Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2017, 01:35 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I don't feel one side should have a right to free speech.

The rally was deemed "far-right", "Nazis" by the press and tens of thousands showed up to protest. If the people who wanted to attend the rally showed up to hear the speakers they would have been photographed, doxxed, harassed at their jobs, and who knows what else.

The social media would have labeled attendees "far-right" and attacked them for listening to the what the speakers had to say.

We don't know what would have been said at the rally. They didn't have a chance to say anything. And even if vile, do you condone intimidation of free speech?
So, the other side used their right to free speech to oppose the KKK. Why is that a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 01:36 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
It doesn't matter if you want to call it fascism or not. A man doesn't have that right anytime/anyhow he wants. I believe Taiwan may have those rights. Not here.
It's a natural right. I don't care about lines on maps.

A man has every right to move freely about the earth with whatever he likes on his person as long as he does not not initiate force on others.

Any restrictions on this right, imposed by a State or other person, is clearly a violent act in itself.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:37 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It works for me. I only answer to myself and then extend respect to those that respect the NAP.

If the State or anyone else violates it they are wrong. That's why the State is always wrong: its whole premise is a violation of the NAP.

You have to be principled.
Except that people just aren't. I am only responsible for me and my actions and we agree on that.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:39 PM

89,017 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
seriously? all of the hypocrisy and cognitive dissonance comes from the left
I'm becoming more convinced by the day that they do not have the intellectual capacity to comprehend that.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:42 PM

1,640 posts, read 794,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I don't feel one side should have a right to free speech.

The rally was deemed "far-right", "Nazis" by the press and tens of thousands showed up to protest. If the people who wanted to attend the rally showed up to hear the speakers they would have been photographed, doxxed, harassed at their jobs, and who knows what else.
So, now it's free speech without consequence? That's not how life works and that's something the alt-right needs to learn and is likely learning. Accountability.

Quote:
The social media would have labeled attendees "far-right" and attacked them for listening to the what the speakers had to say.

We don't know what would have been said at the rally. They didn't have a chance to say anything. And even if vile, do you condone intimidation of free speech?
We did know what was going to be said because a key speaker spoke last weekend.

"White nationalist leader Richard Spencer credits Invictus with writing the first draft of the "Charlottesville Statement", which Spencer said should be compared to the Port Huron Statement in 1962.

Among the key tenets of Friday's statement are that "Jews are an ethno-religious people distinct from Europeans," "Whites alone defined America as a European society and political order," "the so-called 'refugee crisis' is an invasion, a war without bullets, taking place on the fields of race, religion, sex and morality. At stake is Europe's very identity," "we oppose feminism, deviancy, the futile denial of biological reality, and everything destructive to healthy relations between men and women," and "Leftism is an ideology of death and must be confronted and defeated."

That is what the psychopath has to say.

Read more here: Augustus Sol Invictus spoke at Charlottesville white nationalist rally | Miami Herald

Old 08-19-2017, 01:42 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Bravo for Boston!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Except that people just aren't. I am only responsible for me and my actions and we agree on that.
I'm just taking the next step in the logical/moral stance. To be as consistent as possible.

If we can't carry what we want on our person we will get the thought police hot on our trail of what's "acceptable".

Gun: no.

Baseball bat: no

Pocket knife under 4 inches: yes

wearing wedding rings: no (bastardized brass knuckles)

Backpack over 14 pounds: no (deemed a heavy object)

See where I'm going? Regulation, collectivism, and thought policing. It's the pathway to the Left's den of hell.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Also, you have every right to defend yourself. If you go to a rally and a man throws a punch at you by all means defend yourself.

Defensive "violence" is clearly moral and just.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:48 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm just taking the next step in the logical/moral stance. To be as consistent as possible.

If we can't carry what we want on our person we will get the thought police hot on our trail of what's "acceptable".

Gun: no.

Baseball bat: no

Pocket life under 4 inches: yes

wearing wedding rings: no (bastardized brass knuckles)

Backpack over 14 pounds: no (deemed a heavy object)

See where I'm going? Regulation, collectivism, and thought policing. It's the pathway to the Left's den of hell.
I know what you are saying but in the instance of protests with controversial subjects I am inclined to lean on experience and people's lack of common sense coupled with rage. The idiots will always prove me right and innocent lives are not worth the fight in this case.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:49 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
http://tu9srvbirvvtmjikas5pbwd1ci5jb200.g00.superherohype .com/g00/2_Zm9ydW1zLnN1cGVyaGVyb2h5cGUuY29t_/TU9SRVBIRVVTMjIkaHR0cDovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL0VURVE2Vj IuanBnP2kxMGMubWFyay5pbWFnZS50eXBl_$/$

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-19-2017 at 01:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies