Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 09:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The idea of a federal voter registration card where everybody must constantly update their current address and information to the federal government is absolutely anathema to me..
I didn't say that, I said national standards. If everyone is on the same page the states can handle this themselves. If you move to PA you have 30 days to surrender your ID for the state you moved from and get a PA ID. I don't know what they do with the ID afterwards but I'd assume at the very least they let the state you came from know it was surrendered. They already probably doing this to some degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 09:47 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
I don't have a problem with the voter id requirements BUT I have a problem of purposely making it so some folks can't get the ID and can't vote -- after being in this country all their lives, after having had the opportunity to vote.

Many older Americans born don't have the appropriate documents. Their proof is not acceptable in those states that choose to control who can vote by moving district boundaries, making voter id laws too strict.

That's the game they play.

The federal govt. should provide assistance to Americans who may not have the proper documentation. Not just keep having these people sent on wild goose chases.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:51 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,557 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When someone or an organization is caught registering hundreds or thousands of fraudulent registrations the argument you or someone else will put forth is that it's just registration fraud.
The only example I have ever seen of this is that case out of Indiana, And they did it because the people doing the registration were paid employees and they were paid by the number of registration forms they turned in.

Thats a horrible example to use on your part.

Quote:
There is many issues, for example Democratic strongholds in Philly because of rules for the poll workers there is often no one available from the Republican party so everyone at the polling place is a Democrat... Coincidentally they also have some the highest rates of voter participation. They wanted to change the rule to insure fairness but of course that was labeled voter intimidation.

I would suggest standards for voter ID nationally, you can get rid of the achaic registration sytem entirely. There is all kinds of opportunities with Voter ID, instant registration, automatic registration when you move etc. The one small issue is dealing with people that moved very recently and haven't updated their ID yet, for them they would have to register like you do now.

That isnt true . This article specifically talks about turn out in Philadelphia

and just in case you were wondering where the info came from

Quote:
The Center for Political Participation at Allegheny College promotes interest and involvement in democratic life. The Voter Turnout Archive is a pilot project to calculate voter turnout statistics at the municipality or township level for all Pennsylvania counties. We are funded by a grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development.
Cities lead the nation in many ways, but not in voter turnout | TheHill

https://catalog.data.gov/dataset?met...=0&q=Elections

Turnout and Returns - Elections Data - Research Guide - Guides at Penn Libraries

Yea, Philadelphia's turnout sucks. If it had actually voted equally to the deep red areas of the State , Hillary Clinton would have won by 200,000 (assuming the same proportion of voters)

Old 08-19-2017, 09:53 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
I didn't say that, I said national standards. If everyone is on the same page the states can handle this themselves. If you move to PA you have 30 days to surrender your ID for the state you moved from and get a PA ID. I don't know what they do with the ID afterwards but I'd assume at the very least they let the state you came from know it was surrendered. They already probably doing this to some degree.
I can accept that. I do agree the states need to overhaul and upgrade their voting systems. But under no circumstances should the states ever secede any control of their voting system to the federal government.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:05 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
"At each polling location across Pennsylvania, each party is allowed to designate three watchers and each statewide candidate — in this case, usually presidential candidates — is allowed to designate two watchers, according to Pa. Dept. of State spokeswoman Wanda Murren. However, only one watcher per candidate and one watcher per party are allowed inside a polling location at a time."
Correct but they have to live in that district, if no one from the Republican is available a Democrat is assigned to the duty. In these democrat strongholds in Philly where 99.999% of registered voters are Democrats there is no one available. The fox is gurading the henhouse.

Quote:
Voter ID wouldn't help register people when they move, I'm not quite sure why you think it would.
You have 30 days where I live to change your ID. Registration is already implemented at the licensing center. If you have the national standards as I suggested you would have you old registration purged when you obtained the new ID.

Quote:
And every 'voter ID law' that I have seen has been cleverly crafted to negatively impact the poor, the elderly and people who are not likely to have a driver's license.
My Grandmother pays for an ID as do many elderly and low income people. That group would get a free ID and far outnumber those that do not hold an ID now that may incur some expense in obtaining an ID.

Quote:
It's amazing that Republican Politicians keep openly admitting that the reason for voter ID is to keep democrats from being able to vote, but Republican voters keep insisting there is nothing nefarious about it..quite a disconnect there.
When a Democrat suggests voter ID will hurt the Democrats does that imply it's because of voter fraud?

Old 08-19-2017, 10:10 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Correct but they have to live in that district, if no one from the Republican is available a Democrat is assigned to the duty. In these democrat strongholds in Philly where 99.999% of registered voters are Democrats there is no one available. The fox is gurading the henhouse.

You have 30 days where I live to change your ID. Registration is already implemented at the licensing center. If you have the national standards as I suggested you would have you old registration purged when you obtained the new ID.

My Grandmother pays for an ID as do many elderly and low income people. That group would get a free ID and far outnumber those that do not hold an ID now that may incur some expense in obtaining an ID.

When a Democrat suggests voter ID will hurt the Democrats does that imply it's because of voter fraud?
Voter ID vary from state to state and I think some states are fair with their requirements, others not so much.

Poor, usually black, elderly are the biggest group that have difficult getting ID but that extends to other older ethnic groups. Add to that their inability to travel to govt. offices, lining up for hours, etc. to get all the papers, documents.It is stacked up against them.

Not sure if it favors Democrats or Republicans. Doesn't really matter. While make sure the voter lists is important -- making sure everyone can exercise their right to vote is even more important.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:59 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
"At each polling location across Pennsylvania, each party is allowed to designate three watchers and each statewide candidate — in this case, usually presidential candidates — is allowed to designate two watchers, according to Pa. Dept. of State spokeswoman Wanda Murren. However, only one watcher per candidate and one watcher per party are allowed inside a polling location at a time." https://billypenn.com/2016/10/10/no-...likely-anyway/

Voter ID wouldn't help register people when they move, I'm not quite sure why you think it would. And every 'voter ID law' that I have seen has been cleverly crafted to negatively impact the poor, the elderly and people who are not likely to have a driver's license. It's amazing that Republican Politicians keep openly admitting that the reason for voter ID is to keep democrats from being able to vote, but Republican voters keep insisting there is nothing nefarious about it..quite a disconnect there. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9b5859fb1457
most fraud is based on people who shouldn't be voting (in that particular district) and MULTIPLE voting (district hopping)

this includes COLLEGE STUDENTS

the reason a college id would not be is it is a TEMPORARY id...and does not establish RESIDENCE

why shouldn't everyone have a photo id to prove who you are and where you reside....after all we vote for representatives of a PETICULAR district

but what most are not getting is that its not just about legal/illegal citizen status.....

this whole issue is about you showing WHO you are, and WHERE you reside.....especially the residency since we are a representative republic

do you think Nancy Pelosi who represents San Fran would want a person from Oakland voting in her district??? especially if he/she is voting against her???

that's the whole issue with the college votes and colleg id's too..

a COLLEGE ID is a valid ID of WHOM your are...but NOT a valid id of RESIDENCY.

Quote:
example...Minnesota

Part 2. Classification as State Residents. Students who meet one or more of the following conditions on the date they apply for admission to a state college or university shall be classified as residents of Minnesota.

A. Students who resided in the state for at least one calendar year immediately prior to applying for admission, or dependent students who have a parent or legal guardian residing in Minnesota on the date the students apply.

B. Minnesota residents who can demonstrate that they were temporarily absent from the state without establishing residency elsewhere.

C. Persons who moved to the state for employment purposes and, before moving and before applying for admission to a public postsecondary institution, accepted a full-time job in the state, or students who are spouses or dependents of such persons.
Minnesota State Statutes 135A.031, subd. 2
Procedure 2.2.1 - State Residency

so unless you LIVED there for ONE year PRIOR to going to school, or moved there for EMPLOYMENT prior to attending school...you were NOT a resident in the eyes of the state
so OK, you are a NEW YORKER going to MN. for school...you have a MN college ID.....you are NOT a resident of MN...your VOTING DISTRICT is still in your county in NEW YORK

if you attended college in MN..but you were an NY resident until you OFFICIALLY MOVE..that is why MOST states require you to get a new license within 30-90 days of you moving there....MN REQUIRES you to bring in your other state license and take a written and vision test within 90 days of you MOVING to the state...NC is that way too......so a NY id (or license) was ILLEGAL if you WANT to identify yourself as a MN resident...to vote in the MN elections (even the national elections)...but MN doesnt qualify you (as a student) to be a resident....

that's the whole issue with the college votes and college id's too..

a COLLEGE ID is a valid ID of WHOM your are...but NOT a valid id of RESIDENCY, but YOUR state CCP does show your RESIDENCY, and your photo

a RESIDENT NEW YORKER attending TEXAS a+m is still a resident of NEW YORK and should vote in NEW YORK unless they CHANGE their RESIDENCY to Texas.....that's why absentee votes exist

whats UNFAIR about showing that you "john doe' lives in district 99 when you are voting for a representative of district 99........??????

actually its a good idea

it says you CAN vote if you(OR your parent) establishes residency(in your NEW LOCATION of your college)..therefore invalidating your PREVIOUS residency...

as to what some have and dont have (individual states), and when they purge their rolls,,, we NEED a NATIONAL STANDARD...I believe there should not be state drivers licenses only a USA drivers/nondrivers id..

Old 08-19-2017, 11:01 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Voter ID vary from state to state and I think some states are fair with their requirements, others not so much.

Poor, usually black, elderly are the biggest group that have difficult getting ID but that extends to other older ethnic groups. Add to that their inability to travel to govt. offices, lining up for hours, etc. to get all the papers, documents.It is stacked up against them.

Not sure if it favors Democrats or Republicans. Doesn't really matter. While make sure the voter lists is important -- making sure everyone can exercise their right to vote is even more important.
Poor, usually black, elderly are the biggest group that have difficult getting ID ......BS

While make sure the voter lists is important -- making sure everyone can exercise their right to vote is even more important...................yes in THEIR DISTRICT

Old 08-19-2017, 11:13 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
The poll watchers do not have to be from the precinct, anyone in the county can be named, I really doubt if there are counties in Pennsylvania that have zero Republicans http://www.dos.pa.gov/VotingElection...AY%2010-16.pdf
Quote:
My Grandmother didn't have a birth certificate, she was born at home in France. She didn't drive so she never had a driver's license. My great aunt's name was spelled wrong on her birth certificate. In some states with Voter ID they would not have been able to vote. Students should be able to vote in the state they are residing in but in most states with voter ID they wouldn't be able to because college ID's are not an accepted form of identification.

And here's a question for you, why do people worry so much about in person voting when the real source of voter fraud is absentee ballots?
Quote:
That's kind of like saying Republican oppose background checks for buying weapons or ammunition because they are afraid they won't get a gun if their criminal history is scrutinized.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:00 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
most fraud is based on people who shouldn't be voting (in that particular district) and MULTIPLE voting (district hopping)
No, actually there is almost no in person voter fraud
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ec70319c48ac

Absentee ballots are the largest source of voter fraud:
The Consequences of Absentee Election Month | SFPPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies