Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 07:32 PM

5,065 posts, read 2,273,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The new moderate position, voiced here by a Princeton historian in the Washington Post, is that while we need to think carefully before dismantling the Jefferson Memorial or Washington Monument, we should certainly stop revering these men. We should keep in mind that Lincoln, Wilson and most other presidents were also bad guys and the fact that they were men of their times should no longer be seen as a defense.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...60d79#comments
In that case, we shouldn't look up to anyone, because no one is perfect. No more role models, no more glorification of sports figures and no more endorsements, DEFINITELY don't look up to actors or pay any heed to what they say, don't let anyone give public speeches. Sheesh. Let's just give everyone a little bubble to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 07:36 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
What are the numbers on this "growing movement?" 5, 6, maybe 11?
The SPLC estimates 5K to 10K KKK members and CNN wants me to be in a bunker with a canteen, crackers, and extra batteries in case A Kluxer comes by my house on a horse.

Sure 5,6, or 11 is a lot less but point is you can never be too sure.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to finish building the moat around my house in case Hitler's ghost decides to attack me in the middle of the night.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:51 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,780,869 times
There is no "movement," cherry picking tweets from far left academics doesn't count.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:02 PM
Her

298 posts, read 868,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The US Constitution is their main objective and will be next.
I'm thinking the currency will be next. Washington, Lincoln, Jackson....
Unless of course all of this anger is only over the statues.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:04 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The US Constitution is their main objective and will be next.
Checkmate. That is what they want. The Constitution is an obstacle to them.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:08 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
This Cornell professor in on board, comparing the founding fathers to Hitler and Goebbles:

Should We Tear Down Statues to Slave-Owning Presidents?

The 2016 Green Party VP candidate is also an advocate:

https://twitter.com/ajamubaraka/stat...90816366137344
So ~ two people so far? A Cornell prof and the bat-shyte crazy VP for Jill Stein?

This 'growing movement' will have to 'grow' a whole lot more to make it even worth discussing.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:11 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
There is no "movement," cherry picking tweets from far left academics doesn't count.
Well, these are their new talking points.

It benefits the failing Trump administration if they can make it all about statues and monuments as opposed to discussing the REAL problem of white supremacy groups that have glorified Trump as their Dear Leader.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:15 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,155,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
We don't need these statues, plain and simple.
Hi, there. You don't get to decide for me and my family. That is why there is voting.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:17 PM

487 posts, read 544,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Oh please, we don't need statues to learn a history lesson. These statues represent a dark period in our history and a side that didn't win. So why are we still glorying them.
That "dark period" as you call it may not have been our proudest time, but it is a part of history which we have evolved from. This should not be about statues.

This is getting carried away. The NYC Mass Transit is now removing tile designs in the subways that have been there for many many years from their walls because they resemble the Confederate flag. It is a cross with a red background symbolic of the crossroads of people. The original design had nothing to do with the Confederate flag. Now they are causing controversy. Where does it end?

Old 08-18-2017, 08:24 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,334,242 times
Quote:
What would happen if authorities came to dismantle the Jefferson Memorial or Washington Monument? Would people put themselves between the monuments and the demolition crews? Would they shut down D.C.?
Fear not. The greatest threat to the Washington Monument is that from a distance it resembles a key part of the male anatomy. And it's survived all these years nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies