Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 05:02 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times

Advertisements

No reparations, just focus on current racism and voter suppression efforts.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:02 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
So does this already-known slave-owning 'revelation' mean that now Obama is a member of the club that does not have to produce a birth certificate to prove citizenship? Sounds like his ancestors have been here far longer than Trump's.
No, a president still needs to be a natural born citizen. If his mother gave birth to him outside the United States, he would not have been eligible.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:11 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Okay first you guys said he wasn't even born here and now you're saying his family goes so far back in American history that they owned slaves. Well, which is it? And another thing, why are you conservatives still worrying over Obama? I can guarantee you that after Trump's four years are up I won't give two s***s about him. And I certainly won't be coming in here making troll threads about him after the fact.

Obama really must have gotten under your skin for you to still be obsessing like this.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:14 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
No, a president still needs to be a natural born citizen. If his mother gave birth to him outside the United States, he would not have been eligible.
So any child of American parents born overseas is not a citizen? I guess all those military brats are in for a very rude awakening. I think you just made that up.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:28 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
From 2007...

A new twist to an intriguing family history

Many people know that Democratic presidential candidate 's father was from Kenya and his mother from Kansas.

But an intriguing sliver of his family history has received almost no attention until now: It appears that forebears of his white mother owned slaves, according to genealogical research and census records.

The records - which had never been addressed publicly by the Illinois senator or his relatives - were first noted in an ancestry report compiled by William Addams Reitwiesner, who works at the Library of Congress and practices genealogy in his spare time.

According to the research, one of Obama's great-great-great-great grandfathers, George Washington Overall, owned two slaves who were recorded in the 1850 census in Nelson County, Ky. The same records show that one of Obama's great-great-great-great-great-grandmothers, Mary Duvall, also owned two slaves.

Just putting it out there for consumption.

They tried to walk it back a little by claiming it was a first draft.
My family owned slaves in Mississippi. I was shocked to find out when reading an old will.

Not something to be proud of, but it is my family history. I never thought we were unique.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:31 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You also noticed that, did you?
Funny how Lee was a respected war hero before the civil war, yet he is tarnished as if he was some scumbag.

Lee & Grant respected each other before the Civil War broke out, having served together in the Mexican-American War. But to the mindless crowd getting their marching orders to tear down historical works of art, they could not care less.
What does it have to do with anything that Lee was a respected war hero or Lee & Grant were buddies before the civil war? Benedict Arnold was a respected war hero.... until he wasn't. Unless you think people deserve a free pass for life just because they were respected at one time, no matter what they do?

Old 08-21-2017, 05:36 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm glad that we can agree that what our ancestors did 150 years ago has no bearing on who or what we are today and should be ignored. So can we finally dump all the "reparations" crap and all the claptrap about black Americans problems associated with some great, great, great, great ancestor having once been a slave?
Black Americans didn't only come through slavery but Jim Crow. They endured all sorts of abuse and discrimination that often affects them in various ways. That they are doing as well as they are is a miracle and a testament to their will to succeed.

Most of them don't care about reparations anyway

Old 08-21-2017, 05:37 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
So any child of American parents born overseas is not a citizen? I guess all those military brats are in for a very rude awakening. I think you just made that up.
I was wrong.

Quote:
Under U.S. law, a child born overseas to at least one U.S. citizen who has spent at least five years of their life physically living in the U.S. (and at least two of those years being after they were 14-years-old) is a U.S. citizen as long as her parents apply for (and receive) a consular report of birth abroad for that child.
https://www.spousebuzz.com/blog/2016...president.html

Old 08-21-2017, 05:40 PM

2,417 posts, read 1,448,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm glad that we can agree that what our ancestors did 150 years ago has no bearing on who or what we are today and should be ignored. So can we finally dump all the "reparations" crap and all the claptrap about black Americans problems associated with some great, great, great, great ancestor having once been a slave?
Like heck slavery has no bearing today. Not just slavery, but the hundred plus years of outright discrimination. Look at the statistics. Black people are at the bottom of everything in this country. Oh, but slavery and terrorism has nothing to do with that I suppose. It's all just one, big coincidence.

This is what happens when the public is not taught real American History. We are not taught about black peonage that lasted until the late 1940s. We are not taught about the Black Codes. We are not taught about redlining. We are not taught about how the government has undermined every political movement brought up by black people, including a movement I don't agree with in Marcus Garvey's plan to help black people move to African countries. You have to ask yourself why the racist government didn't back Garvey's plan to move black people out of the country, but whatever. Had we moved away, we would have never got our reparations. Now that we are still here, we can demand it.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:48 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You also noticed that, did you?
Funny how Lee was a respected war hero before the civil war, yet he is tarnished as if he was some scumbag. Yet an actual member of the KKK was one of the longest serving members of Congress, and no one on the left is acting as if life will end unless his name is removed.
Could it have anything to do with him having been a Democrat?
He acknowledged, and rejected that part of his past.

If you look at his long career it would be clear, he was a far better senator than many of our 'holier than thou' political figures.

"In interviews with The Wall Street Journal and Slate magazine held in 2002 and 2008, Byrd called joining the Klan “the greatest mistake I ever made.” To young people interested in becoming involved in politics, Byrd warned, “Be sure you avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don't get that albatross around your neck. Once you've made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the political arena.”

In his autobiography, Byrd wrote that he had become a KKK member because he “was sorely afflicted with tunnel vision -- a jejune and immature outlook -- seeing only what I wanted to see because I thought the Klan could provide an outlet for my talents and ambitions,” adding, “I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times ... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened … it has emerged throughout my life to haunt and embarrass me and has taught me in a very graphic way what one major mistake can do to one’s life, career, and reputation.”
"

The man has expressed more character in his contrition than most of his detractors, and he completed his very long political career with a lustrous legislative record. I wish I could be half the man he was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies