Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 07:00 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,556,293 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK — They wash their hands of neo-Nazis and wag their fingers at leftists. They denounce a press corps they see as biased and controversies they view as manufactured. But in the frenzied blame game over the deadly violence at a rally of white supremacists, Donald Trump's loyal base is happy to absolve the president himself.

Even as Trump's zig-zag response to the weekend bloodshed in Charlottesville, Virginia, has brought criticism from some Republican lawmakers, many men and women who helped put him in office remain unmoved by the latest uproar.
"He has done nothing to turn me away from him," said Patricia Aleeyah Robinson, of Toledo, Ohio.
Robinson is black and her support of Trump has put her at odds with many in her life, costing her friendships and straining family relationships.
But the 63-year-old retired truck driver sees the controversy over Trump's response to Charlottesville as being driven by those seeking to disrupt his agenda and push backers like her away. She said she knows he pays no deference to racists and feels he is the only president who has ever spoken directly to blacks. She admires his refusal to sugarcoat his beliefs.
Three hundred miles south in a Charleston, West Virginia, shopping mall, Joyce Ash took a moment to ponder Trump after buying a dress Wednesday to wear to the funeral for her husband of 33 years, who died of pancreatic cancer.

The 71-year-old woman summoned nothing but support for the political novice who led her to ditch her lifelong support of Democrats. She recalled sitting up all Election Night to watch Trump clinch the win, and said nothing since made her reconsider her vote.
"Let the president do his job instead of trying to take him out every time you turn around," Ash implored. She didn't follow the back-and-forth over Trump's statements on Charlottesville but saw no reason to question him: "I believe in Donald Trump, I really do. I believe that if they would just give this man a chance, the economy, everything will start going better."
Though images of Nazi flags and men in white hoods sickened many Americans, the president's most ardent champions saw no reason any of that should change their feelings for Trump.

"You know why it doesn't bother me? Because he is everybody's president whether you like him or don't like him. Everything he does, he's doing it for our country," said Patsy Jarman, a 70-year-old retired factory worker in New Bern, North Carolina. "And if you don't like being here, you need to leave."
Such enthusiasm may be unsurprising in some ways. Trump himself boasted last year he "could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
Polls showed his approval ratings dipping even before this flare-up, and now some commentators are proclaiming a historic low point and late-night comedians have turned serious. But many Trump voters interviewed Wednesday showed no sign of moving away from him.
In Florida, 50-year-old Steven Damron of Spring Hill said the president handled the Charlottesville situation well, and he agreed with Trump that "both sides" were to blame.

In Iowa, Branden Nong, 35, of Waukee said that while he wished the president was more careful with his tweets or in his criticism of fellow Republicans, his vote was driven by economic issues, and he has been happy with Trump's performance.
And in Pennsylvania, 46-year-old substitute teacher Julie Horrell of Mohrsville said: "I am sticking by the president. It's early in his term yet. He needs to get the time to dig in his feet."

Julie Brown, a 42-year-old real estate agent in Gilbert, Arizona, accused the media of twisting Trump's statements on Charlottesville and said local officials did a bad job preparing for the protests. But she remains fully behind a president she sees as exactly the unpolished, authentic leader that the U.S. needs right now, and thinks of how her 4-year-old son will someday learn of this time.

"He's going to be reading in a textbook one day about the good and the bad that this president is going to do," she said, "but I hope and I believe it's going to be more good."

Donald Trump's die-hard supporters show no signs of straying

Here's what I don't get Trump hasn't done ANYTHING he said that he's going to, He's embarrassed the U.S over and over again and while the polls still show that his overall ratings are at a all time low, none of that matter to his loyalist. They blame the left wing media for this but one can clearly see that no one is going to stop him from doing/saying whatever he wants too.

And maybe that's what they love about him. Telling the press that he didn't say whatever even 2 mins after he said it still doesn't phase his loyalist. Which to be honest makes me believe that a lot of his fan base are rich white older and tend to be a tad racist.

Trump made a statement once about shooting someone and no one would flinch I believe him, I don't think his loyalist would blink an eye. HE would tell that that he didn't do that and they would believe him, as a whole I question the sanity of those who voted for him.

Even more so the women who voted for him as he pretty much called them whores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 07:02 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,652,683 times
This just in. Trump has denounced Nazis and the KKK several times.

Also, this just in. Many people voted for Trump who are against and are not Nazis and the KKK.

This entire article just feels like a satirical piece.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:04 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,576,004 times
You should not expect the brain dead to somehow come to their senses. They are lost forever.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
This just in. Trump has denounced Nazis and the KKK several times.

Also, this just in. Many people voted for Trump who are against and are not Nazis and the KKK.

This entire article just feels like a satirical piece.

Proof?

Old 08-17-2017, 07:05 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,357,781 times
The hard-core cultists you see posting on C-D will NEVER abandon him. They are with him till death.

But there are TONS of Trump voters who don't particularly like him, but who voted for him because he was the Republican nominee, and because they didn't like Hillary. Plus, many thought he would "normalize" once he became President; the campaign silliness of insulting immigrants and women, claiming Obama was a Muslim foreigner and generally acting like an idiot was just a show for the trailer trash voters.

But now that it's clear that Trump isn't changing; he continues to focus on the Honey Boo Boo/Duck Dynasty crowd, he's alienating the "normal" Republicans that put him in office. My dad would be an example. He's a traditional conservative Republican and preferred Kasich but voted for Trump because he hated Hillary and thought the Trump clown show would end Nov. 8. He was dead wrong and now regrets his vote.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:07 AM

25,856 posts, read 16,555,430 times
I'm not straying other than to hope he stops his daily twitter campaign. But I will say I'm pretty impressed with the power of the media.

Like this made up controversy after Charlottesville. 20 years ago the national media wouldn't have even reported on it. But this media saw an opportunity to create this national discussion and they did it.

Biggest non story in history and it got a young woman and two cops killed so now they have a body count.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:07 AM

34,251 posts, read 18,616,638 times
I found Trump's multiple responses to Charlottesville to be spot on. He denounced the KKK, and Neo Nazi types but also acknowledged the paid BLM/Antifa types were wrong to attack, and use violence also. I see nothing wrong with Trump's statements. The media, as usual is spinning it to make Trump look bad, and the gullible are believing them.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

But now that it's clear that Trump isn't changing; he continues to focus on the Honey Boo Boo/Duck Dynasty crowd, he's alienating the "normal" Republicans that put him in office. My dad would be an example. He's a traditional conservative Republican and preferred Kasich but voted for Trump because he hated Hillary and thought the Trump clown show would end Nov. 8. He was dead wrong and now regrets his vote.

That's what I truly don't understand. Why would the blue collar working class vote for him?

The right has always favored the rich so what are they getting out of this other then a load of B.S?

Old 08-17-2017, 07:10 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,652,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Proof?
Proof of what, exactly?

Old 08-17-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I found Trump's multiple responses to Charlottesville to be spot on. He denounced the KKK, and Neo Nazi types but also acknowledged the paid BLM/Antifa types were wrong to attack, and use violence also. I see nothing wrong with Trump's statements. The media, as usual is spinning it to make Trump look bad, and the gullible are believing them.

So you believe there are good people in the KKK? That is after all what he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies