Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2017, 03:48 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Press conferences from the President is a very imporant way to get the message out and it would be unfiltered and in Trump's own words. Trump has only done 1 real press conference since President. The public deserves to hear the press ask questions and Trump answer them live. Not the fake press conferences that he has with 1 or 2 easy questions or where he won't answer and simply walks away.

Twitter or a rally is a one way communication where Trump solely controls the agenda. A press conference allows the press to ask questions which the public wants answers to.

Is he too inept to answer questions on the fly and his handlers are hiding him from real press conferences. WHY? Is he mentally unfit to comprehend a question and give a competent answer? Is he clueless because he's too busy golfing? We need real press conferences.
Remember how he criticized Hillary on the campaign trail for not holding them? He used to count the days.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:41 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I think Trump understands getting his message out, with Rally's, and especially via Twitter, which I support. It's the ONLY way he gets his unfiltered message out. The only problem with that is our media interprets things differently than what Trump means, and they report each tweet as a disaster because it suits their agenda of destroying him, only it never does.

Please do not insult me by comparing my cooking to chef boy ar dee! I tasted that horse s**t once, and it was disgusting!!!
No insult intended.

But Chef Boy-ar-Dee still sells millions of gallons of spaghetti sauce every year. Even those who make much better at home still feed it to their kids when pressed for time.

Trump's 'unfiltered' messages are very clear in their interpretation. The only agenda in any of them is to make Donald Trump appear to be all-wise, all-potent, and the best ever man who ever lived.

Even you know it's empty bragging that is completely defensive. Every 12-year old kid does exactly the same thing and says the same stuff.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:07 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Citing Trump remarks, entire president's arts council quits - ABC News

If you look at the first letter in each paragraph it spells RESIST. love it!
Resist what?

Ronald Reagan punched women as an actor...

Old 08-19-2017, 05:57 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times
No, through tweets he sends a clear, unfiltered message. Like thanking John McCain for coming back to the senate so soon after brain surgery, and then McCain stabs America in the back. If Trump tried to send that message of bravery and thanks through the press, it would first be spun into a negative before the reporting took place, if at all.

If these "artists" run away from their role in the Trump White House, let them run away. They are not the only people who know "the arts". They can go back to pissing on themselves on stage and singing about it for the fools that pay for the tickets to watch that dreck.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Because Congress can't seek out the advice of people in the arts now if they are dealing with something relative?
Congress can, but it will take a lot more effort on their part to do so.
And the extra effort will take extra time. The councils were a way to make communication between the government and the experts of industry an easy 2-way street.

With all the members of a council gone, the street's still there, but there are roadblocks in it now. I'm sure any congressman who's truly seeking advice will still be able to find it, but it won't be as quick or easy to get it now.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:08 PM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
He has an art council? I guess nazi era art must be making a comeback.
No, they are leftover Obama skum that Trump had already said he was going to get rid of(Swamp drainage)...they resigned in an effort to get back at our Great President.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Mike I appreciate your posts and understand what you are saying. But since the arts are very important to the US then it seems a group would not abandon their calling by politicking. It smacks of "I'm going to take my ball and go home." Trump does have his own issues and they are many but how does this further the arts? It doesn't and it is a political decision only.
I agree. It's a shame the only way the council members believed they had to protest against Trump was to resign.
Resignation helps no one when politics overtakes all. All I can say is if I was on that council, I would have stuck it out and had it out with Trump, even if I was the only one left on the council.

But Trump himself is quick to avoid any confrontation like that. Once some of his industrial council resigned, he simply disbanded the entire council rather than face the music from those who remained. Many remained in the hope that they would be able to do just that- advise the president on the best course they could perceive.

Loyalty to leadership counts for a lot, but blind loyalty does not, and Trump seeks only the extremes; if anyone is not totally loyal to him in all regards, Trump will dismiss that person just as quickly as someone who openly opposes him.

That's no way for a president to lead. Every president must learn to take the bad and the good equally, and make the best resolution he can from hearing both. Trump really does not want to lead us. He wants us all to adore him.

Therein lies the difference. When he disbanded the industrial council, he threw the baby out with the bathwater. His supporters were sticking with him, but he pitched them all out.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:59 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
That's because most European countries have Governments that spend much more on the arts than the US. The US is probably dead last in per capita spending and percent of GDP.
The art I was talking about in Europe was created from roughly 1350 to 1890.

I wasn't talking about European governments spending money on art now. The great art of the past was funded through patronage by the wealthy. You didn't get patronage if you produced garbage, because nobody outside of government wants to spend money on garbage.

Governments, on the other hand, do spend money on inferior crap.

The Dutch government allowed people to declare themselves artists and get paid to produce "art", which ended up in warehouses because nobody wanted to look at it. The Dutch government eventually ran out of warehouse space and ended the program.

There's nothing wrong with government supporting the purchase by museums of the great art of the past, or restoring great buildings of the past, subsidizing top opera, ballet and symphony orchestra companies, etc. But there is something wrong with government subsidizing artists who, if they were truly talented, would be able to find buyers for their work and make a living doing art without any taxpayer subsidies.

I've already asked for examples of the "great art" that has been produced through government subsidies. I'm still waiting for the answer to that question.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Press conferences from the President is a very imporant way to get the message out and it would be unfiltered and in Trump's own words. Trump has only done 1 real press conference since President.
Wrong. He's done many. It's fun to watch him chew up the fake news "reporters".

Old 08-20-2017, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
But Trump himself is quick to avoid any confrontation like that. Once some of his industrial council resigned, he simply disbanded the entire council rather than face the music from those who remained. Many remained in the hope that they would be able to do just that- advise the president on the best course they could perceive....When he disbanded the industrial council, he threw the baby out with the bathwater. His supporters were sticking with him, but he pitched them all out.
Sorry, I don't buy that. Not one of them has said that he would have stayed and that what Trump did was okay with him.

They were grandstanding by deliberately leaving one at a time, so that each one could fill a separate news cycle and make sure Trump got as much bad press as possible

Those clowns already knew that Trump had done about 20 offensive things before they joined the council.

Why didn't it matter to them when he attacked Megyn Kelly and John McCain, attacked judge Curiel, said what he said in the Access Hollywood video, made his comment about Mexican illegal aliens being rapists and murderers, retweeted a fake graph that made black crime appear worse than it was, etc.?

Surely, they didn't join that council thinking that Trump was an angel or that he wasn't controversial.

No, this was all about them bowing down to a fake news media campaign that falsely accused Trump of supporting Nazis.

They knew he hadn't done that, but they couldn't take the heat of the ginned up controversy, so they pretended -- and only pretended -- to care about Trump's "racism" (all of a sudden) and decided to virtue signal.

They put virtue signalling over their own shareholders' interests.

I don't know why anyone invests in these companies anymore -- all of which practice racism by openly discriminating against white males (so much for their sanctimonious "concern" about racism), offshore jobs for cheap labor to increase profits, and support massive legal and illegal immigration at the expense of the middle and working classes in this country.

A lot of these companies would go out of business if they didn't get special breaks by the government. Well, I hope Trump ends that coddling. Bannon is right. Increase taxes on the very rich. Tax companies that offshore jobs and that lobby for massive legal and illegal immigration.

Let them feel the pain that they deserve to feel for screwing American workers.

Last edited by dechatelet; 08-20-2017 at 03:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies