Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2017, 01:06 PM

1,640 posts, read 794,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wonder why he said (was it last night?) that he wasn't coming. Serious question. Maybe when he heard about the potential turnout of protesters he figured it was a lost cause?
From what I have heard on the news and read the organizers and he parted ways because of the counter-protest response.

Poor WN had his free speech infringed upon.

Quote:
BTW, I watched the whole thing on local tv and it was peaceful, literally a walk in the park. And the people appeared to mostly be locals. Some from nearby Connecticut and some from other parts of Massachusetts but most were local to Boston. They were people who might have been walking in that park (Boston Common) today anyway. Not recruited from anywhere.
People have been talking about it online. A number of friends on FB were making plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
People have the right to carry whatever they like on their person.
No, no they don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
So, not watching CNN or any mainstream media coverage of the protest.

But it sounds like the white nationalists crybabies punked out?
Yep, essentially.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:09 PM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
Of course. Especially when it's of no consequence to you. That's how it usually goes with people. Absolutism is just not something I can get on board with.
You are completely on board with Absolutism.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:10 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I disagree.

Violence only occurs when someone initiates violence.

People have the right to carry whatever they like on their person.
And while often times we agree, in this case I do not agree with you. I am not a person to attend any kind of protest but if I did it would not be in that manner. If you are protesting a controversial subject with the likelihood of a clash then that is not the place for guns, bats, shields, bottles, aerosol cans, etc. You are a knucklehead if you take those kinds items to a protest and you are not there for a peaceful exhibition of your rights. That said, the police should never let groups like this commingle in the first place.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:14 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post

Yep, essentially.
LOL, sounds about right.

And they have the audacity to call liberal men effeminate.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:16 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
So, not watching CNN or any mainstream media coverage of the protest.

But it sounds like the white nationalists crybabies punked out?
Sounds like they made fools of the SJW weenies. A beautiful summer day here in Boston wasted opposing nothing.

They never intended to show up.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:17 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Cassy, some Americans cherish free speech in our country, our very unique country, and some do not.

I stand firmly on the side of free speech. You do not.
Interestingly you fail to understand both sides exercised their right to free speech. Why do you feel only one side should have the right to it?

Old 08-19-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You are completely on board with Absolutism.
Maybe if you're redefining what that means. Not only am I not on board with it, but I don't think it's even real. You can say you support free speech, or the truth, or the law, or anything for that matter, in absolute terms, under all circumstances, but there there will always be changing variables, an environment, that will alter it's meaning, benefit, or consequence.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:20 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Sounds like they made fools of the SJW weenies. A beautiful summer day here in Boston wasted opposing nothing.

They never intended to show up.
Oh yeah, I'm sure that's the spin they came up with and what they're telling all their buddies from the safety of their computer.

Lolllll.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:24 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
"free speech" is the new "states rights" - often used as a code word that means "I can be as hateful as I like with a loudspeaker".

I suspect if we discussed the issue with 100 smart and patriotic Americans, we would get different answers as to where the line is. Free Speech is a student in school telling his teacher that teach is a a-hole. It's him telling a classmate she is a fat pig. It could be full blown propaganda and lies, paid for by corporate media.

We already know that the "free speech" cigarette companies used to promote their products was illegal.

Citizens United has brought a lot of this to the forefront for two reasons...

1. Billionaires want to own lying Media and lying Media relies on "free speech" to lie to that degree....with the end being the destruction of civility and the social fabric.

2. The vast amount of money being raked in by Hate Radio, TV, Books, Movies and other media is not something the Right feels good about compromising. Given a choice between decency and a sane debate and hatemongering, the later sells MUCH better.

The Right in this country - when looked at in any realistic way (which means using history) is WAY off the rails. They would love to bring massive firepower to school, on airliners, to concerts, protests and Starbucks. They do this - like "free speech" because they can.

But if each of us spends our time trying to stretch our rights to the furthest possible limit...we are not approaching our problems in a sane manner. Rosa Parks refused to sit in the back of the bus. She didn't stand up and say "you ass-hole have enslaved my ancestors for generations because of your laziness and YOU should sit in the back - and meanwhile I have 6 guns on me, so you should do so quickly".

But that is the modern right.

"States rights" is a code work for nullification, culling of voter registration lists, etc.
"Free Speech" is just the new PR for "Hate Speech in the public square".

It's certainly not attracting much of a crowd in Boston.

I just don't buy that these Nazi's are patriots. When I first heard about Holocaust Deniers, Hitler and Putin lovers and all the various similar movements I had no problem with such writing and ramblings. But now we see the rubber hitting the road. These are not people who are simply studying history and coming to different conclusions...they START with the conclusions (Jews ruin the world) and then make everything else fit it.

We will lose NOTHING by not having 100 "free speech" rallies run by white separatists. They can continue to publish their rewriting of history and try to increase their numbers...without walking down the street with Ar-15's and acting like children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies