Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 07:55 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine what kind of life some people have had to get such a different perspective on people, life, culture, races, etc.

Elevate non-whites? Where does this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 07:58 PM

39,198 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I can't imagine what kind of life some people have had to get such a different perspective on people, life, culture, races, etc.

Elevate non-whites? Where does this happen?
Maybe you should re-read

I posted

I feel Those in power seem to want to keep poor whites in their place, elevated above non-whites and fueling their hatred for them, without providing the things people really need (healthcare and education) This does not ever solve the conditions of poverty under which they suffer and only exacerbates the same racism that continues to destroy the lives of so many people. Those in power also seem to want to keep poor blacks and non-white lower class minorities in their place, by creating a scapegoat (the ENTIRE white race)

Old 08-18-2017, 07:59 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Anyone that thinks just the South has race problems is a damn fool. There are just as many race problems in the north and other regions of the country as there are in the South.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:06 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The healing process after the Civil War was to bring the country back together. Erecting monuments of both sides helped the healing process knowing both sides lost many lives and had to go on as one nation.

Now the liberal left is opening up wounds that have healed.

The liberals are now implying that the southern people and keeping their statues are a sign of racism and that their statues must come down. The left are calling the southern people traitors as if they are still the enemy. This is dangerous to hear this.

They are now dividing the country again to demand these statues are to be removed. It is as if they believe the south is racist yet the history of this country has long moved on.

The left is stirring up any hate they can through dividing us.. Those self righteous people who think they are fighting a cause are creating hate and division.. these so called do gooders are ratcheting it up and it will not be good for our nation.
I grew up in the South in a small town. Whites were mostly well off and Hispanics mostly poor.

I can't tell you the number of times we were denied service at private companies or simply ignored by public servants or volunteers. I ran into KKK members. Some who even gave me their business cards even though I looked Mexican Indian. Some who told me my kind will be gone soon or that we will all be digging ditches were we belong. All this, to scare me or shoo me away.

So when you imply that I should be fearful of a divided nation, I think the opposite. The divides will always be there because of differing values, beliefs, customs and cultures. So it is not something to be feared. It is an obstacle. We should aim for connection.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:19 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well... as a northerner, my only issues with blacks have been with ones who have ghetto culture lifestyles and values and speak in ebonics. Blacks who can speak proper English and have moral values like the Obamas and Oprah, I never have any issues with. I really see the current clashes as much less racial and more about cultural and social class differences.

I know no one that wants America to bring back black slavery. And honestly, after seeing the quality of black workers at my job, I would never want a black slave or servant. I'd go Asian, for staff. Ideally Japanese. Hard workers and very honorable.

And btw, America is always going to have income disparity as long as we keep letting in uneducated, low skill immigrants and coddling our ghetto culture people. With our current global society, the path to upward mobility is by rejecting ghetto culture and values and instead valuing academic prowess/nerdiness over being a player or celebrity type. Learning how to code is the way to go. Also, going into the trades is still a good career path.

Sorry,but you do not get to define moral values for blacks.

The quality of black workers at your job?
Wow.

You will get your wake up call Asian lady...kkk does not want your kind here either

Old 08-18-2017, 09:34 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Some localities are doing this. Their decision. Charlottesville is a liberal town.

Are you against local rule? Do you want folks from states thousands of miles away making the choice?
I believe they are removing them, not by choice ,but by fear and intimidation. This is what the bullying left does.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:38 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
I believe they are removing them, not by choice ,but by fear and intimidation. This is what the bullying left does.
Are you suggesting Charlottesville council was not duly elected? You need to post evidence. That is defamatory if you do not have it.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:40 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
And btw. Lived in the area for 13 years. No coercion. Charlottesville is quite liberal. Do some research next time. This was a town decision.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:45 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
These statures need to be removed. It's not fear or intimidation. It's just the right thing to do for everyone. Why are we still glorying confederates who lost and were racist. Roger Tanney's statue was removed from Annapolis, the state house grounds. And it was removed overnight and approved by a republican governor. Do you know who Tanney was.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:54 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
For the most part, the South is where the bulk of the Statues are located. CNN showed a map of the ones already taken down, and I can assure you, it is nation wide. So if that was your problem, it is now solved.

1. By definition, you would have to be an American to be a traitor to America, LOL

2. Rebelling against the US government makes you a traitor, that is in the Constitution. It is one of the few crimes specifically mentioned in the Constitution no less.

3. Im a black Southern guy, and im telling you I dont like these statues.

My argument isnt that you have to agree with me, but rather that you need to stop pretending like this is a made up story.

People have long wanted these statues down.
Next Washington and Jefferson. The left loves to make controversy.
Who is to say who is a traitor. In this case it is pure opinion and outcome of who is the winner. We have all rebelled in our own way against the government. If the South had won the civil war the North would be the traitors to the south. if the Confederates were traitors what was the penalty for being a traitor after the war ended? True fact is the states had a right to secede.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies