event drew a lot of out-of-towners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 08:50 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,277,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Actually, I strongly doubt that most of the white nationalists who came to the Charlottesville rally were actually local folks. Some probably were, but that event drew a lot of out-of-towners.
That's my point. The out of towner Nazis arranged a protest (which they are free to do). I suggested that locals, who went to the Nazi protest were free to have stayed home and not been tarred by that association. But because they did show at a Nazi protest they were tarred. And that the difference was antifa showed up at a protest arranged by peaceful lefties (which they are free to do), so the lefties were not tarnished by the antifas participation. There is no they could keep antifa away from their protest. Local Charlottesvillians could have stayed home. Those that chose not to, went to a Nazi protest and that's bad, at least in my opinion.

Last edited by TKO; 08-24-2017 at 08:59 AM..

Old 08-24-2017, 09:47 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
That's my point. The out of towner Nazis arranged a protest (which they are free to do). I suggested that locals, who went to the Nazi protest were free to have stayed home and not been tarred by that association. But because they did show at a Nazi protest they were tarred. And that the difference was antifa showed up at a protest arranged by peaceful lefties (which they are free to do), so the lefties were not tarnished by the antifas participation. There is no they could keep antifa away from their protest. Local Charlottesvillians could have stayed home. Those that chose not to, went to a Nazi protest and that's bad, at least in my opinion.

Yes. Locals who showed up on the side of keeping the statues in place are now smeared with a Nazi label. Because of who arranged the protest, not because of the issue it was supposed to be about. Undeniable fact. Whether or not the counter protest was arranged by "peaceful lefties" or not is however an issue the facts are in evidence for, well....juries out. Black clad hooded and masked rodents carrying bats, OC spray and tossing rocks rather tars the image of the counter being set up by anyone with peaceful motives.

It was , in a classic sense, a "rumble", in vernacular I remember from my youth. That was the intent, imho, of both sides going in. There's just no excuse for the police to have allowed these factions to get face to face. The result of that is now obvious. Poor decision on the part of the city authorities. And there is some debatable matters in the reaction to this that have come under scrutiny, but have been rather swept back from the spotlight.

I don't believe there were any significant number of locals involved in this at all. Most locals who have such an event thrust into their community don't want anything to do with either side. That's how I would see things. I'd be quite happy if these creeps would just mind their own business about where I choose to live and keep their big, fat noses out.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:13 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,277,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yes. Locals who showed up on the side of keeping the statues in place are now smeared with a Nazi label. Because of who arranged the protest, not because of the issue it was supposed to be about. Undeniable fact. Whether or not the counter protest was arranged by "peaceful lefties" or not is however an issue the facts are in evidence for, well....juries out. Black clad hooded and masked rodents carrying bats, OC spray and tossing rocks rather tars the image of the counter being set up by anyone with peaceful motives.

It was , in a classic sense, a "rumble", in vernacular I remember from my youth. That was the intent, imho, of both sides going in. There's just no excuse for the police to have allowed these factions to get face to face. The result of that is now obvious. Poor decision on the part of the city authorities. And there is some debatable matters in the reaction to this that have come under scrutiny, but have been rather swept back from the spotlight.

I don't believe there were any significant number of locals involved in this at all. Most locals who have such an event thrust into their community don't want anything to do with either side. That's how I would see things. I'd be quite happy if these creeps would just mind their own business about where I choose to live and keep their big, fat noses out.
Truth be told, most of us know that neither side is predominately comprised of wing nuts and we're both far closer to the middle, and each other, than our representatives and media would like us to believe (and quite successfully so). It's in both their interests to have us believe otherwise and to maximize the extent to which we do disagree when we do.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:11 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Truth be told, most of us know that neither side is predominately comprised of wing nuts and we're both far closer to the middle, and each other, than our representatives and media would like us to believe (and quite successfully so). It's in both their interests to have us believe otherwise and to maximize the extent to which we do disagree when we do.

In truth, yes, the actual main core here is far closer to the middle and that's a LOT of people. But, it's the image created by the rabid rodents that everybody sees presented at these "protests". That's where the fisheye gets focused. And when these events come to a community, as I stated, most folks are like me would prefer outsiders, particularly bussed in imports, would pull in their horns and respect our space.

The order and peace of any community is top on the list, and when you get radical factions, no matter their true numbers, facing off nose to nose that peace and order is threatened at the least and shattered at the worst. Neither is acceptable. not to me. I live here. so do a bunch of other folks. Those who come here to speak their minds on any issue just better bear that in mind. Regardless of which side I might land on if I choose to participate in such an event, if someone on my side gets out of line he/she is likely to be dealing with me. And others as well. If somebody is walking around with a bat, pulls out a can of OC, and particularly if they have a firearm and I see a lock and load at the very least I will be yelling for LE to get busy.

One sure thing that will draw a serious disagreement is someone looking to cause death or major harm to another person(s). And I care a fart in a high wind whether their standing on my side of a line or on the other. If this is in the space I reside in such thinking will not be tolerated. Unfortunately trouble and strife is what a fair number of these outsiders are wanting coming in. And that's what gets attention and coverage. If one person does something stupid the whole thing gets smeared because of it. Including the community as a whole if response is not immediate and severe. Action that states in no uncertain terms "Not in OUR house!!!"

Old 08-24-2017, 12:40 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Okay, I see. Thanks for clarifying. I agree, it's pretty foolish to show up at a Nazi rally unless you're okay with getting branded a Nazi. It would have been harder for out-of-town counter-protesters to leave once Antifa showed up, but it still might have been a good idea, if possible, to avoid the impression of supporting the violence, even if it was just to move a few blocks down the street. Perceptions matter, and there are all too many out there who are very eager to paint peaceful protesters with the Antifa brush.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:07 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Except for communities that are effectively already in ruins, think the inner-city ghettos, few people want to see their neighborhoods destroyed by rioting.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:27 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
sounds real enough- lots of shrill babbling and hatred for white males

https://harrisburg100.blog/2017/08/1...fa-manual/This
You seem to think this is some big secret.

It's not. At all. Any short search will turn up several resistance manuals. They aren't secret at all; in fact, the purpose of making them easily available is meant to increase the resistance to the far right.

When it comes to shrill babbling, plenty of it has been done by the 3%ers, militias, Oath Keepers and other white male groups for a long time now. Without their aggressiveness, Antifa would never have come to exist.

But when anyone who wants to participate in a demonstration and use their rights of free speech, knowing some self defense is natural when violence is a possibility.

All those phony soldiers have been mighty free to show their willingness for starting violence for years now. They should have realized some kind of response would come about long ago. The days of passive non-violence ended in the 1970s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies