Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 01:39 AM

33,015 posts, read 12,284,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
In this article it is apparent that much of Houston's problems comes from the fact so much of it is sinking.

For years, the Houston area has been losing ground - Houston Chronicle

Instead of using surface waters, 30 of the 50 major public water sources are from ground water.

Areas have sunk 4 feet in past 50 years because of removing the ground water.

This is a big reason why this storm should be a call to action to stop draining the ground water and build pipelines and water treatment plant to use surface water.

It is a further good reason to stop pouring concrete slabs for homes built on grade. All the surfaces paved over no longer can recharge the aquafers.
Yep.

The SJRA (San Jacinto River Authority) has been delving into and spending money re this for a number of years. Percentage wise this bill has increased far more than any bill I have, but it is still such a small amount, I don't mind. In 2008, IIRC it was 7 cents per 1,000 gallons per hookup. Now, IIRC, it is a couple or a few dollars per 1,000 gallons per hookup.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Yeah! Typical Trump. There is the usual flavor of HIM and his administration having the "greatest storms". Everything with him has that flag-waving, look at ME grandstanding. The actor acting. He doesn't know how to BE genuine; only to pretend he's being genuinely presidential. "Look at what I'm doing now. I'm being a version of those other presidents (only greater in my humble opinion)."

I've disliked other presidents' behavior at times but can't think of any that absolutely reeked of being devoid of actual compassion. Trump rings hollow. Everything comes out of his ego. No sign of anything REALLY emanating from a human heart. All about the production value and showmanship.
I don't like Trump, and I wouldn't vote for him, but I don't hate him.

What good does it do you, anyone else, or the country to harbor such feelings?

Feeling the way you do isn't going to make Hillary the President.

Would you rather have Pence than Trump?

Old 08-30-2017, 01:50 AM

9,132 posts, read 5,779,545 times
I am far from a fan of TV preachers, but this is fake news; his doors were never closed.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Lakewood Church is $50 million; his house is only $10 million. Shocking, still. I'll bet his War Room is something to see.
I was looking at a $5 million house here just in case I scored the lottery. I can't imagine what $10 million gets in Houston. Pool from the Pool Show? Aquariums from the TV show. Marble from the Dead Sea?
You should read about him more. It's a cash business, BTW.
He has claimed that he hasn't taken a penny from the church for years. That all of his income comes from his books, etc.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:38 AM

51,608 posts, read 25,642,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Words of advise to Houston residence going into flood waters.

Bacteria is your biggest threat.

I swim weekly for hours in some of the dirtiest waters and have learned to depend myself.

#1 Rinse ears with alcohol. I use 70% ethanol. Can be lower. Isopropyl okay. Be sure not to get any in eyes.
I have had zero ear infections in 8 years of swimming in the tropics

#2 MRSA is the worst danger. This is an antibiotic resistant bacteria that can enter the body in any cut, a hair follicle, or sweat pore. First sign is usually a large painful boil. Can also make a cut look white.

Continuing to wear damp clothes greatly increases.chances of infection especially on buttocks.

It is easily killed on the surface of the skin with anti-bacteria soap.

However once in the body, soap alone only helps prevent spread.

If boil doesn't flow naturally, lancing it open may be required. Do not squeeze pus deeper into the body.

Triple anti-biotic topical creams are almost no good. Look for silver cream. It is commonly called burn cream. Peroxide damages tissue too much and stops natural healing. This bacteria​ ignores iodine once in body.

Anti-biotics that do NOT end with "cillin" like amoxicillin will do little good. Need Clyndamycin or Bactrim. Full course always.

Keep an eye out for infections in others. Ask what medicine they are on. I find many try and self medicate. Even many doctors give the wrong prescription.
Great advice.

I can attest to the alcohol in the ear. Once we started using this after swimming, our children had 0 ear infections and they swam in creeks, sloughs, lakes, public and private swimming pools, ...

Are you talking about Silvadene, silver sulfadiazin cream?

Old 08-30-2017, 02:58 AM

Apparently, there were worries that their under-building parking area would flood (it did), and concerns over lack of a kitchen or any showers.

Lack of showers is why you would not welcome strangers in a storm?

But whatever. That's all behind us now. Issues with the lack of showers and so forth are all behind us now. Air mattresses are on the floor. Doors are not only unlocked but open.

More good news from the good pastor. Lakewood Church is working with Samaritan’s Purse to raise money for hurricane relief.

Praise the Lord.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 08-30-2017 at 03:29 AM..

Old 08-30-2017, 03:25 AM

8,342 posts, read 4,323,452 times
About the only modern day, Christian religious figure that has avoided some kind of scandal is Billy Graham. There is probably a reason for that.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:32 AM

It's interesting that they didn't immediately open up as a shelter.

Such expenditures are often reimbursed down the road and would be great for fund raising.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:51 AM

18,341 posts, read 18,953,457 times
If there is a god in heaven he will send Joel to hell for living the lifestyle he does , Joel is a sham and out for no one but himself.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:01 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,015,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I am far from a fan of TV preachers, but this is fake news; his doors were never closed.
But just watch the anti-religious gobble up the fake news, just like they always do.

The pictures I saw clearly showed some areas of the church had water. Can you imagine the fake outrage if people had poured in and someone, especially a child, drowned?

I'm no fan of mega churches and wealthy pulpit shriekers, but nothing this guy could have done would please the constantly offended. Always angry, looking for a reason......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies