Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 09:20 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I love the banner idea. Good on her.
Me, too. That made me laugh out loud. Well done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 09:27 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I feel the terrorism UP TAKE came to the world after everyone invaded Iraq and destroyed that country. And millions of people died. WMD, sure.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:46 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
The statues and monuments are a nod to Jim Crow. Pure and simple. They stand to say the boss around here is Jim Crow.

Don't give me the nonsense about "is part of our history". We fought in WW II. Do we have any statues of Hitler since some people have a penchant for losers?

Americans like winners. Why are we memorializing losers? Why can't we put up a statue of Gen William Tecumseh Sherman? He's a WINNER.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:48 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Why is there a Jefferson Davis monument and Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway in Arizona?

1) Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway monument tarred and feathered - Story | KSAZ

Streetview
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3357...7i13312!8i6656

2) 2 Confederate monuments vandalized in Arizona
The Confederate soldier monument at the state Capitol was fancied by Rebecca McHood as a "participation trophy" on Tuesday evening. Enraged by President Donald Trump's claim that "bad people" on both sides were to blame for the violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, the 37-year-old headed straight for the Confederate memorial at the state Capitol.

Across the bottom, she strung a second-place participation banner. Across the top, she hung a ribbon that said, "You lost, get over it."
Awesome!

If she runs for office, I'll vote for her.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:54 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I feel the terrorism UP TAKE came to the world after everyone invaded Iraq and destroyed that country. And millions of people died. WMD, sure.
The US going after Bin Laden when the Afghanistan/ Russia war ended, Bin Laden not being allowed to defend Saudi Arabia when Hussein invaded Kuwait, led to WTC, USS Cole, and 9/11.

Since then it's been pretty ugly.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:56 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
The statues and monuments are a nod to Jim Crow. Pure and simple. They stand to say the boss around here is Jim Crow.

Don't give me the nonsense about "is part of our history". We fought in WW II. Do we have any statues of Hitler since some people have a penchant for losers?

Americans like winners. Why are we memorializing losers? Why can't we put up a statue of Gen William Tecumseh Sherman? He's a WINNER.
Hitler was not from America. There is no comparison. Not only were the Confederate soldiers from America, they are considered American soldiers. For the Jim Crow era statues, I could care less. If you or anyone else is triggered by a hunk of metal, take it down. For the ones that were put up as historical markers prior to the Jim Crow era, those should stay. We should always have visual reminders of the worst period in our history.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:32 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I'm still trying to figure out just how this memorial could be such a historical monuments.. Arizona didn't even join the Union until 1912? Of course it's likely it got constructed during the Jim Crow era.. which was during the rise of KKK and persecution of Blacks... Why don't modern people realize all these statues and memorials were built to basically celebrate those that HATED the fact that Slaves got freed?? Their hatred of Blacks was constant for over half century post CIVIL WAR!!
It's about time a lot of these Jim Crow relics get removed and put in a museum that allowed future generations to see and understand the evolution of their country's history!

There's zero necessity to have eyesores forced into the faces of those who's family's endured such indignities during those times. Not that it's finished as it's clear.. there is STILL an underbelly of Black Hatred still surviving and raised to HATE as their mentors raised them to be!! Trump is doing nothing but enflame these people!!
Arizona was the only western territory to join the confederacy. It was also the scene of the farthest civil war battle fought on the western frontier.
The battle was won by the Federals, who then seized the territory's capital and took Arizona out of the war.

Arizona joined because it was the only far west territory to allow slavery. Slaveholders were some of the first to migrate to the territory to find fresh soil for cotton growing as the soil in most of the deep south had become depleted from over planting cotton on it.

The settlers needed their slaves to pick the cotton, and the cotton was a major revenue source for the south. So Arizona naturally aligned itself with the other cotton states.

But the union intervention came from the newly found gold and silver strikes that came afterward, not the cotton. Both sides needed all the gold and silver they could get to finance the war, and that's what led to the decisive battle early in the war.

A few years later, Abraham Lincoln created the Idaho territory as part of the union as soon as gold and silver were discovered there. Lincoln's immediate creation of a territory and it's acceptance into the union headed off another possible Arizona from occurring. The Idaho strikes proved to the the richest of all in the west, and did finance most of the Union war effort.

Cotton is still being grown in Arizona today. But the gold and sliver have mostly played out in both states.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:49 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
And I'm sure back then there wasn't a rash of idiots tearing/vandalizing historical statues all over the country.
Certain kinds of people knew their place in 1943, sure.

I do like the participation trophy idea, though.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:14 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
Quote:
Why is there a Jefferson Davis monument and Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway in Arizona?

perhaps they value history and attempt to learn from it, even history that we all aren't proud of.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:04 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
Quote:

1) Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway monument tarred and feathered - Story | KSAZ

Streetview
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3357...7i13312!8i6656

2) 2 Confederate monuments vandalized in Arizona
The Confederate soldier monument at the state Capitol was fancied by Rebecca McHood as a "participation trophy" on Tuesday evening. Enraged by President Donald Trump's claim that "bad people" on both sides were to blame for the violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, the 37-year-old headed straight for the Confederate memorial at the state Capitol.

Across the bottom, she strung a second-place participation banner. Across the top, she hung a ribbon that said, "You lost, get over it."
I love the participation trophy idea which easily translates back to the losers of the last election deserve a participation trophy for losing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies