Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 06:59 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Joel Olsteen got that mega-mansion from his faithful followers donations. You would think he could open his heart and his doors to people trudging through chest-deep water..... But no. It's always about the money. $$$$ Not the people. I hope everyone remembers this and never EVER gives that greedy man another dime again...
Doesn't fit his business model. The faithful who like clean, hermetically sealed surrounds are a profit line on the books. Wet, hungry people are a loss item. Nothing personal, just bidness...

BTW - His "church" is the former Compaq Center sports arena. 16,800 capacity.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-28-2017 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: hot linking/copyright

Old 08-28-2017, 07:00 PM

1,235 posts, read 731,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
In Sandy Republicans demanded that cuts be made in the budget to offset the Sandy relief. They should demand the same in this case. Alternatively, Texas should get no money from any infrastructure deal that comes down later having received their share already in hurricane relief.
Back that up with factual data.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:02 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Joel Olsteen got that mega-mansion from his faithful followers donations. You would think he could open his heart and his doors to people trudging through chest-deep water..... But no. It's always about the money. $$$$ Not the people. I hope everyone remembers this and never EVER gives that greedy man another dime again...
I hope so too. Mattress Mac has opened his stores to survivors, offering them food and shelter. Regular people are doing the same thing. Not rich Joel Osteen. It's absolutely sickening.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:04 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Take a look at the videos and photos of the damage. It's not just private homes and businesses that are damaged. Roads, bridges, street signs, interstates, schools, libraries, government buildings are all damaged. School buses, government vehicles and equipment that is damaged. Insurance doesn't pay to fix roads that are washed out or sewer plants that are ruined or for downed utility lines and street lights/street signs that are gone. Or public marinas, parks, sidewalks and all the landscaping in public places. Then the mere cleanup of debris that's in public roads and public areas will be a massive undertaking. Government pays for these things because government owns them.
Local governments take out insurance just like private businesses. I can tell you 100% they insure schools, libraries, buildings, vehicles, sewer plants, street lights, traffic lights, fire hydrants, water towers, etc. Almost all physical public assets can be covered. Public debris clean-up is often an interlocal agreement between the county and city.

There will absolutely be uninsured costs though. But that is why well managed municipalities maintain fund reserves for emergencies such as this. I'm not saying the feds have absolutely no role in this situation, but I believe individuals and state/local governments have gotten too used to being bailed out by Uncle Sam.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:04 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
For the sake of everybody; I hope you are right. I was almost lost in the flood of 1955 when two earthen dams failed. There was one third dam that they feared would fail; but I am still here to write about it. Earthen dams bring back bad memories and I worry.
Any poorly maintained dam should be a concern - my "in house" Engineer says these dams are quite common all over Texas and have held up well. Residents need to be aware that when they say they HAVE to release water ...... they are dead serious. A dam failure is a Catastrophe.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:08 PM

39,074 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Texas could pay by just passing a new tax on fuel shipped out of state. Then what?
Then they would be in violation of the US Constitution. States can't impose import or export tariffs.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:11 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Texas could pay by just passing a new tax on fuel shipped out of state. Then what?
Good idea. Tesla and others will sell even more electric cars.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:12 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Same folks paying for the wall...

Old 08-28-2017, 07:16 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Apparently now some people (looters?) are shooting at the rescue boats.
I saw that. I even read that some are trying to take the broken down boats, or shooting at them when they are trying to fix it.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:20 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Joel Olsteen got that mega-mansion from his faithful followers donations. You would think he could open his heart and his doors to people trudging through chest-deep water.<>
I don't think the issue is with his house, but the sanctuary. Pretty early to blast them, don't you think? Looks like the church is flooded possibly? Pictures on the website would help us understand. Is there a map of known flooded areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies