Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 08:18 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times

Advertisements

Great article here:
http://www.themanufacturinginstitute...3B1DA7B14.ashx

Written by the Manufacturing Institute, a pro-business, pro-manufacturing, pro-jobs organization.

Sorry, but telling coal workers that they will keep their jobs is just flat-out irresponsible. IF we want coal-workers, or any manufacturing workers to keep their job, we'll need to train them to be competitive, and to leverage current technology.

The article specifies that traditional 4-year degrees is not what is needed, but it carefully documents the labor shortage (yes, SHORTAGE) and what types of continuing education are needed to address it.

The jobs are there, they are high-paying, and America can compete. But we need our leaders to stop promising that they can bring back 1970's jobs and remain competitive. People need to adapt, and the jobs are there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 08:21 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
Exactly, you can't keep doing the **** you were doing 3 decades ago and expect it to fly now. My own dad was a steel mill worker and while the places are still active a lot of that stuff is automated now. Have these dudes take classes on technology so they can keep said jobs.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:32 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Great article here:
http://www.themanufacturinginstitute...3B1DA7B14.ashx

Written by the Manufacturing Institute, a pro-business, pro-manufacturing, pro-jobs organization.

Sorry, but telling coal workers that they will keep their jobs is just flat-out irresponsible. IF we want coal-workers, or any manufacturing workers to keep their job, we'll need to train them to be competitive, and to leverage current technology.

The article specifies that traditional 4-year degrees is not what is needed, but it carefully documents the labor shortage (yes, SHORTAGE) and what types of continuing education are needed to address it.

The jobs are there, they are high-paying, and America can compete. But we need our leaders to stop promising that they can bring back 1970's jobs and remain competitive. People need to adapt, and the jobs are there.
The only shortage is from lazy sissies who don't want to do anything that requires labor.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:54 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The only shortage is from lazy sissies who don't want to do anything that requires labor.
Just a flat-out incorrect statement.

You can be the hardest-working person on the planet, but you will not be able to compete with modern technology and automation. The US has led, and continues to lead productivity, but you can't compete in 2017 with 1983 technology. It doesn't matter how hard you work, it's just not possible.

People on the oil-patch, in the steel mills, even in the coal mines can have work, and they are not afraid of labor, but they'll have to embrace modern technology to remain relevant, or someone else will. I hope that "someone else" is an American worker.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:05 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Just a flat-out incorrect statement.

You can be the hardest-working person on the planet, but you will not be able to compete with modern technology and automation. The US has led, and continues to lead productivity, but you can't compete in 2017 with 1983 technology. It doesn't matter how hard you work, it's just not possible.

People on the oil-patch, in the steel mills, even in the coal mines can have work, and they are not afraid of labor, but they'll have to embrace modern technology to remain relevant, or someone else will. I hope that "someone else" is an American worker.

In some cases, it isn't necessarily competing with technology but learning to adapt with technology.

Many of my friends are machinists, and back when we were just out of high school they were running Bridgeports and manual lathes etc. Now , they are still machinists but had to learn how to program and debug 5 axis CNC machines, waterjet cutters, etc.

Myself, when I got into design it was all on a drafting board. Then in the 90's we started working on 2d CAD programs , then those morphed into full 3 dimensional CAD programs and if you wanted to stay at the top of your game you had to keep up on all three of the major ones , well now two.

Degrees were not needed. Now these same jobs require one. I'm 48 and have worked as a draftsmen, designer and a design engineer all with no degree. Just now in the past couple of years have a felt my career being hindered by it. It's a scary think for me because what do I do ? I need another 15 years out of my career, and working towards a mechanical engineering degree and working full time and just never being involved in academics is going to be a daunting task.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:06 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Hello, time traveler.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:07 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
More globalist propaganda. And what are these coal miners to be "retrained" to be: semiconductor physicists, protein chemists, personal injury lawyers?

The new democrat "better deal" mantra (“A Better Deal: Better Jobs, Better Wages, Better Future”) is equivalent to putting lipstick on a pig. It is just the repackaging of throwing more money at the educational establishment for "retraining."

Old 08-18-2017, 09:10 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
More globalist propaganda. And what are these coal miners to be "retrained" to be: semiconductor physicists, protein chemists, personal injury lawyers?

The new democrat "better deal" mantra (“A Better Deal: Better Jobs, Better Wages, Better Future”) is equivalent to putting lipstick on a pig. It is just the repackaging of throwing more money at the educational establishment for "retraining."
What then is your positive spin on how to address the labor shortage for skilled workers?
Learning by osmosis? Or just waiting till Luddites and social conservatives drive us backwards enough that
blacksmiths and coal miners are relevant again.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:11 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
Ignorance is bliss.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:21 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
In some cases, it isn't necessarily competing with technology but learning to adapt with technology.

Many of my friends are machinists, and back when we were just out of high school they were running Bridgeports and manual lathes etc. Now , they are still machinists but had to learn how to program and debug 5 axis CNC machines, waterjet cutters, etc.
That's my brother-in-law to a tee. Smart guy, but without much book learning.

He's employed by a small Danish company, and they have completely dropped competing with China on large-scale manufacturing. (Think US wages are high? Try Denmark.) No way they can even try. However, they excel at small-batch or even single items made with fine tolerances, advanced materials and at short notice. (Priced accordingly, of course.) Prototypes, complex replacement parts for heavy machinery, some aerospace stuff (not much, the materials tracking is cumbersome), testing equipment etc.

Business is good, but - it's a niche. When the Vestas wind turbine company is happy with the prototype gearbox, they send it off to be mass produced in Poland or even China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies