Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 10:19 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I've never had less than 1.5x match with any employer. Most of mine were graduated, such as:

2x for first 1% of salary
1.5x for next 1%
1x for next 1%

Stuff like that..

You must have a pretty crappy 401K
3 or 4% match is the standard at most of the big financial companies here in NYC for regular employees. Though some offer 6% match up to a certain point. Of course there are some companies like the big four accounting firms that still have lucrative pension plans for their partners that pay out two or three hundred grand a year in retirement.

Isn't what you have just 4.5% or is there no cap?

ps. Maybe you thought I meant .75%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 10:24 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Now here's the thing, we will be told by Trump fans -- oh it will never pass don't worry.

But doesn't it concern you it is even on the table? At one point do you stop and think they are just pretending to get things done. Why propose things that won't be passed and blah blah blah.

Trump is very careful in all of this. Health Care, Tax Reform, Debt Ceiling...he will make sure it looks like everyone else isn't playing the game right and that's why things aren't working. Not his fault.

As President, as Leader, his role is to make it work...to make them play the game right. If he can't do that -- he sucks as President. It just is that.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:27 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
3 or 4% match is the standard at most of the big financial companies here in NYC for regular employees. Though some offer 6% match up to a certain point. Of course there are some companies like the big four accounting firms that still have lucrative pension plans for their partners that pay out two or three hundred grand a year in retirement.

I work at a major bank and get 5%. Another major bank I know pays 6%. That's the max I'm aware of.

My husband works for a small company and gets 4%.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:28 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Trump’s team and lawmakers making strides on tax reform plan - POLITICO
You should have the
One idea quietly being discussed would be taxing the money that workers place into their 401(k) savings plans up front: an idea that would raise billions of dollars in the short-term and is pulled from the Camp plan. This policy idea is widely disliked by budget hawks, who consider it a gimmick; the financial services industry that handles retirement savings; and nonprofits that try to encourage Americans to save.

I really hope his is a non-starter. People need more encouragement to save for their own retirement not less.
We should have the option to choose whether we're taxed when putting it in or takin it out. I wouldn't be in favor of this idea unless it was tied to an overall plan to pay down the debt.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:29 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,935 times
Quote:
How about putting all gov't employees on 401k with a 3/4% match like the rest of us mere mortals to save some big bucks before taxing us to death.
Why all the hate for government employees? Feel free to go to USAJOBS and apply if you think it's so grand! I know many places are short-handed. Just be sure you can pass a background check, have decent credit, and have the education and experience. Good luck!

Old 08-25-2017, 10:30 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Gotta pay for tax cuts for the wealthy somehow.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:30 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Now here's the thing, we will be told by Trump fans -- oh it will never pass don't worry.

But doesn't it concern you it is even on the table? At one point do you stop and think they are just pretending to get things done. Why propose things that won't be passed and blah blah blah.

Trump is very careful in all of this. Health Care, Tax Reform, Debt Ceiling...he will make sure it looks like everyone else isn't playing the game right and that's why things aren't working. Not his fault.

As President, as Leader, his role is to make it work...to make them play the game right. If he can't do that -- he sucks as President. It just is that.
Without the savings from their failed health care reform the only option that they're left with is just shuffling the same 52 card deck. Originally the tax reform as they sold it was supposed to be a tax cut for all. Now that it's clear they can't squeeze any savings out from health care reform it's down to picking winners and losers among the what? 50% of us that actually pay any federal income tax.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:36 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I've never had less than 1.5x match with any employer.
Never? I've been at jobs with no matching whatsoever, and then on top of that, I was tagged as a "Highly Compensated Employee", so I wasn't even allowed to max out my contribution.

I wonder if HCE rules are being reconsidered.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:41 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:

My employer will match up to 3% of my salary on a graduated scale. You get a higher match for the 1st 1%, then progressively less for the subsequent 2%.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:43 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
We should have the option to choose whether we're taxed when putting it in or takin it out. I wouldn't be in favor of this idea unless it was tied to an overall plan to pay down the debt.
Most can option for a Roth or standard, so that option does exist in a lot of cases.

Last edited by Threerun; 08-25-2017 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies