Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 06:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
No, you don't "get it."

The same arguments that were put out after Hurricane Sandy are just as applicable here. If we are going to spend $80+ billion helping these folks out, where are we going to cut?

The political affiliation of the flood victims make no difference.
This rolls back to the argument about repeatedly paying for the same homes being destroyed by floods. At what point do you say enough.
Secondly, at what point does peoples personal responsibility start and the government's stop? It used to be that charities were the buffer between people in need and the government trough.
When did that end and how do we restart it?

Old 09-02-2017, 06:11 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What surprised me about the snail darter is that it turns up every place any work has to be done. For endangered; it knows how to multiply!
With our i-540 extension it was clams. All resolved now.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:23 PM

57,279 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
This rolls back to the argument about repeatedly paying for the same homes being destroyed by floods. At what point do you say enough.
Secondly, at what point does peoples personal responsibility start and the government's stop? It used to be that charities were the buffer between people in need and the government trough.
When did that end and how do we restart it?
If they don't change now they never will, they had a deficit of over $25B from sandy and Katrina. Some of these people have been flooded out 3 years in a row, this is insane. This people need to help but rebuilding in many of these areas is ignoring the facts. I was reading about Meyersland, TX a city of a few thousand and this is their 3rd consecutive flooding.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:14 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
With our i-540 extension it was clams. All resolved now.

I love clams; did you save some? How about a little Cajun sauce on them!

Old 09-02-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Sorry, but I can't help but laugh - the Left has become a JOKE.
Based on an Old Texas Battle Flag during our Revolution against Mexico
Come and Take them
Much older than that:
"According to Plutarch, Xerxes, king of Persia,
demanded that the Spartans surrender their weapons
and King Leonidas I responded with this phrase."
"Sounds so awesome in Greek"

Old 09-02-2017, 08:42 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
Does anybody know good reliable trustworthy charities to donate to for Harvey victims?

Old 09-02-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I love clams; did you save some? How about a little Cajun sauce on them!
We be havin dat feast last year aboud lasmonth time but come on back in da Spring when we be having them crawdadas.
"Love dat bouillabaisse"

Old 09-02-2017, 08:47 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Come and Take them
Much older than that:
"According to Plutarch, Xerxes, king of Persia,
demanded that the Spartans surrender their weapons
and King Leonidas I responded with this phrase."
"Sounds so awesome in Greek"
I actually studied the Greeks/Spartans in Public School, but that was in the Olden Days when Teachers were about Education and not recruitment for Social Justice Warriors.

Fast forward to the enlightenment of 2017 ...... Outrage of the Day is a pair of High Heel Pumps.
Nobody could have ever imagined how far the down the Leftists have taken up.

"Remember Goliad" ...... it's sorta right up there with "Don't Mess with Texas".
Neither one ever dreamed it would be over a style of Women's Shoes.

"Our New Normal" in our O-Era "Transformed America"

Old 09-02-2017, 09:25 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Really? Name some that he rolled back that had any effect on this disaster.
Did I say it had any effect on THIS disaster? No I did not. Don't be ridiculous, the damage he's doing won't have repercussions felt until future disasters.

Quote:
The Obama-era standard required that builders factor in scientific projections for increased flooding and ensure projects can withstand rising sea levels and stronger downpours.

It required all federal agencies apply the standard to public infrastructure projects from housing to highways.

Rafael Lemaitre, former director of public affairs at FEMA who worked on the Obama-era order, said Trump is undoing “the most significant action taken in a generation” to safeguard U.S. infrastructure.

“Eliminating this requirement is self-defeating; we can either build smarter now, or put taxpayers on the hook to pay exponentially more when it floods. And it will,” he said.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1AV1ZI

While I'm all for streamlining processes, it's very short sighted to roll back regulations for commerce's sake, foresight (or benefit of hindsight) be damned.

Regardless of what you believe about climate change, this is the third 500 year flood in Houston in as many years. Builders needs to take that into consideration. Unfortunately, as Donald well knows, there are unscrupulous developers and government contractors that don't care about pesky money costing safety rules, and will do the least they can get away with. Someone has to mandate it be done.

Some of the most arduous and costly regulations when it comes to doing adaptive reuse on old urban buildings are siesmic retrofit rules. But we've learned how to make buildings a lot safer in earthquakes and to do so is a moral requirement, AFAIC. Same with fire regulations. I do not trust that many developers would go through that process unless it was legally required.

Fast and cost effective rebuilding is great, but fast at the expense of future lives is not.

Remember the apartment building fire in London last month?

Old 09-02-2017, 09:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Does anybody know good reliable trustworthy charities to donate to for Harvey victims?
If my husband and I had done a monetary donation rather than gathering up supplies, we would have donated to Samaritan's Purse.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...ary&orgid=4423

Good question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies