Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 07:10 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times

Advertisements

Why do lottery winning give most to charity, is that just to keep the beggars off the door, why even win if your going give it away, I'm keeping every penny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 07:13 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Why do lottery winning give most to charity, is that just to keep the beggars off the door, why even win if your going give it away, I'm keeping every penny
Because some people have character.

Also, some people have an ounce of wisdom to position themselves best for tax purposes.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:21 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,524,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I said this in the current events thread...

The coworker already knew. I'm sure 1/2 the town knew by 9am. She was going to be named quickly anyway.
They knew when she walked off the job.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:22 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,524,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
With 758 million, a lot of problems can be solved. She can move anywhere, live anywhere, and it can happen NOW. She could buy 1,000 acres, build her own town and hire her own security force. She can instantly build a buffer between herself and anyone she does not want to see. In effect, she can pretty much do anything she pleases.

So I don't see 'coming out' immediately as any kind of major problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwzaxUF0k18

Old 08-25-2017, 07:23 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,027,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I would call my financial planner and instruct him to set up a meeting and to procure a CPA and an attorney. If possible, I would keep my identity secret.

The rule of thumb is to keep working for at least a year when you get any kind of windfall. But that kind of money would be so disruptive, I do not know if I could carry on at work.
Surely you jest!

I would quit immediately. Or maybe go back in for just one day so I could tell everyone in person what had happened, and watch their faces.

Believe me, if something at work happened that your job was eliminated, they would NOT give you notice.

Work for a year? I can't imagine such nonsense!

Old 08-25-2017, 07:32 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,045,715 times
Am posting comments I made in another thread on the same subject.

Congrats to the winner.

Like others posted:

- She should have remained anonymous (she'll be hounded 24/7 for a LONG time)
- She should have contacted a tax attorney 'before' claiming the winnings
- She should have waited as long as MA state laws allow before coming forth
- She should have not quit her job so quickly
- She should have gotten rid of the gum before being interviewed!

Woulda, coulda, shoulda

Ah well, she'll learn as she goes forward (hopefully). At least she doesn't have to ever return to working again, and her kids are set for life. I'm sure all the long-lost relatives will be at her door by day's end.

Can you just imagine how many car salesmen and realtors are pounding on her door today? Even though she said her first expenditure will be to pay off the car she bought last year, car salesmen will still be beating a path to her door.

Now that her paychecks and health insurance will cease, hope she has sufficient funds to hold her over until the money is wired into her account.

Oh - about her job . . .can you just imagine if you'd won and stayed anonymous and continued working until you had the money? Talk about having a completely stress-free job! Ha!

Hope she takes a deep breath and slows down before making any rash decisions.

More power to her!

Old 08-25-2017, 07:40 AM

487 posts, read 544,886 times
My friend had a next door neighbor who won big time in the lottery. He did not come forward for months at advice from his lawyer. One of the main reasons was for the safety of his kids. As friendly as he was with his neighbors they did not even know. It was kind of funny because he said he could not work because he was "disabled". He did not want it out there that he resigned from his job. When his neighbors saw him doing physical activity, they were perturbed thinking he was a fake and one wanted to report his dishonesty. It was a good laugh afterwards. He was is now living in a mansion not on their block or neighborhood anymore!!

Old 08-25-2017, 07:40 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
My rule would be ANYBODY who came around begging or soliciting would receive nothing, ever. I choose my own charities. Anyone who suddenly tried to show up from the past, See ya.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:41 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Because the best part of having money for some of us is using it to help other people. I donate to causes that are important to me now, and I can't imagine that would change were I to experience a major windfall, which would allow me to expand the magnitude and sphere of my influence in attempting to make the world a better place for everyone. Generosity feeds the soul.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:46 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two boys View Post
My friend had a next door neighbor who won big time in the lottery. He did not come forward for months at advice from his lawyer. One of the main reasons was for the safety of his kids. As friendly as he was with his neighbors they did not even know. It was kind of funny because he said he could not work because he was "disabled". He did not want it out there that he resigned from his job. When his neighbors saw him doing physical activity, they were perturbed thinking he was a fake and one wanted to report his dishonesty. It was a good laugh afterwards. He was is now living in a mansion not on their block or neighborhood anymore!!
One of the benefits of being a remote employee and working out of a home office is the ability to hide a lack of employment should it become necessary. Our kids would not even know if we chose to keep it from them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies