Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 02:25 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I did not read it the first time thru until I saw your post. I agree, the article is a well written description of the struggle in our nation to deal with the racial issues that have been paramount in forming our country.
While the current events in Charlottesville and Durham seem to have brought some harsh times to us, remember, things have been much worse over the centuries in other lands like France, England, Cambodia, China, Turkey, Rwanda, . . . and so on. We tend to kill a lot less often in the struggle.
The author describes the struggles and inequality very well, I think.
Kudos to you for going back and reading it with an open mind.

I wish more people would get off the merry-go-round of fake outrage about fake outrage to begin with - but when something is misinterpreted, it only adds to the pile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 03:33 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Yeah never criticize or misinterpret a liberal. But when a conservative speaks just call it white supremacy.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:59 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This Harvard Law School professor wants you to know that everywhere the eclipse goes is tied to racism in some way. Even the eclipse itself is racist for crossing land mostly inhabited by white people who unfairly benefit from the electoral college system. It will cross the white part of St. Louis, not the black area, and go directly over the hometown of white rap appropriator Eminem.
I kid you not.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...e-race/537318/

The author herself is about as white as they come:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/pictures/11653.jpg
Just when I think the Left has said the stupidest thing possible, they say something like this and prove me wrong.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:33 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Oh, here we go! Blame the moon.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:26 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
I read the entire essay and was left wondering what her point was. Blacks are only 13% of the population and live predominantly in large cities and the deep south. Of course most geographic areas have few blacks. Does the author expect every community and State to have the exact same demographics? Is she suggesting blacks aren't free to live where they choose? Whatever her point was she was grasping at straws using the symbolism of the eclipse.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I read the entire essay and was left wondering what her point was. Blacks are only 13% of the population and live predominantly in large cities and the deep south. Of course most geographic areas have few blacks. Does the author expect every community and State to have the exact same demographics? Is she suggesting blacks aren't free to live where they choose? Whatever her point was she was grasping at straws using the symbolism of the eclipse.
She won the Absurdity of the day ...... maybe she just wanted to win a contest.
It's not easy to beat a Trojan horse in California.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:26 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I finally broke down and read this absurdity after the Trojan Mascot absurdity - we have to decide who wins the contest for the most ridiculous "racist" absurdity.

The Law Professor is the winner - "Presumably, this is not explained by the implicit bias of the solar system."

I vaguely remember when The Atlantic wasn't a shrieking hive of retardation. It was in the 1990s. Ok, maybe the first half of the Bush administration, but that's probably when they totally devolved.

All you've got left is Conor Friederdorf for a quasi-sane take on things. Everyone else is a one-trick-SJW-pony.
The are all a joke and a "one trick pony" isn't even a very good joke.
The Atlantic, New Yorker and Harper's used to be intelligent magazines.

Then they devolved into partisan political hackery.

I can't think of a major circulation magazine out there that isn't stupid.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The point flew over your head at a most amazing speed.
Typical SJW -- doesn't understand mockery, irony or humor.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:35 AM

She says the shadow caused by eclipse starts off the coast of Oregon.

But the map I saw shows it starting in northwest Washington.

People keep saying that she is using a "literary device".

They need to read some great literature -- which doesn't resort to cheap manipulative ploys more appropriate for Hollywood blockbusters and advertising.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:45 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Typical SJW -- doesn't understand mockery, irony or humor.
If that's humor, you may want to keep your day job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies