Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 11:14 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,144,272 times

Advertisements

The title speaks for itself but opine as you like or not.

I agree with the decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 11:23 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,580,890 times
terrible decision, you dont get to erase history you dont like.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:23 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,911,821 times
Private property. Who cares ?

Old 08-19-2017, 11:38 AM

716 posts, read 391,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Private property. Who cares ?
The University cares and good for them.

I can't help comment on this bizarre idea that moving or taking down monuments is erasing our history. Who believes that southern sympathizers who are always crowing about how proud they are of their disgusting heritage, would ever let us forget?!?

Old 08-19-2017, 11:44 AM

29,675 posts, read 24,720,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
The University cares and good for them.

I can't help comment on this bizarre idea that moving or taking down monuments is erasing our history. Who believes that southern sympathizers who are always crowing about how proud they are of their disgusting heritage, would ever let us forget?!?
There were slaves, slave owners, and slave traders in the north. Does the history of the north also disgust you?

I am proud of the United States, and how far we have come as a nation. I am not ashamed of our history. The fact is, slavery was part of the history of the America's. Brazil was one of the largest consumers of slaves, and the institution of slavery lasted longer there than it did in the USA. We did the right thing by freeing the slaves, and nothing can take that away.

I find it silly that so many want to erase history, instead of learning from it.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:49 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,144,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
terrible decision, you dont get to erase history you dont like.
You may like the history Duke didn't, so it's gone. Many more to go, but if you want to see this stuff, go to a museum.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:53 AM

716 posts, read 391,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
There were slaves, slave owners, and slave traders in the north. Does the history of the north also disgust you?

I am proud of the United States, and how far we have come as a nation. I am not ashamed of our history. The fact is, slavery was part of the history of the America's. Brazil was one of the largest consumers of slaves, and the institution of slavery lasted longer there than it did in the USA. We did the right thing by freeing the slaves, and nothing can take that away.

I find it silly that so many want to erase history, instead of learning from it.
Slavers disgust me north, south east or west. FYI, you don't learn history by looking at memorials, you learn by reading history books and it's the Nazis who burn books.

I find it silly that so many can't understand the difference between remembering our history and commemorating the crimes of American slavers...

Old 08-19-2017, 11:55 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,861,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
The title speaks for itself but opine as you like or not.

I agree with the decision!
General Less was a respected Office in the Union Army and the CSA. He was working with President Johnson to rebuild the South after the War.

In all Gen. Lee was respected on Both sides during the War and had the Respect of the American People in restoring the Union.

Liberals have such narrow thinking.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:56 AM

29,675 posts, read 24,720,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
Slavers disgust me north, south east or west. FYI, you don't learn history by looking at memorials, you learn by reading history books and it's the Nazis who burn books.

I find it silly that so many can't understand the difference between remembering our history and commemorating the crimes of American slavers...
Our founding fathers were criminals. I am not ashamed of the American revolution. Are you ashamed of George Washington and co? Do you think we should have bowed to the demands of the king of England? Should we spit on their names and history because many of those founding fathers were slave owners?

Old 08-19-2017, 12:00 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,832,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
You may like the history Duke didn't, so it's gone. Many more to go, but if you want to see this stuff, go to a museum.
The statue is gone. The history still exists...for now.

It will soon be erased also like that of the Ingsoc and the communists...and flushed down the memory hole.

Nothing to see here...move along. Everything is OK. Neither the old nor the young have anything to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies