Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is media working to divide the nation and promote hate?
Yes 58 67.44%
No 28 32.56%
Unsure 0 0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 12:50 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Ooh, I like her. Common sense. I know most people know this in their hearts, but the media does gen up some fear in people. You will notice it more if you stop watching the news for a week. Suddenly you're happy and completely ignorant of the latest outrage. Try it sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 12:51 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,389,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
That sounds like Trump.
It may, but it is also the MSM nowadays. And if you don't agree you are either not watching the news or you prefer not to believe the truth. This particular thread is about the media -- not Trump.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:47 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
For the weak-minded, CNN news works great for those who believe that garbage.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:55 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times
MSM has an enemy was a concept invented by Patrick Caddell who is part of Robert Mercer's group.

Don't believe me?

When did Trump come out with his speech about media being the enemy?

Was it just chance it was the same day he met with Caddell?

People it is time to open your eyes.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:37 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
The media can and do throw fuel on the fire........but that fire has been going-on for a LONG time.

Human-nature is, many times, to be in conflict. Throw-in the huge differences amount the various segments in the USA, yeah, things will only get worse.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:01 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Does anyone have any doubt that the US media/propaganda machine is behind most of the division and rising hate in America? I think they have been largely to blame for dividing the people up, then pitting them against one another. They do this because it's incredibly profitable for certain people. It may also boost ratings for themselves. It's also entertaining for some sick minded people.

I'm all for free speech, and do not believe in media censorship. I do think it's the responsibility of the people to do what is best for themselves and their country. I do my part by ignoring the lame stream media for the most part.

The media of today is a monster compared to media of 30 years ago. Previous generations would be disgusted with what passes for media today. All integrity has been lost, IMHO.
no not at all but with right wingers flooding boards with polls like this it is clear the right wants to divide and to spread both fear and hate.

lucky we out number you 10 to 1. the "white power " folk are bringing the moderate right (majority of the right ) and left closer together. great to see you guys try so hard and yet fail harder than ever

Old 08-20-2017, 08:45 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
Russia/Bannon/Breitbart is currently playing that game better than anyone else. The social media age made us more vulnerable to this kind of division, and it's pretty clear who directly exploited and benefited from that.

The echo chamber thing that Facebook's algorithm creates is one thing, and it's unfortunate- but it's quite another when you have people like Bannon and Mercer weaponizing analytics for specific aims. Mind you, they didn't just attack Hillary from the right, but from the left too. We know that Russian bots were blending themselves in with Bernie supporters too. The goal was to divide the left, and while we'll never know just how much their influence played a role- they got exactly the end result they were looking for.

I'm not saying this all to complain about it-- we just have to educate ourselves and learn from it. We were blindsided in 2016, but Putin won't have the element of surprise on his side next time. Though it is still quite disturbing how many Republican voters think Russia is our friend now. If that's not the sign of a successful counter-intelligence operation, I don't know what is.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:49 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Trump supporters are behind the division and rising hate in America. These are the same people who were behind dividing this country for 8 years under Pres. Obama.

Quit blaming the media for everything like your boy Trump does.
^^^^^^^^^ This

Old 08-20-2017, 08:55 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any doubt that the US media/propaganda machine is behind most of the division and rising hate in America? I think they have been largely to blame for dividing the people up, then pitting them against one another. They do this because it's incredibly profitable for certain people. It may also boost ratings for themselves. It's also entertaining for some sick minded people.

I'm all for free speech, and do not believe in media censorship. I do think it's the responsibility of the people to do what is best for themselves and their country. I do my part by ignoring the lame stream media for the most part.

The media of today is a monster compared to media of 30 years ago. Previous generations would be disgusted with what passes for media today. All integrity has been lost, IMHO.
They're not the cause, but they're doing what they can to aid and abet.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:57 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
Quote:

I agree. They are giving two very small, extremists groups all the headlines and throwing gasoline on a fire and (sorry for the pun) blowing it all out of proportion. Tiny minorities run amuck getting all of the attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies