Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 01:34 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I never understood the left on this matter. They refuse to send their children to public schools because they are so bad, yet they fight school choice tooth, and nail.

It seems like the old democratic party way, keeping minorities oppressed, all because teacher's unions can dominate local, and state elections, and get democrats elected.
I don't think it's about keeping anyone oppressed. It's just hypocrisy at it's finest. The same folk screaming about diversity are uncomfortable when it's diverse because they aren't really about that life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 03:05 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Aren't some of the charter schools about picking the top students, transporting them in and then brag about high test scores?
Dunno, why don't you show me which ones do that?

I personally know of one whose mission is to get underprivileged kids into college.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:11 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
Quote:
I never understood the left on this matter. They refuse to send their children to public schools because they are so bad, yet they fight school choice tooth, and nail.

It seems like the old democratic party way, keeping minorities oppressed, all because teacher's unions can dominate local, and state elections, and get democrats elected.
People on the left refuse to send their kids to public schools?

Old 08-21-2017, 06:12 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
All the liberals that I know that talk about diversity, live in the most white, and middle class neighborhoods in the city. Seriously, some of these neighborhoods are 98% white.
Just like the global warming hypocrites who drive diesel pickups on the weekends.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:32 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
No. A 99% white school in West Virginia is not racially diverse simply because there are no black people in West Virginia.
I lived in WV and has a friend who was 90 years old. This was in 1970. He told me that one black person came to the valley 50 years before and the accused him of rape and chased him out of town...and that was it.

Point - there is a REASON there are no black people in WV.

By the same token, the reason for large black populations in the North is very simple - they RAN as fast as they could away from lynchings, lack of basic rights and segregation in the South.

Simplifying these discussions is difficult.

Surely all you students of history know what happened when the SCOTUS and other courts integrated parks, schools and other public places in Birmingham? Simple - the city just closed ALL the parks, pool, etc. - all throughout the south, the white folks built private schools to send their children to, while then populating the school boards so they could rip as much money as possible away from the public school (which were then black).

We can't rewrite history and we are still living it. In NYC, Harlem is getting to be a really desireable neighborhood but most white people I know can't afford it so they moved to Brooklyn (very diverse).

All the cities like Chicago have ALWAYS had segregation among ALL the various immigrants and economic groups. Italians lived in Italian neighborhoods, etc. etc.

FYI, my wife lived in Philly and went to a high school that was 95% black. Her middle and elementary schools were about 50/50. So schools there were integrated a LONG time ago (we are over 60 now).

Pittsburgh? I know a little about it as my son and daughter and grandson live there. Pittsburgh, like Detroit and many other industrial cities, was also populated by various ethnic groups...either right off the boat or from the SOUTH. It's a town made of of dozens of little villages - and, as with those other places, people of one nationality tended to live in their "little polands" or whatever.

In a lot of ways, Pittsburgh is more the south than the north. That is, it has more in common with WV and some of industrial Ohio (again, populated mostly from south, WV, etc.

W. Penna. is ANYTHING but liberal however the influence of the colleges in Pitt and young people moving in for the low cost housing is upping the average IQ.

As to "where to live" - the world doesn't get fixed in a day....and, people move at various points in their life. My son currently lives in a diverse area. But since they now have a child the area is pretty tight....not a lot of room. They look forward to moving further out and having a bigger lawn and a dog and all of that - and, chances are, where they move may be less diverse (due mostly to economics). We gave our kids a BIG head start so they will naturally be far ahead in terms of everything from education to savings to income.

As usual, the basic truths get hinted at but stay unsaid by most. The simple fact is that people desire to live in a safe area and in the USA, low economic activity and crime tend to go together. A very few people are really "pioneers" and will move into Detroit to rebuild a house and stuff like that. But those with good jobs tied to a location are going to seek out a nice neighborhood with good schools.

That's what we did...and we lived there for 26 years and it wasn't very diverse.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:53 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
You mean she didn't need government force to get what she wanted? She just moved? Well I'll be.
I think they moved here for work. I'm pretty sure they weren't very excited at the prospect, but have grown to love it because it's so different from where they're from. They still love Pittsburgh, but they feel their kids get opportunities here that they wouldn't have there.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:05 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Aren't some of the charter schools about picking the top students, transporting them in and then brag about high test scores?
Not really. The picks are often done by lottery, but already you are picking from a crop of kids whose parents care about their education and took the time to get their kids into the running. Half the battle is won right there.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:12 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What about Chicago, the much more densely populated New England states, etc.?

The only excuse white liberals have there is that they don't want to integrate with minorities. The don't want you or people like you around. Deal with it.

1. Lets be clear, your list says the least segregated area of the Country is the West(California, Oregon, Washington). That alone destroys your argument.

2. You assume racism/hypocrisy based solely on whether people send their kids to public or private school, does that not mean in your argument that anyone who sends child to private school or home schools is racist ?

3. Northern cities are no more segregated than Southern towns, but population density means that entire towns go to school together in the South, Where as in the North , there are enough people in a community to have community based schools

Old 08-22-2017, 07:47 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I live here and I'm not going to pretend for a second that Boston is some Utopian model of diversity. My office is diverse (as a white male, I'm in the minority- my boss is a woman of color, and so is her boss. My floor has more men and women of color than white men and women, and more LGBTQ folks than heterosexual), and we talk about the area's flaws re: diversity on a regular basis. Boston is still fairly segregated (especially when you include the suburbs), and racism exists in this city quite a bit (even if it's a bit more subtle than it used to be).

But parents in the South End (very expensive neighborhood, by the way) who choose to send their kids to a private school do so because the school performs better than public schools in the city. Period. Boston Public Schools perform worse than the state average, and the best public schools in the city are extremely competitive to get into. So for a family living in the South End (chances are that they have money), going private is about giving their child the best opportunity to succeed and nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies