Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Arizona was the only western territory to join the confederacy. It was also the scene of the farthest civil war battle fought on the western frontier.
The battle was won by the Federals, who then seized the territory's capital and took Arizona out of the war.

Arizona joined because it was the only far west territory to allow slavery. Slaveholders were some of the first to migrate to the territory to find fresh soil for cotton growing as the soil in most of the deep south had become depleted from over planting cotton on it.

The settlers needed their slaves to pick the cotton, and the cotton was a major revenue source for the south. So Arizona naturally aligned itself with the other cotton states.

But the union intervention came from the newly found gold and silver strikes that came afterward, not the cotton. Both sides needed all the gold and silver they could get to finance the war, and that's what led to the decisive battle early in the war.

A few years later, Abraham Lincoln created the Idaho territory as part of the union as soon as gold and silver were discovered there. Lincoln's immediate creation of a territory and it's acceptance into the union headed off another possible Arizona from occurring. The Idaho strikes proved to the the richest of all in the west, and did finance most of the Union war effort.

Cotton is still being grown in Arizona today. But the gold and sliver have mostly played out in both states.
Given the history we need to cease cotton production in AZ as it stands as a constant reminder of the slave holding past.
STOP COTTON NOW.....STOP COTTON NOW! C'mon, chant along with me..... STOP COT...... oh forget it, it doesn't rhyme...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 11:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Why is there a Jefferson Davis monument and Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway in Arizona?

1) Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway monument tarred and feathered - Story | KSAZ

Streetview
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3357...7i13312!8i6656

2) 2 Confederate monuments vandalized in Arizona
The Confederate soldier monument at the state Capitol was fancied by Rebecca McHood as a "participation trophy" on Tuesday evening. Enraged by President Donald Trump's claim that "bad people" on both sides were to blame for the violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, the 37-year-old headed straight for the Confederate memorial at the state Capitol.

Across the bottom, she strung a second-place participation banner. Across the top, she hung a ribbon that said, "You lost, get over it."
and why do you ask? They have one because at some point they wanted to honor him. I have no idea the purpose of your post and I am not sure many others do. Why is there a school in the Dallas area named Cristy McAuliffe? we could ask a stupid question on why a million times and probably never get an honest answer because there is none

daldallas

Old 08-20-2017, 11:51 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
The second place one is funny and creative without being destructive

Old 08-20-2017, 02:15 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,734,602 times
Please boycott and do NOT use U.S. $1.00, $20.00, $50.00 and $100.00 bills as they depict slave owners on them. Please send them to me and I will dispose of them properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies