Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 12:49 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times

Advertisements

Cactus, it's all cactus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 07:38 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
The question was answered and you ignored it. I could make a case but we all know history. What is juvenile is your choice to dodge and ignore it. You continue prove why these types of groups should advocate for their own...
One person answered the question (NigerianNightmare) and I responded. I am not dodging history, I am curious to understand your reasoning. You have yet to even make a case as to why your original statement makes a black caucus necessary.

By all means don't answer the question, just quit pretending to be so passionate about it.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:54 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
What does this even mean?
Quote:
One person answered the question (NigerianNightmare) and I responded. I am not dodging history, I am curious to understand your reasoning. You have yet to even make a case as to why your original statement makes a black caucus necessary.

By all means don't answer the question, just quit pretending to be so passionate about it.
Wanted to note on these that the question was about "black" being our culture.

The two posters who you responded to/quoted, have not identified that they are black Americans, meaning they have a deeply rooted ancestry in this country. They are black immigrants or children of black immigrants.

Due to that, I wanted to note that the CBC actually does not advocate for black culture. The CBC was founded to create a caucus that focused on issues that were of great importance to the civil, educational, and economic needs of black Americans in the 1970s. They still have that as their mission.

Their second focus was and is on increasing the amount of black American representatives (regardless of party) in Congress. Today, about 8% of all federal elected officials are black Americans, which is much less than our population percentage wise.

In the 1970s the main issues they worked on were related to the denoument, basically of the climax of the Civil Rights Movements - they focused on strengthening the Voting Rights Act also of strengthening and ensuring compliance with the Fair Housing Act along with increasing educational opportunities for black Americans (via both federal programs and funding).

They were successful in their endeavors and the fact that black Americans today have benefited from their initial activities is a testament to their success. They've also been successful in providing opportunities for black youth to get experience in politics/public service. As stated, I have a family member who was an intern for a CBC rep via their internship program. I also received a scholarship from their scholarship fund that provides money to predominantly black students to complete their undergraduate, graduate, and doctorate degrees.

They currently have a "leadership foundation" that provides work experience for predominantly black students and networking opportunities. So they are still a relevant organization from various standpoints.

I'll note on our culture, that we do not need an African culture. I agree our culture is "black" and it is unique and different from other black people of the diaspora. I have nothing against other black people or their cultures, but ours in America is not worse or "missing" since we have a rich cultural history and background that is, in part, shown via the history and work of the CBC. Our culture has a particular focus on activism, community service, and education.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

The two posters who you responded to/quoted, have not identified that they are black Americans, meaning they have a deeply rooted ancestry in this country. They are black immigrants or children of black immigrants.

Due to that, I wanted to note that the CBC actually does not advocate for black culture. The CBC was founded to create a caucus that focused on issues that were of great importance to the civil, educational, and economic needs of black Americans in the 1970s. They still have that as their mission.

Their second focus was and is on increasing the amount of black American representatives (regardless of party) in Congress. Today, about 8% of all federal elected officials are black Americans, which is much less than our population percentage wise.

In the 1970s the main issues they worked on were related to the denoument, basically of the climax of the Civil Rights Movements - they focused on strengthening the Voting Rights Act also of strengthening and ensuring compliance with the Fair Housing Act along with increasing educational opportunities for black Americans (via both federal programs and funding).

They were successful in their endeavors and the fact that black Americans today have benefited from their initial activities is a testament to their success. They've also been successful in providing opportunities for black youth to get experience in politics/public service. As stated, I have a family member who was an intern for a CBC rep via their internship program. I also received a scholarship from their scholarship fund that provides money to predominantly black students to complete their undergraduate, graduate, and doctorate degrees.

They currently have a "leadership foundation" that provides work experience for predominantly black students and networking opportunities. So they are still a relevant organization from various standpoints.

I'll note on our culture, that we do not need an African culture. I agree our culture is "black" and it is unique and different from other black people of the diaspora. I have nothing against other black people or their cultures, but ours in America is not worse or "missing" since we have a rich cultural history and background that is, in part, shown via the history and work of the CBC. Our culture has a particular focus on activism, community service, and education.
Duuuuuh...could you explain?

Old 10-09-2017, 02:46 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:

The point is that if you and others are so sick of seeing "black" this and "black" that then find a way to give Black Americans back their original cultures which were literally beaten out of them. Then like the Asians identify by ethnicity/nationality, then so will they. Until then, stop whining.

Your kind of ignorance, acting like you don't know history, is why they have a black caucus...

Old 10-09-2017, 04:50 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Finally. Someone with the mental capacity to move the conversation forward. Thank you, I was starting to lose all hope.

I agree with everything you said regarding the purpose of the Black Caucus, people can disagree on whether or not their mission to help a specific subset of the population is good or bad, but that's a different discussion.

The original post that I responded to claimed that the reason for "black" things (their words, not mine) is because their original culture and history was stolen from them, and implied that these "black" things are their way of taking it back, which your post completely contradicts as you say the reason for the Black Caucus is not to advocate for black culture (which I believe the original post was insinuating is African culture). Now maybe the original poster realized that their comment was a bit ridiculous, but I can't believe this thread has gone another six pages without them even attempting to argue their case.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Finally. Someone with the mental capacity to move the conversation forward. Thank you, I was starting to lose all hope.

I agree with everything you said regarding the purpose of the Black Caucus, people can disagree on whether or not their mission to help a specific subset of the population is good or bad, but that's a different discussion.

The original post that I responded to claimed that the reason for "black" things (their words, not mine) is because their original culture and history was stolen from them, and implied that these "black" things are their way of taking it back, which your post completely contradicts as you say the reason for the Black Caucus is not to advocate for black culture (which I believe the original post was insinuating is African culture). Now maybe the original poster realized that their comment was a bit ridiculous, but I can't believe this thread has gone another six pages without them even attempting to argue their case.
Just wanted to note on the bold that that was why I referenced that those posters were either immigrants or children of immigrants. Many blacks in America do not know much if anything about the culture of black America or what it entails and I've discovered that that is especially true for blacks who are immigrants or the children of immigrants in this country.

On the reason for "black" things, I'd note that there was no particular "original culture and history" of what is now black America (those of us with very deep ancestry in this country). Our very distant African ancestors were of various cultural backgrounds and those cultures combined and became our current black American culture. The word "black" in "black culture" is specific to our ancestors who have been in the country for at least the past 150 to 400 years. They created a "new" culture, which is what we have today based upon a shared experience and history of being black in America.

There are actually very few organizations that were created to explore and highlight (what I consider "taking back") black culture. Most of them the majority of the posters here would not know anything about because they only pay attention to specific "black" organizations like CBC.

On CBC focusing on black people being seen as "bad" by some other people. I'll note that I personally find that funny since non-blacks are always saying that us black people need to "help ourselves" and when we do, they have a problem with it and then say we need to help them too or are being racist. I find it funny and I usually ignore them because they are ridiculous IMO.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
The point is that if you and others are so sick of seeing "black" this and "black" that then find a way to give Black Americans back their original cultures which were literally beaten out of them. Then like the Asians identify by ethnicity/nationality, then so will they. Until then, stop whining.

Your kind of ignorance, acting like you don't know history, is why they have a black caucus...
On this, wanted to note I understand what you re getting at about people being sick of seeing "black" things/organizations/people(lol) but black Americans do not have a particular original culture since most of us are a mish-mash of various African cultures and European and even some indigenous. That is why we are different as black people from others in the diaspora in regards to culture.

On the title of this thread and the mentioning of Asians/Hispanics, it's been noted that there already is an Asian caucus and an Hispanic caucus so the OP is ignorant on what sort of caucuses are a part of our Congress since he/she was unsure on if we should "add" them. They are already there. On "white" caucuses, there are also ones that focus on whites depending on geographic region and/or ethnicity. But these sorts of folks around here, as you noted, like to focus on black people and be ignorant about their own congressional caucuses. If they've been on this forum for a while, they already know that there are other caucuses and they just want to complain about blacks and wallow in their psychological issues IMO. They need to see a therapist and figure out why they are so focused on black people lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies