Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:19 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,162,490 times

Advertisements

California is booming -- and that's either in spite of, or because of, strict environmental regulations. The latest cap-and-trade auction brought in record revenue. Solar and wind power are booming, fueling lots of jobs.

The environment vs. economy argument no longer makes sense. California proves that you can protect the environment and have a strong economy at the same time.

Trump is dead wrong on this.

Environmental regulation does not kill economic growth | Grist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 07:24 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,996 times
OMG. You mentioned California. The Trumpers are going to have seizures tonight.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:30 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
California is booming -- and that's either in spite of, or because of, strict environmental regulations. The latest cap-and-trade auction brought in record revenue. Solar and wind power are booming, fueling lots of jobs.

The environment vs. economy argument no longer makes sense. California proves that you can protect the environment and have a strong economy at the same time.

I'm willing to be open about it...now give a non-biased link to support, what the 'grist.org' has to say

Old 08-22-2017, 07:30 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,047 times
If I go around breaking windows for people to replace, that doesn't overall hurt the economy but it sure doesn't increase prosperity.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:34 PM

15,627 posts, read 10,382,405 times
Five years ago the state of California was inches from declaring bankruptcy.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:45 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

Smart corporations learned long ago, that clean operations are more efficient and profitable. Lazy and decadent industries, that always use the cheapest methods, usually let their buildings and equipment get run-down and they go out of business. Environmental regulations have benefited the corporations they affect, more than they do any other part of our society. Those that claim the regulations are making them go broke, just don't want to bother trying to be at their best.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:02 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Solar and wind are far and away the least efficient forms of energy, how does more expensive energy help the economy?

Old 08-22-2017, 08:06 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Solar and wind are far and away the least efficient forms of energy, how does more expensive energy help the exonomy?
Liberals think more spending and debt means more prosperity. Maxing out my spending and credit would help the economy, but not my long term prosperity.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:55 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Solar and wind are far and away the least efficient forms of energy, how does more expensive energy help the economy?
That may have been true in the early days of wind and solar development, but not anymore.

The top two states in terms of economic growth (California and Oregon) also have the most renewable energy. That should tell you something. The slowest economic growth are mostly red states that have the highest rates of coal usage and dirty fossil fuels. Coincidence? I don't think so. I don't know about you but I kind of like breathing clean air and drinking unpolluted water.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:29 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,596,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
That may have been true in the early days of wind and solar development, but not anymore.

The top two states in terms of economic growth (California and Oregon) also have the most renewable energy. That should tell you something. The slowest economic growth are mostly red states that have the highest rates of coal usage and dirty fossil fuels. Coincidence? I don't think so. I don't know about you but I kind of like breathing clean air and drinking unpolluted water.
Even bright red Texas is getting in on the act. Lots of wind farms in the western part of the state. I can't vouch for this, but I heard there's gonna be an expansion to the TX Gulf Coast (presumably the so-called "Coastal Bend" region from Houston to Corpus Christi). Yeah, there's a lot of crazy right-wing stuff in this state, but still give this state the proper amount of due in renewable energy. BTW, TX is the least tax-taker of the red states - usually close to break-even in federal tax giver/taker measures, and perhaps even a net donor in some years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies