Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 03:58 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times

Advertisements

The idea of renaming streets, taking down statues, etc. is all the rage since Charlottesville. Sure it's been done in the past, but it seems like overnight WHAM - everyone wants in on the action.

I see thread after thread commenting on should they rename this or take down that. Instead, let's put it all in one place.

Share your thoughts on something specific, or in general. Maybe it's the street you live on or a statue in a local park. Maybe it's something you saw in the news. It's insane this movement that's going on right now.

I'll start -
John Henry the owner of the Boston Red Sox wants to rename Yawkey Way because when Yawkey was the owner the Red Sox were the last team to integrate. BS - it's baseball, and even if he was the last, he changed by integrating. People can change.
Abe Lincoln stood on both sides of the fence on slavery. It wasn't named in the constitution, but clauses protected the institution. Any talk of taking down anything Lincoln is ludicrous IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 04:01 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times
My thoughts are that it's totally ridiculous. It's history. I mean, really, just because someone gets their little feelings hurt doesn't mean we have to change the entire landscape, for Pete's sake!

We're in a time that makes me very glad I'm as old as I am. I hate to think of what America will look like in 25 years.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:09 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I will give my perspective.

-I was born in the United States of America, not the Confederate States of America.

-This is something else I know. Yes, the Founding Fathers owned slaves. They didn't fight a war for the explicit purpose of keeping slavery around. The American Revolution had nothing to do with slavery. The Confederates, however, were very clear that they were fighting to keep slavery. As the descendant of slaves, I have no reason to show any respect or honor towards those who fought for the Confederacy. The Confederate cause was an ugly cause.
A cause that would have come at MY expense.

-I am an American. The Confederates are traitors. We don't put up statues of the guys that bombed Pearl Harbor. Why do we put up statues honoring Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis, Nathan Bedford Forrest, and Stonewall Jackson? They were traitors.

I feel no sadness when I see those statues removed. It isn't an "erasing of history". Erasing history would be lying. The people who claimed the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery, the people who perpetuate the "Lost Cause Of The Confederacy" lie are erasing history. Taking those statues down is an acknowledgement that some people don't deserve to be honored. Anyone who wages war against the USA, and in the name of keeping slavery, does not deserve a statue. Said persons deserved to by tried as traitors, and executed.

This is why I signed petitions to have street names changed, and a Confederate flag in a suburb of Atlanta taken down. I have always felt this way. I have felt this way since I was 14, 15 years old(I'm 31 years old).

Old 08-18-2017, 04:14 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
I honestly do not care. Its up to the local communities. The right is trying for a ton of false equivalency nonsense, and ignoring the issue. The left is trying way too hard to make this a thing.

Focus on the real issue-violent racists who commit terrorism and murder people.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I will give my perspective.

-I was born in the United States of America, not the Confederate States of America.

-This is something else I know. Yes, the Founding Fathers owned slaves. They didn't fight a war for the explicit purpose of keeping slavery around. The American Revolution had nothing to do with slavery. The Confederates, however, were very clear that they were fighting to keep slavery. As the descendant of slaves, I have no reason to show any respect or honor towards those who fought for the Confederacy. The Confederate cause was an ugly cause.
A cause that would have come at MY expense.

-I am an American. The Confederates are traitors. We don't put up statues of the guys that bombed Pearl Harbor. Why do we put up statues honoring Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis, Nathan Bedford Forrest, and Stonewall Jackson? They were traitors.

I feel no sadness when I see those statues removed. It isn't an "erasing of history". Erasing history would be lying. The people who claimed the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery, the people who perpetuate the "Lost Cause Of The Confederacy" lie are erasing history. Taking those statues down is an acknowledgement that some people don't deserve to be honored. Anyone who wages war against the USA, and in the name of keeping slavery, does not deserve a statue. Said persons deserved to by tried as traitors, and executed.

This is why I signed petitions to have street names changed, and a Confederate flag in a suburb of Atlanta taken down. I have always felt this way. I have felt this way since I was 14, 15 years old(I'm 31 years old).
Why do you only have an opinion on the Confederate statues?

We have threads up regarding British soldiers buried in Massachusetts, Brigham Young statues in Utah, and Native American statues as well. Plus more I'm missing.

All three groups were enemies of the United States. If you were born in America, why aren't you upset at these statues/memorials/plaques of others who did Americans harm?

Old 08-18-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I too would prefer to focus on BLM, Antifa, Nazis and the KKK if we have to spend any time on this issue.

Those groups are enemies to those who embrace freedom all over the country. They are small but should be condemned.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:29 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
My thoughts are that I am glad I do not live in the South even though many of the people and places are lovely.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:34 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Why do you only have an opinion on the Confederate statues?

We have threads up regarding British soldiers buried in Massachusetts, Brigham Young statues in Utah, and Native American statues as well. Plus more I'm missing.

All three groups were enemies of the United States. If you were born in America, why aren't you upset at these statues/memorials/plaques of others who did Americans harm?
Different circumstances. In the case of the Utah War, President Buchanan sent troops to Utah. And the cause wasn't even the same. Again false equivalency. And technically, Brigham Young didn't declare war against the USA. He just blocked troops from coming into the Salt Lake Valley. Brigham Young said this:

"I love the government and the Constitution of the United States, but I do not love the damned rascals that administer the government."

The Confederates actively pursued to break away from the USA and fired on a U.S. military installation first. There were several compromises before this, but the Confederates were dead set on not being part of the USA. Their cause was to keep slavery. Unlike the Confederates, Mormons were actually being persecuted. The Confederates through a fit over the FEAR of not being able to own slaves. Mormons were not trying to break away from the country or declare war against it. Confederates actually were.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:39 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I honestly do not care. Its up to the local communities. The right is trying for a ton of false equivalency nonsense, and ignoring the issue. The left is trying way too hard to make this a thing.

Why can't conservatives seem to grasp this concept????

Old 08-18-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Different circumstances. In the case of the Utah War, President Buchanan sent troops to Utah. And the cause wasn't even the same. Again false equivalency. And technically, Brigham Young didn't declare war against the USA. He just blocked troops from coming into the Salt Lake Valley. Brigham Young said this:

"I love the government and the Constitution of the United States, but I do not love the damned rascals that administer the government."

The Confederates actively pursued to break away from the USA and fired on a U.S. military installation first. There were several compromises before this, but the Confederates were dead set on not being part of the USA. Their cause was to keep slavery. Unlike the Confederates, Mormons were actually being persecuted. The Confederates through a fit over the FEAR of not being able to own slaves. Mormons were not trying to break away from the country or declare war against it. Confederates actually were.
I strongly disagree with your assessment and vehemently disagree that it's a false equivalency.

Thank you though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies