Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2017, 03:58 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,408,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I do not care. In the case of war, you have a loyalty to decide. You fight for the army you swore to, or you pick the enemy combatant. Lee picked the enemy combatant, even if it was his native Virginia. Furthermore, there is another reason I don't have respect for ANY Confederates. The Confederate cause. The #1 issue stated, from the Articles of Secession to the Cornerstone Speech by Alexander Stephens, was the desire to keep slavery.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pcy7qV-BGF4
And that is why this thread needs to be locked. Did you see the YouTube video I posted earlier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 05:57 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,706,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Muslims still enslave people today!
Good point an attaboy for you...
I think the ANTIFA's should protest in Iraq against the "Republican Guard. Wonder how well they would be treated there....

Old 08-23-2017, 05:59 PM

28,396 posts, read 16,233,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
1st off he was not a traitor because there was nothing in the constitution that said a state could not secede from the union. That was put in the constitution 1n 1869 four years after the end of the Civil war.

First off, he WAS a traitor because he took up arms in open rebellion against the United States of America and its duly elected government.

Quote:
2nd he did not break the oath he swore to the United States because he had already resigned his commission and went home.
Oh, so oaths end when you quit your job? Interesting premise. I guess a man's word doesn't mean much anymore, eh?

Old 08-23-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Does that make California treasonous for wanting to secede?

It would if they attempted to secede, yep.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:07 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,706,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Time to go to my camp build a fire and drink some 1783 recipe Evan Williams racist bourbon brewed in Kentucky ..ya'll have a good day!
Wasn't he Jack Daniels Great, Great Grandfather ?

Old 08-23-2017, 06:08 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,908,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
First off, he WAS a traitor because he took up arms in open rebellion against the United States of America and its duly elected government.

Wrong! If you know what traitor means and I doubt it. You would know he was not a traitor. Secession was not illegal until 1869.

Oh, so oaths end when you quit your job? Interesting premise. I guess a man's word doesn't mean much anymore, eh?

He resigned his commission so yes his obligation ended with his resignation. He was free and clear.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
However, in those times, many citizens had greater allegiance to their state and region than the Union. Lee was no different in that regard. Lincoln, prior to his assassination, wanted to ensure that members of the former confederacy be welcomed back to the Union at citizens, not traitors. You, on the other hand, view them as traitors and probably would have supported a more punitive (and thus divisive) post war plan.

Keep in mind that Lee was offered a position in the Union army, but felt a stronger loyalty not to the confederacy, but to Virginia.

One must further understand that our own colonial revolutionaries (who also supported slavery) were committing treason against the British Empire.

Anyone who doesn't understand that is an imbecile. What does that have to do with the discussion at hand, however? That if the Confederacy had won, they wouldn't be considered traitors, at the very least within the CSA? That has been covered earlier in the thread and, again, is plain as day to anyone with an above-room-temperature IQ.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
He resigned his commission so yes his obligation ended with his resignation. He was free and clear.
We will agree to disagree on that point.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,622,442 times
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
We will agree to disagree on that point.

you can agree to disagree all you want, but the fact remains that once he resigned his commission from the US army, his oath was no longer in effect, and thus he was free to do as he wished. and he chose to support his home state of virginia.

and once again i will remind you that it was not an easy decision for him to make, he was quite torn about the decision.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you can agree to disagree all you want, but the fact remains that once he resigned his commission from the US army, his oath was no longer in effect, and thus he was free to do as he wished. and he chose to support his home state of virginia.

and once again i will remind you that it was not an easy decision for him to make, he was quite torn about the decision.
And I disagree that an oath to protect and defend the United States ends when you take off the uniform. Mine hasn't, and many, many of my veteran friends feel the same way.

I don't care how "torn" he was about it. He made the wrong choice, lost, and should rightly be considered a traitor for taking up arms against the United States government. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies