Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 06:28 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
3. There are new Statues being commissioned today that will be up before the year is over.
Where is the money coming from for these new statues?
Quote:
I get that you dislike, maybe even hate the left., But you cant pretend like these statues are just of Southern Pride, they arent.
I'd really like to see PBS air the Ken Burns documentary on the Civil War again. IMO you would understand that these Confederate markers were put up more for historical value, than promoting white pride or racism.

In high school, I took a different history class every year. American, Russian German and Ancient History. And a decent part of the studies focused on the great battles in history AND... the battle strategies. West Point cadets also study battle strategies. History buffs participate in battle reenactments. Military buffs don't care about the politics that causes the battles, it's the strategies and the efforts of the soldiers' heroics, efforts and sacrifices on the fields of war.

Thirty years ago, I had a close friend who loved collecting German WWII paratrooper militaria. He was Sicilian American. His dad in the US National Guard. The family didn't have a racist or anti-Semitic bone in their bodies. My friend was just into the German design and engineering of that military division. He wasn't a neo-Nazi, just a history buff. And he didn't have any Nazi flags hanging in his room. I tried on one of his German paratrooper smocks, and it was a very nice uniform. But of course it could never be worn in public and there was a small eagle carrying a swastika embroidered on left side.

Anyway, I am very disappointed as how the left wants to stereotype anyone who is not ashamed of being white as a white supremacist. And a white person being sick and tired of affirmative action programs doesn't mean that they are a racist or a white supremacist.

All races matter equally. And all races should be treated equally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 06:29 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Im not saying all Southerns are racist. Im not saying all conservatives are racist. Im not even saying everyone who supports leaving these statues up, or protests in support of them are racist.

I am saying that the South has a race problem that many dont want to acknowledge .
Just the south?

Old 08-18-2017, 06:31 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Those that call people racist are racist themselves.
Only if they hate people based on their race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu
So sad that an important part of US history is being erased and rewritten by liberals and blacks.
Sorry, but not having monuments to traitors and not celebrating the ownership of other human beings does not constitute erasing or rewriting history.

The ones trying to rewrite history are on the right, pretending that the civil war wasn't about slavery when we have the original writings saying explicitly that's exactly what they were upset about.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:34 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Many minorities fought on the confederate side.

Not all of the Confederate soldiers came from the S
outh, but from the North as well. Many were
of foreign-birth, or from minorities within the Con
federate States of America. Mexicans and
Mexican-Americans enlisted, as well as African-Amer
icans and even Native-Americans. Many
unusual nationalities, such as Egypt and Syria, wer
e represented on the Confederate enlistment
rolls, and all of these groups made the Southern mi
litary a more interesting and diverse fighting
force. The Confederate soldiers were indeed more va
ried than what is commonly portrayed
today

http://florida-scv.org/Camp1316/Mino...ate%20Army.pdf
I have never understood why anyone would post a comment like this, what exactly is the point you are trying to make ????

Old 08-18-2017, 06:35 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:

The healing process after the Civil War was to bring the country back together. Erecting monuments of both sides helped the healing process knowing both sides lost many lives and had to go on as one nation.

Now the liberal left is opening up wounds that have healed.

Sadly I agree with this, however it's not liberals it's a lot of people here in the South. And if you think any wounds have been healed your crazy...Wait you still crazy.

There are a lot of whites and blacks who can't stand the other and most of them are bible thumpers on both side. There are still black in the South who believe that they should be paid because their relatives were slaves, and some whites who believe that everyone should own their own slave and would like to see slavery back a come back.

Don't the fact that this is 2017 fool you.

39,200 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Since the roots of racism are tied around the feelings of alienation/separatism/exclusivity, the solution to end racism lies in reversing these same feelings. More people talk to each other, more people understand each other, lesser and lesser becomes the alienation, stronger becomes the co-operation. When all these happens at some point strangers start looking like "normal".

I don't think removing monuments is the answer.

Quote:
Just the south?
No, but in your OP, you talk specifically about the South, It is the subject matter is it not ????

Old 08-18-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Where is the money coming from for these new statues?

I'd really like to see PBS air the Ken Burns documentary on the Civil War again. IMO you would understand that these Confederate markers were put up more for historical value, than promoting white pride or racism.

In high school, I took a different history class every year. American, Russian German and Ancient History. And a decent part of the studies focused on the great battles in history AND... the battle strategies. West Point cadets also study battle strategies. History buffs participate in battle reenactments. Military buffs don't care about the politics that causes the battles, it's the strategies and the efforts of the soldiers' heroics, efforts and sacrifices on the fields of war.

Thirty years ago, I had a close friend who loved collecting German WWII paratrooper militaria. He was Sicilian American. His dad in the US National Guard. The family didn't have a racist or anti-Semitic bone in their bodies. My friend was just into the German design and engineering of that military division. He wasn't a neo-Nazi, just a history buff. And he didn't have any Nazi flags hanging in his room. I tried on one of his German paratrooper smocks, and it was a very nice uniform. But of course it could never be worn in public and there was a small eagle carrying a swastika embroidered on left side.

Anyway, I am very disappointed as how the left wants to stereotype anyone who is not ashamed of being white as a white supremacist. And a white person being sick and tired of affirmative action programs doesn't mean that they are a racist or a white supremacist.

All races matter equally. And all races should be treated equally.
Sir, im a Southerner born and raised, in fact, I live on Mobile Bay. google the significance of it, and the Civil war and you will understand the flaw of your argument .

Ill help you out a little and just say I have lived the argument you are trying to make my entire life. Half the field trips I took in school were to Civil war memorials or battle fields.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:45 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Sadly I agree with this, however it's not liberals it's a lot of people here in the South. And if you think any wounds have been healed your crazy...Wait you still crazy.

There are a lot of whites and blacks who can't stand the other and most of them are bible thumpers on both side. There are still black in the South who believe that they should be paid because their relatives were slaves, and some whites who believe that everyone should own their own slave and would like to see slavery back a come back.

Don't the fact that this is 2017 fool you.
What kind of people do you know?

I am in the south and see white men working with blacks , hispanics and they get along. I don't see your kind of racism at all. I know it exists but I have not seen it here.

Up north in NJ, blacks and whites work together, support one another, go to weddings and funerals together.

In Florida I see everyone getting along. My diverse neighborhood is awesome. No division . No hate.

Up north achurch I went to had a black pastor from Nigeria.. it was an all white congregation.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:48 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times
Quote:
The healing process after the Civil War was to bring the country back together. Erecting monuments of both sides helped the healing process knowing both sides lost many lives and had to go on as one nation.

Now the liberal left is opening up wounds that have healed.

The liberals are now implying that the southern people and keeping their statues are a sign of racism and that their statues must come down. The left are calling the southern people traitors as if they are still the enemy. This is dangerous to hear this.

They are now dividing the country again to demand these statues are to be removed. It is as if they believe the south is racist yet the history of this country has long moved on.

The left is stirring up any hate they can through dividing us.. Those self righteous people who think they are fighting a cause are creating hate and division.. these so called do gooders are ratcheting it up and it will not be good for our nation.
Anybody who writes of "wounds that have healed" with respect to race has no business starting this thread.

You're already in way over your head.

Even my most far right wing friend (and she is about as out there as you can get) knows better than that - much as she hates to admit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies