Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 06:30 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The DOJ will also "appeal" the Obama Judge's order - Texas passed a new voter law to replace the original law in this Lawsuit & the DOJ signed off on that law. SB-14 is the original Law, SB-5 is the new Law.

I'm about halfway through reading the Judge's ruling - but this part is pretty indicative of the Judge's Agenda.

Private Plaintiffs complain that SB 5 allows the use of only a “domestic” birth certificate, eliminating the ability of naturalized citizens—disproportionately Hispanics—to use their foreign birth certificates to prove identity.

I kid you not - the Judge and the Plaintiffs are arguing that Foreign Birth Certificates should be used for Texas ID to vote.
That was fast -- The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans (3 Judge Panel) heard the Appeal and stayed the Court Order by U.S. District Judge Nelva Gonzales Ramos. I was correct, it was the US Department of Justice that brought the Appeal.

Federal court says Texas can use new voter ID law for November elections |Texas Tribune - September 5, 2017

In a joint order Tuesday, Judges Jerry Smith and Jennifer Elrod wrote that Texas "has made a strong showing that it is likely to succeed on the merits," and added that the state has also "made a strong showing that this reasonable-impediment procedure remedies plaintiffs' alleged harm and thus forecloses plaintiffs' injunctive relief."

This is likely the end of it. Next step for the plaintiffs would be the US Supreme Court if they decided to appeal the 5th Circuit Court decision - the US Supreme Court is unlikely to take the case.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
That was fast -- The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans (3 Judge Panel) heard the Appeal and stayed the Court Order by U.S. District Judge Nelva Gonzales Ramos. I was correct, it was the US Department of Justice that brought the Appeal.

Federal court says Texas can use new voter ID law for November elections |Texas Tribune - September 5, 2017

In a joint order Tuesday, Judges Jerry Smith and Jennifer Elrod wrote that Texas "has made a strong showing that it is likely to succeed on the merits," and added that the state has also "made a strong showing that this reasonable-impediment procedure remedies plaintiffs' alleged harm and thus forecloses plaintiffs' injunctive relief."

This is likely the end of it. Next step for the plaintiffs would be the US Supreme Court if they decided to appeal the 5th Circuit Court decision - the US Supreme Court is unlikely to take the case.
This is very similar to the North Carolina case as noted in the article that the Supreme Court did take and did strike down.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:30 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:

No.

They allowed the November elections to proceed based on the legislatures attempt to lessen the impact of their voter ID law with SB5. This is temporary, they have not yet ruled on constitutionality but it will be interesting to see how many have their voter rights restricted.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:39 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
The fact that so many liberals believe minorities have less of an intellect and can't do what white people can do is quite alarming.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The fact that so many liberals believe minorities have less of an intellect and can't do what white people can do is quite alarming.
I am white and I am not required to present a photo I.D. to vote. **** your racist post. I will fight any attempt to make myself jump through additional hoops to exercise my right to vote.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:47 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with intellect, this is a burden to people. The fact that it excludes people from voting should not be taken lightly.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I am white and I am not required to present a photo I.D. to vote. **** your racist post. I will fight any attempt to make myself jump through additional hoops to exercise my right to vote.
So, we should just have open voting centers where you just walk in, say you are there to vote and vote?

Please tell me you don't want to violate the voting rights of the homeless by forcing some registration requirement that hampers their voting privileges.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
So, we should just have open voting centers where you just walk in, say you are there to vote and vote?
No one ever argued that. I am legally registered to vote. Why should I be required to do any more than what I have done?

Quote:
Please tell me you don't want to violate the voting rights of the homeless by forcing some registration requirement that hampers their voting privileges.
Cucumbers.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It has nothing to do with intellect, this is a burden to people. The fact that it excludes people from voting should not be taken lightly.
Then why do they keep saying it hurts minorities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No one ever argued that. I am legally registered to vote. Why should I be required to do any more than what I have done?

Cucumbers.
Forcing people to register to vote location of residence hampers the ability of the homeless to vote.

The only way to not place any obstacles for anyone is allowing anybody to come into any voting center and cast a ballot without registration or any ID. Is this the system you want or are you ok with you denying some people the right?

Old 09-06-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:

Forcing people to...................................
I addressed your post and asked a question of you. If you do not want to answer questions asked of you, do not expect people to address those you ask.

I am already registered to vote. Why should I be forced to jump through addition hoops to exercise my constitutional right to vote?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies