Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 06:29 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Well if another one comes to Houston it looks like few who really need to get out owing to flooding have cars anymore.

Those that do might not be able to buy gas if the supplies are gone.

Someone still hasn't figured out that the oil refineries should be moved inland and higher ground.

It takes about 4 years to build a grass roots oil refinery and petrochemical plant.

Perhaps 2 more for environmental impact statements and approval.

The added bonus for moving them is they likely would be more efficient, safer, and create thousands of jobs to build them.
One other consideration with Irma: If a category 4 or 5 storm hits the Miami area that would mean millions more that are needy. To rehabilitate all the wet houses in Texas and Louisiana and all the other states flooded by Harvey; how many drywall and spackle contractors would be needed?

I actually think, with the level of devastation from Harvey, that conventional construction will not work - just too many needy homeowners. It might work better to recruit the trade schools and construction crews to train homeowners to do-it-themselves. That also depends on whether there is even enough drywall to do the job?

I traveled down I-59 and across I-12 to I-10 (eventually to Houston and Laredo) after Katrina and I saw how many years it took to recover. This will be an enormous undertaking and I have no idea how it will all work out. Only 20% of the population has flood insurance; but that 20% relies on the other 80% for much of it's income. America relies on the Southeastern Texas for a good portion of it's economy and gas and oil.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:52 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
News report yesterday showed homeowners cutting off drywall, pulling out insulation. The flood waters had barely started to recede and from about three feet up, they were stripping it down to studs and siding.

Furniture looked like a lost cause, but homes look repairable.

What about electrical systems? Do they just dry out and go on, or replace.

Are flooded cars lost causes?

Old 09-01-2017, 06:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There was no Politics in this decision. You and I both recall 2005 and what a disaster that evacuation where 100+ people dying and thousands being stranded without gas and food.

Harvey was to hit around Corpus and very few predicted what happened. It grew from a Cat 1 to a Cat 4 in about 18 hours and stalled between 2 high pressure systems.

Today in DFW our gas stations are closing due to no gas supplies.

We are with you guys. We've all seen videos of citizen heroes. That's what TX (and others) is all about.

Thanks for your posts. Stay strong.
Here in the Tyler, TX area, pumps are also running out of gas. My husband bought the very last diesel at one location and we had to go to another location to find more to fill up his tank (yes, he was nearly on empty so we had to fill up that particular vehicle even though we're being told all over the media NOT to try to fill up if we wouldn't normally do so).

I love the rescue videos - people are amazing. This is what we're all about, folks.

I appreciate so much all the help from Americans across the country - not just in Texas (though that has been amazing to watch). For instance, my grandkids in Ohio organized a lemonade stand in their neighborhood. They also have several friends who go to violin or cello or viola lessons with them, and they brought their instruments and played them on the corner at the lemonade stand. They had a big sign saying "Raising money to send for Hurricane Harvey relief" with the three donation causes listed - Red Cross, Salvation Army, and SPCA. They raised nearly $200 in just about two hours! I thought that was so sweet!

This same sort of scenario is being played out across the country. Just in Tyler yesterday I saw at least 3 trailers set up in different locations being filled with donations of bottled water, diapers, blankets, etc. Tyler has also set up an Evacuee Processing Center where incoming evacuees can be directed to various resources. I saw the signs pointing to that facility as well. Various churches have already been opening up to accept evacuees. I believe at last count we had over 1000 "official" evacuees in Tyler (3 hours north of Houston) and of course this doesn't count people who have been staying with friends or family.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:09 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
News report yesterday showed homeowners cutting off drywall, pulling out insulation. The flood waters had barely started to recede and from about three feet up, they were stripping it down to studs and siding.

Furniture looked like a lost cause, but homes look repairable.

What about electrical systems? Do they just dry out and go on, or replace.

Are flooded cars lost causes?
Solid furniture could be dried and many simply cleaned with good furniture oil - providing that laminations did not separate. It is only upholstered furniture that is a total loss.

I would like to hear from the electricians. I would think that as long as you remove the faceplates and replace the outlets/switches that the wires should be fine - but I was only an electrician's helper.

As far as the cars; I think they are now scrap. But I could be wrong?

Old 09-01-2017, 07:19 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
And he'll get a huge tax write off for this since the America people may actually expect him to pay his taxes once president. The previous thread was locked after nearly all posts from non-Trump lovers were removed. I wonder how things will work out with this even more partisan, lame, and spiteful thread?
Do you have a link that proves Trump hasn't paid his legally owed taxes in the past?
A darling of the democrats Charlie Rangel was actually caught cheating on his taxes and the Dems gave him a free pass. Same guy that leases a brand new Cadillac on the tax payers dime every year.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:20 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Solid furniture could be dried and many simply cleaned with good furniture oil - providing that laminations did not separate. It is only upholstered furniture that is a total loss.

I would like to hear from the electricians. I would think that as long as you remove the faceplates and replace the outlets/switches that the wires should be fine - but I was only an electrician's helper.

As far as the cars; I think they are now scrap. But I could be wrong?
Romex which is used in residential construction has paper insulation. It is not rated for water exposure and no code would let it be used after extended submersion. I don't know if Texas even has code enforcement though. Many people who are DIYing repairs will just leave the wiring.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:21 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Just read where one home has had 16 flood claims in the last 18 years.

National Flood Insurance Program is now "nearly $25 billion in the red."

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...hington-215549

How can that be?

Old 09-01-2017, 07:23 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
not your business to ask

Embarrassed?

Old 09-01-2017, 07:25 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Just read where one home has had 16 flood claims in the last 18 years.

How Washington Made Harvey Worse - POLITICO Magazine

How can that be?
Just about everyone they interview on the news says they were flooded once, twice, or more previously. It's time to cut the federal gravy train to these people in low lying coastal areas.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:30 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Obama (net worth 40mil) donated over a million dollars to charity during his presidency.

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...ww.google.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies