Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 02:43 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times

Advertisements

The idiotic mayor of Houston's helicopter ride is over. What a spectacle this was and complete waste of important resources by this idiot.

They should be using resources such as this, to rescue the 1000s of people still stranded in dire circumstances because they listened to the mayor's advice to NOT evacuate.

Thankfully Texas has a competent governor.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:46 PM

447 posts, read 557,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You didn't read the OP. (as usual)

• Joel Ostean opens flooded church - MSM criticizes him for it.
  • Muslims open temples - MSM praises them for it.
Deranged take MSM bait. Same thing day after day.

MSM criticizes Joel Ostean for "opens flooded church"?

Old 08-31-2017, 02:48 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Well, when I was a kid, my friends and I used to watch reruns of the Dukes Of Hazzard and, black and white alike, we all watched the show and loved the car. The flag and the name didn't mean a thing to any of us and it wasn't really an issue until some groups with a specific agenda came up with the argument that what was painted on the car was bad bad bad.
Same here. It was just a show to us. But these days, people act like the Dukes were KKK members and out there dragging black people with General Lee.

"In the next episode of Dukes of Hazzard, Bo Duke hangs a darkie, while Daisy Duke accuses a black man of hitting her"

Funny that they ignore shows like The Jeffersons and The Cosby Show, which was a well-off black family living in NYC that aired during that time.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:49 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There was no Politics in this decision. You and I both recall 2005 and what a disaster that evacuation where 100+ people dying and thousands being stranded without gas and food.

Harvey was to hit around Corpus and very few predicted what happened. It grew from a Cat 1 to a Cat 4 in about 18 hours and stalled between 2 high pressure systems.

Today in DFW our gas stations are closing due to no gas supplies.

We are with you guys. We've all seen videos of citizen heroes. That's what TX (and others) is all about.

Thanks for your posts. Stay strong.
Thank you

I love seeing our community come together. We can evaluate Turner at a later date, but I truly believe he thought he was making the best decision of the options presented to him. But right now, that's neither here nor there.

This city is not worried about second-guessing and playing Monday morning QB. We're trying to put our city back together.

At a distribution warehouse next to University of Houston watching 5 empty trucks and trailers head to another church to reload after we spent the last 4 hours unloading them and others donating items to those in need.

Tomorrow it's Houston Food Bank. Then again Saturday. Then Monday at NRG and the Texans. And so on and so on.

You too, the gas situation in DFW is a scary situation in itself.

Be safe.

13,411 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Trump giving a million dollars of his own money to flood victims, the White House just announced. Let's see how the Loonies spin this to make him look bad.
Ooh, I'll have a go!

He got at least a million dollars worth of free publicity hawking his hat as seen in the post by KA up thread.

A million dollars is pretty lame for someone so apparently rich.

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Maybe the same reason you do...

Sorry, but that's not really the case. See here...

To which you replied...

So yes, you're saying that it is reasonable to safely evacuate millions of people. "Millions" means at least 2 million, so basically you're saying that it would be reasonable to safely evacuate the entire population of Houston.

Like I said, youi're kinda hopping around all over the place so much I don't think even you know exactly what it is you're saying. I think you've kind of lost track. Not saying that to be mean, but it just looks to me as though that's the way it is.
I responded to her saying it was impossible to evacuate people. They could have evacuated the 2.3 million he is responsible for, but I never said that they HAD TO. I'm not "kinda jumping around here". You are, however. You're just mad that I'm calling out that pos mayor. You have yet to admit that you have been wrong about how many people are in Houston, (NOT 6 million) and you keep changing why you're all pissy over my posts. Again, you and your little boy friend do not mean a thing to me. No matter how many times you two try to silence me, I will not be silenced. I have zero respect for either one of you. I've never respected you, I did have some for the other until he wanted to start talking to me like he owned me. He can f himself now, too.

Get this through your little head: I don't give a **** if you don't like me putting the blame squarely where it belongs. The fact that you're fighting that so hard means you have a motive. So why don't you just admit what that motive is, and no, it's not about me so don't even try. Be honest for a change.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:50 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
A black MMA fighter has been helping victims of Harvey for days. Even the dreaded white folks. Lots of pics and videos of him helping anyone and everyone in the article.

To normal folks this is a man of integrity, respect, and a hero.

To the Left he'll be labeled an Uncle Tom or worse.
I hate seeing this disaster politicized. I understand there are huge divides in this country. Thank MSM and the prior administration for fomenting that to 60s levels for financial gain.

There is no color in TX at this moment. No heritage, no religious differences, no animosity.

The best in people are shining right now, and THAT is all that matters and should matter to any of us.

MSM can bite me as they try their best to undermine just how great this country truly is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You grew up in a very different South than I grew up in.
Maybe it is you who grew up in a different south. All the southerners I've met are totally respectful and courteous. Are they the exception? I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Well, when I was a kid, my friends and I used to watch reruns of the Dukes Of Hazzard and, black and white alike, we all watched the show and loved the car. The flag and the name didn't mean a thing to any of us and it wasn't really an issue until some groups with a specific agenda came up with the argument that what was painted on the car was bad bad bad.
A General Lee from the series is now worth more than $300K, a bottom up restoration for the movie is $100k

http://www.legendarymotorcar.com/inv...rger-1210.aspx

Cars are not racists, and those 69 Dodges are a thing of beauty.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:52 PM

57,229 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Hannity? He's pushing this nonsense?

Good grief.
He led off his show blaming the mayor with not one mention of Rita, then went on to ask people to pull together. Still early but from what I have seen the federal, state and local agencies are doing a great job in what is an epic tragedy.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:17 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
You all need to stop using the Rita excuse. It's been discussed, TX saw the failures, they implemented MANY things so that wouldn't happen again, yet this mayor still did not plan ahead and get people evacuated. They talked about how to control traffic flow, staggering, the special needs people, etc. Everything that has been pointed out on this thread that people claim is "impossible" to do. No, it's not, if you do your actual job. This was written in 2006, eleven years ago.

http://www.hro.house.state.tx.us/interim/int79-2.pdf

Note this particular paragraph:

Quote:
Some local officials successfully arranged staggered evacuations by ordering people in large, unwieldy vehicles, such as trailers and motor homes, to leave first. Because those vehicles typically move slower than regular traffic and are more susceptible to jackknifing in heavy winds, officials in those communities found that staggered evacuations ran more smoothly.
More:

Quote:
TxDOT settled on plans to install additional Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) sites along hurricane evacuation routes. ITS, currently in use in Austin, Houston, and San Antonio, utilizes closed-circuit television cameras and vehicle counters that can be monitored and managed remotely. While the system cannot count the number of evacuees, it can count vehicles and determine their rates of speed to alert officials of traffic clogs along evacuation routes...
Quote:
...The task force is expected to develop a plan to adopt contraflow into the evacuation plans and is working with TxDOT and the Department of Public Safety to find a workable option.
That was written in 2006. It's now 2017. So the "Rita" excuse doesn't fly.

The mayor being a pos, does.

And again, Houston flooding and people dying is not an unknown thing. It doesn't require a hurricane. Therefore, as the mayor, it's his job to ensure the safety of his people based on what he knows about the city and how it endures (or doesn't) during normal weather and extreme weather:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b06d67e3386fb7

Quote:
Houston will likely face this evacuation conundrum again. The metro area is exceptionally flat and sits about 50 feet above sea level, making it prone to flooding events that have only increased in frequency and severity. Since the 1950s, the region has seen a 167 percent increase in heavy downpours, Climate Central found in 2015.

Some of the worst rainfall and flooding catastrophes have occurred in recent years. In April 2016, the Houston area was soaked by a one-in-10,000 year rainfall event. In May the year before, a similar rain and flooding disaster unfolded.

Climate scientists warn that the frequency and intensity of these wet weather events is likely to increase as global temperatures rise, turning otherwise regular storms into disasters like Hurricane Harvey.
Naw, let's just pretend nothing can be done while more drown. Let's not hold people accountable so things can change for the better. No, let's simply attack those who put the truth out there to you.

Oops, my bad, they did order a mandatory evacuation. Four days too late:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/houston...y-cant-get-out

Quote:
The first mandatory evacuations of the Houston area were ordered early Monday morning, four days after it was first clear Hurricane Harvey would drown America’s fourth-largest city.
Hmmm. They can't do it before the storm, it's "impossible', but they can do it DURING the storm. Aaaah.

Quote:
Officials in Harris and Fort Bend counties told some residents Monday morning to leave ahead of imminent flooding. The Brazos River southwest of Houston is expected to swell to 60 feet and overtop levees. There are fears the levees may fail, in a repeat of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Meanwhile, people living downstream from reservoirs designed to protect downtown Houston from flooding have been told to prepare for the controlled release of water by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to relieve pressure on dams.
Quote:
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott told Houston residents that even in the absence of an official evacuation order, “you need to strongly consider evacuating.”

But there was immediate pushback from Houston officials, who said they knew better.
Yeah.

Quote:
Blanco said 1.3 million people were evacuated from the New Orleans area before Katrina hit.
Wait! That's "impossible"!!

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 08-31-2017 at 03:32 PM..

Old 08-31-2017, 03:22 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Panic buying of gasoline is now occurring in Dallas and will spread from there on news of the pipeline shutdowns and sticker shock as people watch prices go up (futures up 25 cents just today). Shortages over the Labor Day weekend look like a certainty east of the Rockies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies