Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 05:41 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times

Advertisements

I heard this right wing rally is taking place at some cities around the country but this seems to be rather large. Hope it ends peacefully, it appears Boston is prepared for this.

Quote:
So you’re heading to Boston this weekend to protest the “Free Speech Rally” happening Saturday on the Common. Great. Welcome to Boston.
Before you get here, a few words of advice: This looks like it’s going to be huge. Estimates vary, but as many as 20,000 or 3o,000 people may be turning out to counter the message of the extremist speakers lined up for the event. A rally similar to this one happened on the Common in May, and almost no one noticed. But this is different. After a truly heinous weekend in Virginia, people are pretty worked up right now, and officials are on high alert about the hordes of people coming our way.

How to Protest Boston's "Free Speech Rally" Properly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 05:48 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I heard this right wing rally is taking place at some cities around the country but this seems to be rather large. Hope it ends peacefully, it appears Boston is prepared for this.

How to Protest Boston's "Free Speech Rally" Properly
Do you have estimates of crowd size expectations for each side and a source?

I couldn't find the numbers you had in your OP.

Thanks.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Do you have estimates of crowd size expectations for each side and a source?

I couldn't find the numbers you had in your OP.

Thanks.

No I don't have a source other than the Boston Globe, the PD is gearing up for this and telling people to stay out of the area. Boston is deploying 500 Police Officers, seems small for that estimate.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:19 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Free speech > whiny liberals/communists.

MAGA

Old 08-18-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Free speech > whiny liberals/communists.

MAGA
All for peaceful free speech, no guns and cars, leave those combat fatigues and flak jackets home. Convince me that it's really about free speech, and dress properly like those stylish, clean shaven young lads marching around the monument last Saturday, minus the torches.

Last edited by Goodnight; 08-18-2017 at 06:45 PM..

Old 08-18-2017, 06:38 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
I wonder how many will show up to express their "free speech" rights with guns and lead pipes...

On a somewhat related note, one right wing crazy is looking at up to eight years in prison for beating people with lead pipes in Berkeley. Turns out the guy is a multi-time felon...

Trump supporter arrested in Berkeley could face lengthy prison term - SFGate

He's currently whining about how it's all some grand conspiracy to stop him from being in Boston.

Put enough of these losers in prison or out of a job (the ones that are actually capable of holding down a job, that is) and the rest of them will disperse back to the trailer parks they crawled out of.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:48 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Is Berkeley actually trying to bring back free speech?

UC Berkeley chancellor unveils 'Free Speech Year' as right-wing speakers plan campus events - LA Times

The chancellor there is saying some of the right things about it at least:
Quote:
“Particularly now, it is critical for the Berkeley community to protect this right; it is who we are,” she said. “That protection involves not just defending your right to speak, or the right of those you agree with, but also defending the right to speak by those you disagree with, even of those whose views you find abhorrent.”
She drew loud applause when she asserted that the best response to hate speech is “more speech” rather than trying to shut down others, and when she said that shielding students from uncomfortable views would not serve them well.
“You have the right to expect the university to keep you physically safe, but we would be providing you less of an education, preparing you less well for the world after you graduate, if we tried to protect you from ideas that you may find wrong, even noxious,” she said.
Although everyone wants to feel comfort and support, Christ said, inner resilience is the “the surest form of safe space.”

Old 08-18-2017, 06:54 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
No I don't have a source other than the Boston Globe, the PD is gearing up for this and telling people to stay out of the area. Boston is deploying 500 Police Officers, seems small for that estimate.
Your 20K to 30K estimate is by BLM.

Quote:
Black Lives Matter organizers said they expected as many at 20,000 to 30,000 people to participate in Saturday's marches.
Doesn't say if that's combined, both sides, or just the counter-protest.

Quote:
John Medlar of the Boston Free Speech Coalition thinks as many as 1,000 people could show up.
Doesn't say if he believes that's combined or just his side.

Wish I could find firmer numbers.

If that's 20/30 to 1 in favor of one side that's quite an imbalance.

City prepping as thousands expected at protests on Boston Common

Old 08-18-2017, 06:59 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,102,019 times
Quote:
All for peaceful free speech, no guns and cars, leave those combat fatigues and flak jackets home. Convince me that it's really about free speech, and dress properly like those stylish, clean shaven young lads marching around the monument last Saturday, minus the torches.
People wouldn't need to show up with helmets, and shields if ANTIFA didn't always come to these events and begin assaulting people.

Hopefully ANTIFA doesn't come and attack people like they always do, and this is a peaceful event.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:07 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
I keep thinking it is a set up ... I think the left may have their hand in all this.. I will see if I am right when I see the outcome of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies