Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 09:28 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I heard Trump donated a million. Hope the check clears.
He's pledged a million, not actually donated it. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for him to even write the check.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:29 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Trump will say something like He's donated more money then anyone else, then later tell everyone he never said that.
With Trump's propensity to lie and his track record when it comes to grandiose claims with no facts to support them, I won't believe anything until it's verified by the organization itself. It would not surprise me if this million dollar donation never shows up anywhere.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:29 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
What a REAL billionaire can do without even breaking a sweat....https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/01/b...rvey.html?_r=0
Yeah!
Maybe The Clinton Foundation will chip in! They have $2 billion on hand.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:30 AM

1,548 posts, read 912,527 times
They are probably in the midst of conducting a poll to see what the correct amount to donate would be.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:31 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post

With Trump's propensity to lie and his track record when it comes to grandiose claims with no facts to support them, I won't believe anything until it's verified by the organization itself. It would not surprise me if this million dollar donation never shows up anywhere.

Same here I would be surprised if the check even get written let alone get sent.

Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Ive heard they have more than enough help, supplies. Canada didnt accept our help to fight their forrest fires. Guess they had it under control too.

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Now they are talking up to 100 Billion - which means, assuming 100 million US taxpayer filings which contain a reasonable amount of money, that is $1,000 for me and you (probably more for me!)....

This brings the question(s) into a larger focus. Note - this 100 Billion is in addition to insurance, donations (I made mine!) and other cash efforts.

Now - what if this next hurricane hits there? Could it be 200 Billion?

Is there no point at which we should stop? It's really strange when the GOP Congress held up 1.5 Billion for Zika (which was really serious..and in danger of spreading big time), but now they want a blank check on Texas?

Note - I support common sense. If that 100 Billion had been spent to build flood protections over a couple decades...like the Netherlands, etc - wouldn't that be a better use? This figure also is 4 to 5X the supposed cost of "the wall" and enough to make a serious dent in the uninsured (health care) nationally.

I think we all know that this money is going to come straight out of debt and deficit - especially since DURING the storm, Trump announced he wants to cut corporate taxes for large (C) corporations. Anyone with 1/2 a brain knows that this means the people will be paying as opposed to the corporations.

We need more long term planning in this country and - yes - that includes for global warming and rising sea levels. We have plenty of land available - if cities and wealthy people want to live on barrier islands or lowlands, perhaps they should pay the REAL cost of doing so?

Lots of questions...and so few answers from our "short term" government. Also, this totally exposes the hypocrisy of the "balance the budget" types who seem to have clammed up once Trump was elected. Crickets.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:32 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Let's see: Thousands of people are still in peril due to the flooding and hundreds of volunteers are rushing in to help versus 40 people arrested for looting. Which is the more important story for CNN and other national news outlets to tell? It's not a hard choice to make for most people with a heart.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:32 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
President Trump is donating $1 M of his own money for Harvey relief. But don't hold your breath for Clinton or Obama to follow suit.

Even so, the "mainstream" (Leftist) Media continues to focus on Melania's shoes (she wore heels when she boarded Air Force One to visit the area), and claim Trump shows "no compassion" (MSNBC). I guess they expected to see him hugging people like Obama or Clinton would have done. No, Trump is more "let's get to work" oriented. That isn't what they want. Liberals are moved by emotion, not real action.

But let's see if Obama or Clinton offer donations of their own money to help the victims. So far, has been their response.

How about this question, Nonsenseguy.........I just sent a check to help out, how about YOU ? Did you contribute.

Rather than take swipes at Obama and Clinton for something you can not confirm nor that is any of your business, how about you taking the lead ?

Old 09-01-2017, 09:33 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Let's not forget the white folks on a boat flying a Confederate Battle flag rescuing black people.

This black white bull**** is exactly that. You need to understand that the elitists who have ripped off America have played both white and blacks. They know as long as they keep the pot stirred they can run off with all the wealth. The civil war had nothing to do with slavery other than the business concern of the south using free slave labor as opposed to the north having paid labor. It was all about money and greed. The enemy of all races in America are the elitists, the top 1%, who continue to exploit working folks.

How many elitists did you see in the news videos up to their necks in water rescuing folks of all races, dogs, cats, etc."
It is much wider than 1% engaging in elitism and class warfare. NIMBYs and their ilk gentrifying and zoning out anyone who isn't "them". Elitism is the new racism. They HAVE to keep the lower classes divided, who would be too much of a force if they aligned. A lot of us might be surprised that we ARE now part of the lower class, despite being financially stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies