Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 06:17 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,709,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Here's a liberal wish list. Better visit Mount Rushmore soon. Or the Jefferson Memorial in DC.

Here's A List Of All The Monuments Liberals Want To Tear Down So Far
Oh, darn. We should have put Obama up there and then liberals would leave Mt. Rushmore alone.

They are *selective* in what they want to remove.

I'd better make the rounds of all the still-standing monuments so that I can tell my grandkids I saw them "in the good old days", when history was respected as the learning tool it is, and truth wasn't denied even if it wasn't a good period in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 06:18 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,050,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Well they better keep their mouths shut then or they'll end up lumped in with the rest of the deplorables.
Deplorables aren't the ones who would have a sincerely, non-violent protest about a statue.

Deplorables are the hate groups that used the statue removal as a reason to garner some publicity and try to increase their presence on a national basis. Deplorable is using a car to kill people. Deplorable is criticizing Trump for having a Jew in his office and for letting his lovely daughter matter one.

Deplorables are the Anti-FA, fringe protesters that show up to fight for a cause literally for the fight and not the cause.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:26 AM

9,317 posts, read 14,925,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Did you post that without laughing at your statement?
You don't get the point obviously. You must believe that education is not about facts, but solely about politics?

Old 08-18-2017, 08:30 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,092,714 times
I admit I have had mixed feelings about Confederate monuments. After all I reasoned many young Southerners with no slaves rose up to defend farms and families. It was a part of history and brave men all. The initial catalyst wasn't really the point, so I told myself. A tragic war that may have started politically but became a defense of the Homeland. So I thought.

But a closer look at the time period when these monuments were erected and their intent has changed my thinking. They were put up in the 20th century I understand about the same time time Jim Crow reared its ugly head. A third finger to the union? Not memorials but representing the power and institutionalizing of white supremacy?

So put them in museums.

Last edited by Tama; 08-18-2017 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 08-18-2017, 08:35 AM

7,488 posts, read 6,271,220 times
Quote:
Here's a liberal wish list. Better visit Mount Rushmore soon. Or the Jefferson Memorial in DC.

I've seen all on the list that I wanted to see, so go ahead and tear them down. Then every thing will be OK.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:46 AM

9,317 posts, read 14,925,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
I admit I have had mixed feelings about Confederate monuments. After all I reasoned many young Southerners with no slaves rose up to defend farms and families. It was a part of history and brave men all. The initial catalyst wasn't really the point, so I told myself. A tragic war that may have started politically but became a defense of the Homeland. So I thought.

But a closer look at the time period when these monuments were erected and their intent has changed my thinking. They were put up in the 20th century I understand about the same time time Jim Crow reared its ugly head. A third finger to the union? Not memorials but representing the power and institutionalizing of white supremacy?

So put them in museums.
Yes, or add plaques of historical explanation to them. A monument or memorial is not necessarily a pro position- it is a historical remembrance.

Boston has a monument commemorating Confederate dead who died in a prison there. I wouldn't say it was pro Confederate dead.

I would argue that we need to add a large statue of Hitler somewhere with a giant plaque about what he stood for, what he did, and why he should never be forgotten. Trump should dedicate it.

Simply pulling down statues or memorials is what they do in third world countries and in Russia- the idea behind it is to change people's political thinking without encouraging them to form their own educated opinions about history. It could well be a slippery slope if we allow these things to happen on the force of political winds.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:55 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,391,106 times
Quote:

Awesome resource. Hope they keep updating it.

Sort of a running list to be used at Leftist's sanity hearing.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:26 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,092,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Yes, or add plaques of historical explanation to them. A monument or memorial is not necessarily a pro position- it is a historical remembrance.

Boston has a monument commemorating Confederate dead who died in a prison there. I wouldn't say it was pro Confederate dead.

I would argue that we need to add a large statue of Hitler somewhere with a giant plaque about what he stood for, what he did, and why he should never be forgotten. Trump should dedicate it.

Simply pulling down statues or memorials is what they do in third world countries and in Russia- the idea behind it is to change people's political thinking without encouraging them to form their own educated opinions about history. It could well be a slippery slope if we allow these things to happen on the force of political winds.
I don't see it that way. A statue or other memorial is a tribute. It is pro. In a museum a statue representing a negative value would be identified as such and used to show how that negative value was put forth by some and revered but then taken down. Statues and memorials are paying homage. If these Confederate statues are representing the social system of the pre-war South which is what scholarly writings are saying they are, then they really do need to go. Many were apparently ordered en masse from foundries by private parties to express their support of the old order.

I think some memorials were for reconciliation and such may be exempt. The Boston memorial you mentioned? Or the Soldiers and Sailors Monument in Allentown, Pa?

Last edited by Tama; 08-18-2017 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 08-18-2017, 02:28 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,868,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post

So put them in museums.
That's exactly what happened.

Many young Southerners refused to fight for slavery. Some even joined the union army. Even some of Lee's relatives.

Southerners had a choice and many chose treason.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:31 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,100,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You don't get the point obviously. You must believe that education is not about facts, but solely about politics?
I don't even think he's making it about politics.

Politics is mostly about the transfer of ideas in a public space, for public purposes. While a certain level of subjectivity exists in ideas, things that are certifiably false really don't count. Asserting the Earth is flat would be a good example. So too would saying "liberals" want all these monuments taken down. Neither is true in the slightest. Therefore, I don't know if I would consider it sufficiently political. It's just pissy.

I'll throw my voice in; I'm a liberal and I don't think these need to be taken down. What I believe is that some monuments could potentially have being taken down as being a reasonable solution, though that's a decision entirely for the constituents. If I didn't raise a statue, I don't want any say on rather it stays or goes, nor do I believe I or anyone outside their community should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies