Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:39 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Fun fact, did you know most black slave owners bought their own family members to protect them? Most black slave owners did this, and they bought other slaves in order to protect them. They did this as a form of philanthropy. Then you had some who did it strictly for profit, we would call them sellouts today.
Interesting... I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing. Where's the "Schindler's List" of this history??

Old 08-21-2017, 06:40 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So....and?
There were many black people who owned slaves.. when they were freed, they went out and bought some slaves.. it was common.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:42 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Robert E Lee owned slaves - fire and brimestone - remove all traces that he existed.

Obama's people owned slaves - so what

Just a little uneven on the coverage there...

50+ buildings are still named after Grand Wizard Byrd in WV. No protests to this point.
I hope you wear a helmet at all times!!!

Old 08-21-2017, 06:42 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Obama's ancestors owned slaves.

Louisiana is known as the Pelican State.

We're on a roll now...

I saw pelicans in on Pelican Rock in the Sea of Cortez.

Next?

Old 08-21-2017, 06:47 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Many New Orleans blacks had slaves in its earlier history, yet the city mayor was the first one to have a statue removed, the Robert E Lee, which is what started this avalanche on removing statues. There's probably a good chunk of black New Orleanians whose histories could prove that a black ancestor had slaves.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:54 PM

2,417 posts, read 1,448,686 times
Ultimately reparations are owed to the black descendants of slaves. I don't care if it was a white owner or a black owner, black people were subjugated to force labor. They were also subjugated to terrorism, and today being an underclass. Today isn't a growing America. This isn't the early 1900s where this country was still growing economically. We live in the day of the haves and have nots. Billionaire corporations have set monopolies across the nation and the government isn't busting them up like they did before. It would be hard to be upwardly mobile if you come from an upper middle class white family today. How much more a black family? (We have no middle class. All we have as a group, are the .4% of the super rich. Everyone else is flat as a pancake.)

What I'm getting at is not only are reparations deserved because we've been shut out, it's our only hope at living a decent life in this country. Without it, you can kiss black people, the descendants of slaves, goodbye.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:01 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Fun fact, did you know most black slave owners bought their own family members to protect them? Most black slave owners did this, and they bought other slaves in order to protect them. They did this as a form of philanthropy. Then you had some who did it strictly for profit, we would call them sellouts today.
No, some black slave owners beat their slaves.. some bought them to protect them.. but other free blacks bought and sold slaves for profit. I can't even fathom buying and selling people in this world today.

I think how in sports they can trade players.. that is the closest I can think of trading people.

There was a class system even then with blacks free and slave. Those who were of means , owned land were of course the higher class, those who were slaves were of the lower class. They even classified them by their skin color.. which in itself is racist.

Today we are all a slave for a dollar to earn a living.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:05 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
So, you are saying that a black man who buys his daughter out of slavery and therefore OWNS her; a man who did that to protect her from being worked like a mule, having her labors stolen, being whipped, beaten, raped at the whim of any white man who comes along - with no recourse; her babies stolen AND SOLD; a man who buys his child to protect her from all that is unholy is on the same bad moral footing as the white slave owner who bought her for the sole purpose of abusing her life? Are you talking about that morality?

Where could you have gotten such a twisted idea of morality?

Ever see a picture of a whipped black slave? Don't look if you are squeamish!
Spoiler

This is real history, not some dude in his dress uniform, on his favorite horse, immortalized in bronze in order to terrify the local blacks to keep them from their rights.
Well, nobody is allowed to argue that owning another person is wrong because Obama's ancestors owned slaves.

Obviously.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:06 PM

2,417 posts, read 1,448,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
No, some black slave owners beat their slaves.. some bought them to protect them.. but other free blacks bought and sold slaves for profit. I can't even fathom buying and selling people in this world today.

I think how in sports they can trade players.. that is the closest I can think of trading people.

There was a class system even then with blacks free and slave. Those who were of means , owned land were of course the higher class, those who were slaves were of the lower class. They even classified them by their skin color.. which in itself is racist.

Today we are all a slave for a dollar to earn a living.
Most bought their family and other slaves to protect them. Often times men bought their wives and freed them afterward. Technically they go down as slave owners.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:09 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Many New Orleans blacks had slaves in its earlier history, yet the city mayor was the first one to have a statue removed, the Robert E Lee, which is what started this avalanche on removing statues. There's probably a good chunk of black New Orleanians whose histories could prove that a black ancestor had slaves.
Considering the high proportion of Caucasian ancestry among African Americans, I think one could say most African Americans had slave owning ancestors.

But these people were greatly abused, even by their own relatives and ancestors in the white families they were forced to serve. They more than any others have the right to be offended by the institution of slavery, the monuments erected to intimidate them and our shameful national history regarding it all.

New Orleans was a special case. Because the French had a more open attitude about race, it wasn't just a case of black and white. There were many cultured and refined creole families in New Orleans, with ancestors of African and European origin these were essentially free mixed race people for generations. It was among these that many 'passed' for white, and could be ancestors of millions of 'white' Americans today, possibly including me.

We are all too hung up about race in this country, we should acknowledge the sins of the past, resolve to do better and get on with the task of building a better future for all Americans without exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies