Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you willing to "come together" and work with your ideological opposites?
Yes: I am right-wing but I am willing to work with the left. 4 13.33%
No: I am right-wing and view the left and their beliefs/policies as immoral. 3 10.00%
Yes: I am left-wing but I am willing to work with the right. 6 20.00%
No: I am left-wing and view the right and their beliefs/policies as immoral. 1 3.33%
I'm moderate. All of you ideologues are bat**** crazy. 16 53.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 09:46 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Depends on how moderate is defined. I guess I view it a little bit differently. Regardless, you'll be able to consider all the "yeses" as moderates.
A moderate is more or less the opposite of an extremist. I feel it's often used as a synonym for centrist, but that's not accurate. I'd say an extremist is someone who is willing to use violence and holds a point of view as being entirely exclusive. A centrists is someone who isn't terribly far to the left or right. I'm a centrist. I guess I'm also technically a moderate, as I would never support the political suppression or assault of people whom I disagree with.

I still voted left wing since I'm center left. I'm a moderate liberal.

Perhaps I should have voted for moderate, but I think the issue was 1) part of that answer suggested that I take issue with ideologies, and while that's true to a point, I also understand why some people believe in them, and 2) I feel the difference between a centrist and a moderate is too blurred, and I felt like giving a protest to that.

Point being, I believe in political discourse. The tragic irony, I think that means people who don't should still be given a platform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 11:42 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
NO, a country so geographically large, with such a huge population of so many different people, no overarching commonality.......no coming together is possible.

Maybe if the USA was the same country, with a population of 30 million, then we could have some kind of unity, maybe.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:46 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Of course it is.

After all, most Americans are not radical political idealogues.

I think the trouble is that a part of America's political/social/cultural identity is avoidance of interaction. The very fabric of American society is made from people of all walks of life who came here specifically to get away from politics.

We are an immigrant nation, and every race/creed/religion comes here because they were persecuted wherever back home was. It makes for extremely unlikely bedfellows, but we came here to get away.

My own parents moved here so that they could live a more peaceful life free from the political and social problems plaguing their families. It's hardly a unique story.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:02 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,432 times
I'm a liberal and have no issues working with the right, but I think certain long-term issues need to be put to bed once and for all if we are to work effectively together.

Legal abortion is law of the land. Un-infringed gun ownership is law of the land. Period.

For those who are still chaffed by these laws, then focus your energies on other methods to mitigate whatever issues you have, rather than trying to alter settled law.

Next, if our economic house is not in order no one can focus on other pressing issues. How are you going to get someone to listen to your concerns about the environment, for example, if they're struggling to pay the water bill?

And as liberal, I'll be the first to concede that the Dept. of Education should be discontinued. Everyone, regardless of political stripe, has to admit that our public education system is horribly flawed. It needs to be adjusted by parents, in small groups at the community level. I would love to see a co-op preschool model expanded for all ages and our taxes reduced (income and property) so parents can support their specific co-op.

Anyway, there's so much common ground that both sides can agree on, but politicians have a big interest in keeping us divided. It keeps them in office.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:19 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
We should come to together to reach an agreement to separate peacefully.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:16 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
NO, a country so geographically large, with such a huge population of so many different people, no overarching commonality.......no coming together is possible.

Maybe if the USA was the same country, with a population of 30 million, then we could have some kind of unity, maybe.
Ummm... The USA is the same size it was 240 years ago, and we passed the 30 million mark in the 1780's. We've been apart (The Civil War) and we have come together (WWII) a number of times over the last couple of centuries. So I disagree with your assessment.

But I agree with your bottom line nonetheless: NO, we cannot come together. The incredible power of today's social media, combined with corrupt government and corrupt propaganda-ridden mass media outlets, will see to it.

But's there's an exception: War. If North Korea, for example, were to actually land a nuke on Guam that resulted in massive death and destruction, then yes, we would "come together". It would be short lived, however, because once normal life resumed the same forces that are currently driving us apart would once again take hold.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:21 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
No way will it ever happen, we are and will be more divided every day.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:31 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,579 times
Not as long as either or both sides insists on total capitulation by the other. The constitution could not be negotiated today.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:42 PM

18,463 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Ummm... The USA is the same size it was 240 years ago, and we passed the 30 million mark in the 1780's. We've been apart (The Civil War) and we have come together (WWII) a number of times over the last couple of centuries. So I disagree with your assessment.

But I agree with your bottom line nonetheless: NO, we cannot come together. The incredible power of today's social media, combined with corrupt government and corrupt propaganda-ridden mass media outlets, will see to it.

But's there's an exception: War. If North Korea, for example, were to actually land a nuke on Guam that resulted in massive death and destruction, then yes, we would "come together". It would be short lived, however, because once normal life resumed the same forces that are currently driving us apart would once again take hold.
Ummm...no it isn't.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:32 PM

62,933 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
No way will it ever happen, we are and will be more divided every day.

I'm afraid you are right. Our enemies abroad must be loving this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies