Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2017, 02:58 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Sounds like a xenophobe to me.
Importing people from unknown foreign origins, without a care if they come with malice in their hearts for you, your culture, or your very way of life, is ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 03:17 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
If it makes you feel better about your point, be my guest. Except Saint Ronnie and Mr Trump are not related. You are not a regular Canadian poster on things U.S.; politics, social issues and such, so we can forgive you because you haven't spent years condemning, commentating on and in general being boorish as to our internal issues.

I found it fascinating that Canada's leader would jab at Mr Trump and then seemingly backtrack 7 or 8 months later. As I read more articles about the various immigration issues Canada is dealing with, I thought, Those folks are having to deal with, in a nascent form, the same issues we have not dealt with.

Canada is not sacrosanct, nor isolated and insulated from the problems of the world. It remains to be seen how she will handle it
Doesn't matter. Any discussion regarding Canadian politics or current events, coming from someone who can't get the PM's name correct, lessens their impact and makes me question their knowledge about Canada.

That's all.

Your idea that Trudeau is backtracking is incorrect. Chevy put it quite nicely. You are hanging on to semantics.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:21 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Got 'em in a bunch, huh? ALL CAPs generally means out of control emotion, not reasoned discussion, as does accusations. Both pretty well sum up your response, disappointingly.

It does not appear you really read much of the thread. Or, you would have seen myself and others, accepting we have a mess, blaming our leaders for allowing the situation to develop to the stage it has. Pointing out the change in government leadership as a result. Will it change things? Maybe, maybe not. Acting like a victim? Pfft.

'The U.S.' stupidity now.' I don't know if it has been stupidity for the many years. But, shutting the door now and 'encouraging' the illegals to move on now is hardly stupid. Admittedly, the shutting of the door and the encouragement are mainly through President Trump's tweets and a few initial enforcement efforts. There is a marked downturn in illegal crossings into the U.S., but also voluntary 'deportations'.

There is something call illusory superiority and you have engaged in it to the nth. Kind of smug, don't you think? This attitude by our northern cousins is interesting though. Best of luck in dealing with the unregulated flow across a very long border.

But, then maybe we should be looking North and not South to our source of illegals.

Canadian Immigrants Lead World In Illegal U.S. Visa Overstays, According To First-Ever DHS Estimates

Now that Canada is no longer buffered by U.S. inaction though, you have a problem whether you recognize or accept it. Will your government deal with it?

'Ghost' immigration consultants on Canadian Govt's radar
...and the largest group of illegals working in Canada come from??? That's right, the US.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:34 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Got 'em in a bunch, huh? ALL CAPs generally means out of control emotion, not reasoned discussion, as does accusations. Both pretty well sum up your response, disappointingly.

It does not appear you really read much of the thread. Or, you would have seen myself and others, accepting we have a mess, blaming our leaders for allowing the situation to develop to the stage it has. Pointing out the change in government leadership as a result. Will it change things? Maybe, maybe not. Acting like a victim? Pfft.

'The U.S.' stupidity now.' I don't know if it has been stupidity for the many years. But, shutting the door now and 'encouraging' the illegals to move on now is hardly stupid. Admittedly, the shutting of the door and the encouragement are mainly through President Trump's tweets and a few initial enforcement efforts. There is a marked downturn in illegal crossings into the U.S., but also voluntary 'deportations'.

There is something call illusory superiority and you have engaged in it to the nth. Kind of smug, don't you think? This attitude by our northern cousins is interesting though. Best of luck in dealing with the unregulated flow across a very long border.

But, then maybe we should be looking North and not South to our source of illegals.

Canadian Immigrants Lead World In Illegal U.S. Visa Overstays, According To First-Ever DHS Estimates

Now that Canada is no longer buffered by U.S. inaction though, you have a problem whether you recognize or accept it. Will your government deal with it?

'Ghost' immigration consultants on Canadian Govt's radar
Reading's not one my failings as assimilating and elucidating facts seems to be one of yours.

Wasn't me suggesting with the initial post that "high hatted' gloat about Canada reaping what it sowed while claiming to be just pointing out cheap political opportunism.

What Canada sowed was restricting illegals at every opportunity and also keeping track of them in detention centers while the U.S. cannot even tell you if they've got 12 million or 30 million of them cleaning their pools and picking their noses for them.

Buffered by American inaction? Another false premise.....threatened by it is more accurate. You're still attempting to erect strawmen by conflating refugees crossing illegally into Canada from the U.S. and being detained with illegals being invited to enter the U.S.

Gotta love how you're quick with the "smug" and "illusory superiority" accusations with your first post and those following, being the very epitome of the well known American "smugness" and "illusory superiority".

Old 08-25-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Importing people from unknown foreign origins, without a care if they come with malice in their hearts for you, your culture, or your very way of life, is ignorance.
So you were selective from which of the perhaps thirty million illegals you encouraged to enter for decades?

Fifteen of the 19 9/11'ers were Saudi's in the U.S. on legal visitor visas. They're still among the group of oil-rich Wahabbi's Trump says are fine for entry.

Stop with the patronizing condescension. You do not occupy the high ground..

Old 08-25-2017, 03:45 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
You confuse an American's who do not want their country overrun with American leadership. I'll leave you be as it is clear emotions are taking over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Reading's not one my failings as assimilating and elucidating facts seems to be one of yours.

Wasn't me suggesting with the initial post that "high hatted' gloat about Canada reaping what it sowed while claiming to be just pointing out cheap political opportunism.

What Canada sowed was restricting illegals at every opportunity and also keeping track of them in detention centers while the U.S. cannot even tell you if they've got 12 million or 30 million of them cleaning their pools and picking their noses for them.

Buffered by American inaction? Another false premise.....threatened by it is more accurate. You're still attempting to erect strawmen by conflating refugees crossing illegally into Canada from the U.S. and being detained with illegals being invited to enter the U.S.

Gotta love how you're quick with the "smug" and "illusory superiority" accusations with your first post and those following, being the very epitome of the well known American "smugness" and "illusory superiority".

Old 08-25-2017, 03:48 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
As I said, you can have your point. But, keep feeling good about yourself. Think the horse is pretty dead.
Funny, Trudeau backtracking is from Canadian immigration activists, so you will have to talk to them about it. Widely reported, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Doesn't matter. Any discussion regarding Canadian politics or current events, coming from someone who can't get the PM's name correct, lessens their impact and makes me question their knowledge about Canada.

That's all.

Your idea that Trudeau is backtracking is incorrect. Chevy put it quite nicely. You are hanging on to semantics.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:52 PM

Haar!

Whatever.

With all of your quoting, everybody got to read my posts at least twice.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:23 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Easy. There will develop communities of former refugees/immigrants who are either in Canada on extended visas and or have attained citizenship, into which those who cannot qualify for either will be folded into. Some may be family, some may be 'just like us', but it will happen without thorough assimilation. Employers will find ways to pay those who disappear off the books. ......

I think that is not a practical or plausible solution for an illegal immigrant for any length of time. In Canada ethnic communities stick out like sore thumbs. It's illegal to harbour illegal immigrants so any former refugees/immigrants who harbour illegal immigrants risk being deported - even if they have attained citizenship they can have their citizenship revoked and be deported. Legitimate employers who hire illegal immigrants risk losing their business licenses, hefty fines and jail time and they gain a permanent criminal record. And if that employer happens to also be a new immigrant then they are at risk of being deported too.

The illegal immigrant not being in the system and trying to disappear into the fabric of Canada lives like a fugitive for the rest of their life. Friends and family who know the risks to their own personal selves and still willingly harbour illegals must be prepared to support them in all ways. Food, shelter, clothing, health care, social life, illegal employment connections.

The illegal immigrant can't get married, can't have children, can't own a home or rent a home or have utility accounts in their own right, can't have a bank account, driver's license, no car or car insurance, no kind of medical insurance or any other kind of insurance coverage. Can't further their education and occupational skills, can't get a legitimate job, can't start a legitimate business, has no social insurance status, no social benefits, no welfare benefits, no pensions of any kind to live on in their old age and poor health .... what the hey, they aren't even entitled to get a library card or go to the food bank if they're desperate.

If they do have children secretly it gets worse. They have to keep their kids as secret fugitives out of the system too - can't send their kids to school or university, can't get them vaccinated or get regular medical/dental checkups, can't get social welfare and financial benefits and other "extras" for them, and they risk deportation and losing their children if there is a medical emergency for either the parents or children. In an emergency how can the parent pay for medical and hospital services that they have no insurance coverage for and how will they present a secret child who is sick and for whom there are no birth records or medical records/history without arousing the immediate suspicions of medical staff and child welfare services and thence other authorities?

The above obstacles mentioned are only a few of the many more obstacles facing an illegal immigrant in Canada. And the long winters that are bone-deep cold .... oh, it's just too unmentionable.

Frankly I think most illegals who somehow seem to disappear into the fabric of Canada and nobody knows (officially) what happened to them, actually end up returning across the border and weaving themselves back into the fabric of America where the climate is warmer, it's so much easier for them to blend in and it's made easier and more hospitable for them to live as illegals.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:07 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Our laws ARE being enforced, always have been. Again, we are the ones who are consistent. No one is calling anyone racist here for them.

You are applying American attitudes, American politics to Canada. It doesn't work that way.
Already on this board there are Canadians calling Americans racist that blame all their problems on illegal immigrants. Don't think it won't happen there because that's the left these days. It used to be the Chamber of Commerce conservatives who liked the cheap labor, and the Democrats wanted immigration reform. Watch Barbara Jordan giving a speech about the findings of the immigration study back in 1995. Now it's Democrats saying you're racist if you even send back people with criminal records and prosecutors in some areas are deliberately under charging people so they won't get deported. There is no equal protection under the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies