Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 11:44 PM

46,956 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Those recently in the news for being "deplatformed" violated the terms of service they agreed to. I don't think utility contracts have such clauses.
They pretty much can't. Regulated utilities have to provide services to anyone willing to pay their prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
If you hate these people, why not let them go?
Fine by me. Where are you going? Oh - but that's the nub, isn't it? All the cool places are already taken, and may even be filled with people who aren't going to just submit to the idea of white supremecy.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:48 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
They pretty much can't. Regulated utilities have to provide services to anyone willing to pay their prices.
Then I suppose this is some kind of paranormal event. Something not actually happening, but appearing to be happening for some people who see strange things in the shadows.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:02 AM

If you want to be able to force companies to change their TOS in order to promote free speech - as in I can say whatever I want on a private system that YOU created and financed - then I guess that means we are going to a system of open enrollment to any group or club - public or private.

If this is the case, where can I and 135 million of my pals sign up to your supremacist groups? We'd like to expand your group, raid the treasury, have an all-invited party and bar-b-que, and then change the stated goals, traditions, name, and general purpose of those groups.

It will be swell!

Old 08-20-2017, 12:11 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You don't get to be a weekend Nazi. If you wave a flag that embodies the idea of gassing Jews on Sunday, decent people can (and hopefully will) give you a cold shoulder the rest of the week. That sort of thing can cause friction in the workplace. As you may recall, America spent quite a bit of life and treasure settling the entire "should we kill Jews for being Jews?" question.
The laws in America grant protections to certain groups. A company can't fire a person for his religious beliefs. Nazism isn't a religious belief, but what if there was a religion that held the same views? There are many religions that are at odds with popular sentiment. And that begs the question: why are some set of beliefs held to a higher standard than other sets of beliefs? If you believe one thing and I believe the opposite, should my point of view be protected because I claim that my belief comes from a religion while your beliefs aren't?

Old 08-20-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The laws in America grant protections to certain groups. A company can't fire a person for his religious beliefs.
Correct. Seems a bit silly to me, but there we have it.

Quote:
Nazism isn't a religious belief
Problem solved, then.

Some beliefs are so out there, they carry implications. If you support the regime that deliberately killed six million Jews, you hold no right to be treated with courtesy by Jews - or by non-Jews who hold dear the principle that, y'know, herding people into gas chambers is despicable and decent people can't support that.

And if that makes you unemployable, well - too bad, so sad.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Then I suppose this is some kind of paranormal event. Something not actually happening, but appearing to be happening for some people who see strange things in the shadows.
It IS kinda interesting to see who it is who are suddenly clamoring for government to intervene with the invisible hand of the market, though.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The laws in America grant protections to certain groups. A company can't fire a person for his religious beliefs. Nazism isn't a religious belief, but what if there was a religion that held the same views? There are many religions that are at odds with popular sentiment. And that begs the question: why are some set of beliefs held to a higher standard than other sets of beliefs? If you believe one thing and I believe the opposite, should my point of view be protected because I claim that my belief comes from a religion while your beliefs aren't?
Not really, they can fire you for religious reasons - but simply stay mum about it... At-Will Employment

Whether you can be fired for no reason, when you did nothing wrong, depends on your employment status and specifically on whether you are an at-will employee. In most of the United States, employees are generally considered “at will” employees. At-will means that you or your employer can terminate your job on a moment's notice for any reason, whether good, bad, indifferent or for no reason at all. The law in most states presumes that an employee is at-will unless the employee can prove otherwise. This means that unless the termination violates federal or state law, company policies, or an implied contract, there is very little that an at-will employee can do to protest a termination without a reason.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:56 AM

3,070 posts, read 1,682,055 times
My job prior to retirement was utility billing in a very liberal city, and aside from being an absurd idea, I can assure you without hesitation that there is NO way that any water district or city would consider not providing services ~ the greed for over-charged rates is too great to pass up.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:42 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
My job prior to retirement was utility billing in a very liberal city, and aside from being an absurd idea, I can assure you without hesitation that there is NO way that any water district or city would consider not providing services ~ the greed for over-charged rates is too great to pass up.
However, if you violate their Terms of Service, i.e. don't pay your bill, they will cut you off in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies