Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2017, 09:40 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
'Kids! We're going on a tour of Washington, DC. Don't wear anything political! If you buy souvenirs - hide them!'

The more people post, the dumber they sound.
Sounds like freedom to me...how about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 09:43 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Aren't these tours usually arranged ahead of time? I mean, you don't just drive up to Harvard with a busload of teenagers and expect to be welcomed. Arrangements must be made to have the group greeted, led on a tour and maybe visit a class or a cafeteria. If this was indeed a stop on the tour, nobody bothered to get information about the school in advance? No one bothered to get the history of the school? Howard is one of the most famous HBCu's. I don't know how anyone who has done research could miss that.

Anyhow, with the increased scrutiny of their story, it looks like the 'naivety' angle that the teenagers are trying to put forth is eroding.
In the Buzzfeed article the girls admitted that it was a planned stop, which is contradictory to the Tweets and comments they gave earlier to conservative outlets...

She admitted that they were told the previous Thursday that they were going to Howard. She also mentioned she knew it was "historic." I'd wonder what reason she thought it was "historic" unless she knew it was an "historically black college/university."

But I do blame the adults with them. As stated earlier, teenagers lie. The adults should not have let them walk around with political apparel on. Honestly, I would expect them to really not do so in DC which is a very political place and where people actually have been victims of violence recently due to their politics. The purpose of dress codes like this are to protect kids from being victimized, which made me feel that the chaperones were intentionally trying to victimize these girls for political celebrity.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:53 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Quote:
Aren't these tours usually arranged ahead of time? I mean, you don't just drive up to Harvard with a busload of teenagers and expect to be welcomed. Arrangements must be made to have the group greeted, led on a tour and maybe visit a class or a cafeteria. If this was indeed a stop on the tour, nobody bothered to get information about the school in advance? No one bothered to get the history of the school? Howard is one of the most famous HBCu's. I don't know how anyone who has done research could miss that.

Anyhow, with the increased scrutiny of their story, it looks like the 'naivety' angle that the teenagers are trying to put forth is eroding.
Your post has nothing to do with my post.

Those girls might have had a School project on Howard for all I know.... and are Experts on Howard University. (but I doubt it.) But it doesn't matter one bit if they knew Howard was a Black College or not.

One expects the law to be followed (especially at a college) & one should expect diversity of thought & expression to be understood and allowed (especially in a college environment). I guess the loony left expects these girls (who wore these shirts all day) to bring a change of clothes so as not to offend the sensibilities of the administration and students of this Historically Black College (for Weenies).

And none of your comments has anything to do with my post or rebutted (in any way) comments that I posted (in my post on the previous page).

Old 08-23-2017, 10:05 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:

If they were only stopping there for lunch, they probably called the school to okay it first. Nothing formal.

And these kids were tourists buying souvenirs in DC. The one girl said they just bought them there. So I suppose the adult chaperone should have thought ahead, what most of us here would NOT have thought, that they better not exhibit them at Howard.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:10 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
It would have been more interesting if the students had approached the girls to have a conversation. Suppose they politely sat down and asked the girls if they understood the meaning of the hats to many, in this environment at this time. See what they say.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It would have been more interesting if the students had approached the girls to have a conversation. Suppose they politely sat down and asked the girls if they understood the meaning of the hats to many, in this environment at this time. See what they say.
I suggested early in the thread that administrators or some adult at the school could have made it a learning experience for both groups of students by having a conversation.

But people don't talk anymore. They just react.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If they were only stopping there for lunch, they probably called the school to okay it first. Nothing formal.

And these kids were tourists buying souvenirs in DC. The one girl said they just bought them there. So I suppose the adult chaperone should have thought ahead, what most of us here would NOT have thought, that they better not exhibit them at Howard.
In the article posted by your buddy No Recess she admitted that the stop was planned and that she knew a few days ahead that they were going to Howard.

It was not a spur of the moment stop.

Her quote to the outlet:

Quote:
Vandee, though, said she was aware of the Howard trip days before.

"I think they did plan ahead, because on Thursday when we arrived [in DC] I knew about it," Vandee said.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:27 AM

Will note on above as well that there was interviews of other students on the trip and they stated that they were told they were going to Howard and that it was an HBCU

Also from Buzzfeed Other Teens Say There is More to the Story......

From the link:

Quote:
Eunissa Pullium, a 16-year-old student at Pennsylvania's Erie High — the other school on the trip — told BuzzFeed News the group's tour guide had informed the students Howard was an HBCU.

"Our tour guide told us it was an HBCU and everything and that's when we looked at what they were wearing and said, 'You can't wear that to a historically black college,'" said Pullium. "They just ignored it, like we didn’t say it at all."
Quityn Rogers, another Erie student, said he didn't hear the tour guide through his headphones, but told BuzzFeed News that he, too, warned the girls that their clothing might upset some Howard students.

"Before we got in the cafe we told them to take off the hats," said Rogers. "I had a pit in my stomach, I knew something was going to happen. They ignored us. They took matters into their own hands and kept them on."

Old 08-23-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Sounds like freedom to me...how about you?
Ha! Exactly. We have freedom of speech unless someone on the left doesn't like what we have to say. This is why I keep moving closer to the middle. I want nothing to do with this.

Remind me of this thread in the future:

'Try coming to my neighborhood wearing that hat!'
'I dare you to walk through a black neighborhood dressed like that!'
'If one of those girls had gotten slapped you'd be crying about blacks attacking them for no reason!'

'It's obvious you're racist - you're using the word thug to portray black people as violent!!'

Make up your mind, people - you can't have it both ways.

Like a hat would EVER justify physical assault.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:00 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
So the general narrative is that the girls were dressed provocatively and so they had it coming because you can't expect people to control themselves when someone dresses like that.

Shouldn't be surprised though. DC has a huge number of per capita hate crimes, it's not anywhere near being some bastion of tolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies